Monolith and Obelisk

dice4thedicegod

I know our best LoW is the silent king but... the others all look so much more necrony to me. So, I’m thinking of breaking into LoW and, while I’d heard that the monolith was not quite there, the obelisk was terrible.

However, having looked at it... it doesn’t seem too bad (as long as you remain stationary). Running some numbers, I make expected wounds from shooting attacks as:

Versus ‘knights’ (T8, 3+/5++):

Monolith (gauss version) = 7w

Monolith (death rays) = 9w

Obelisk (stationary) = 8w

Versus ‘marines’ (T4, 3+, 2w each):

Monolith (gauss version) = 4 or 5 dead

Monolith (death rays) = 3 dead

Obelisk (stationary) = 7 dead

The big advantage for the monolith appears to be that it can move and also melee. But the obelisk, as long as it can sit in a good spot (or maybe advance on the first turn) seems like it could put in some work. Also has a few more wounds and (due to the nature of Tesla) is less susceptible to suffering from bracketing BS (i.e average hits per dice decrease from 6/6 to 5/6 to 4/6, rather than 4/6 to 3/6 to 2/6).

Am I going crazy?

The shorter range of the obelisk combined with its shorter range is a problem. The Monolith also has more utility utilizing its teleport ability and its CC abilities.

However, I think the superior LoW is the tesseract vault. It’s point cost is higher, but it puts out a large number of MWs. And it has the 4++.

It’s also for the big (potentially) 2d6 range on the explode.

Yeah, but for the cost of a tesseract vault you could almost have two transcendent c’tan. Each a cosmic tyrant... that’s 4 normal c’tan powers instead of two buffed ones... and much better melee!

(I’m not sure the tesseract vault gives anything that isn’t done better by c’tan and plasmancers...)

The monolith definitely wins over the obelisk in terms of flexibility (maneuver/melee etc).

Edited by dice4thedicegod

I believe the Vault casts 3 powers at top bracket, and knows 4 powers.

I find Tesla underwhelming the lack of ap hurts it, especially with the prevalence of storm shields and terminators these days.

Edited by Trollbeard

I believe the Vault casts 3 powers at top bracket, and knows 4 powers.

I find Tesla underwhelming the lack of ap hurts it, especially with the prevalence of storm shields and terminators these days.

Oh - just reread the vault and you are right, cast 3 powers. That does make the vault a lot more appealing!

Perhaps not what you're asking for, but all I can say is I've seen some very competitive games where the Monolith's utility (movement of core units?) has made a huge difference.

I think everyone (competitively) always taking Relentless expansionist just shows how the army needs to move better. I think the utility I have witnessed of the Monolith in 9th ed does count for something. 

Would QS help it that much? One better save against melta, one better wound from lascannon. If it was free it would be nice, but I wouldn’t want to pay much for it. I’d rather a form of grinding advance (like guard tanks get).

I think the better fixes, for all necron LoW except the silent king would be:

- getting dynasty traits easily

- not costing so much CP

... you know, like putting them in heavy support!

I think another mark against the obelisk is the prevalence of Death Guard and Dark Angels competitively. Both being tougher to wound and the -1 damage negate the benefits of the obelisk Tesla buffs.

I think out of the two I prefer the Monolith as you can kit it to be anti vehicle easier and it can move our core blocks around as well.

I think now it's just a running joke for GW. Nobody cares since most people built the tesseract anyway?

Snarkiness aside. If they took another whack at the gravity gimmick and made a decent aura that affected all units that fly, that would be fantastic. I honestly try to look at the obelisk every once in awhile, but I'd rather just have a monolith for the reasons mentioned. Or a void dragon at that point.