Best Base Converters? (25 mm to 32mm)

Just like the title says, I am looking to upgrade a whole lot of 25mm bases on my old infantry in order to be able top participate in a tournament.

Looking for options that wont break the bank, and will allow me to incorporate the existing base in a way that will allow a close to seamless look with a little paint and basing work.

3d printing works well for this. Assuming you don't have anywhere available to print yourself, you can get them done for you, e.g. this etsy version.

It's not significantly harder to just convert the existing 25mm base to a 'topper' - it's doable even if you have an old metal foot tab in the base (with a saw or sufficiently beefy snips). Basically you trim the sides of the 25mm base off (an irregular pattern actually works better than a careful round one), and sand the remaining base piece flat underneath. Glue onto a 32mm or 40mm base as appropriate, add more basing material to blend in, then paint to match.

Guide here.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2RPZRuXeJd4/VOSzpo7l9WI/AAAAAAAABdg/M8rGyzYm6ZA/s1600/Step1.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wFnhWVdCzM8/VOSzrbQy9SI/AAAAAAAABeA/dJjgDvMIZS8/s1600/Step4B.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WJlmtjQgSfE/VOSzswQGOuI/AAAAAAAABec/tSw-OAWQ4zM/s1600/Step6.jpg

Most tournaments let you use whatever base the model was supplied with. Which one is insisting on standardised basing? There isn't really much advantage to different sized bases.

Ya, that's how I thought it was suppose to work. We have a guy posting and I guess running tournaments and he insists Ork need to be on 32 MM bases now but there is no Official rule from GW on that. He's all about those officially unofficial house rules. Or so I gathered during a chat with him. so These "TO's" are out there.  

On a related note I ordered 100 drop in 25 to 32 MM bases today from a shop on Ebay, they look a bit like the ones in the post above. 

There's another shop that has 25 to 32 MM rings in MDF in a bag of 200, I think those are shipped from China? Not sure, didn't buy them. 

It is the upcoming Lone Star Open by Frontline Gaming (same folks that run the LVO in Vegas)

I checked with them twice and they confirmed they need to be on 32's: https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2021/04/14/lone-star-open-2021-registration-is-now-open/

Most tournaments let you use whatever base the model was supplied with. Which one is insisting on standardised basing? There isn't really much advantage to different sized bases.

Ya, that's how I thought it was suppose to work. We have a guy posting and I guess running tournaments and he insists Ork need to be on 32 MM bases now but there is no Official rule from GW on that. He's all about those officially unofficial house rules. Or so I gathered during a chat with him. so These "TO's" are out there.  

On a related note I ordered 100 drop in 25 to 32 MM bases today from a shop on Ebay, they look a bit like the ones in the post above. 
There's another shop that has 25 to 32 MM rings in MDF in a bag of 200, I think those are shipped from China? Not sure, didn't buy them. 

What did you search for on Ebay?

It is the upcoming Lone Star Open by Frontline Gaming (same folks that run the LVO in Vegas)

I checked with them twice and they confirmed they need to be on 32's: https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2021/04/14/lone-star-open-2021-registration-is-now-open/

What did you search for on Ebay?

I saw their base guideline rules doc and as I was looking at Ork had to laugh at them as they didn't even have the right base size for Ghaz because officially Ghaz is the newest version now based on the points GW's given for him, they left out the points for the older on whose in the codex.  I'd have expected the itc to have sorted that out correctly for as popular as it's suppose to be.  So pretentious. 

I'll PM you the links.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen so many arguments on how much impact 7mm per base has across an army on Facebook. Kinda like the ones about going over a points limit by .005% life's too short, it's supposed to be a game.

I've seen so many arguments on how much impact 7mm per base has across an army on Facebook. Kinda like the ones about going over a points limit by .005% life's too short, it's supposed to be a game.

I agree, honestly- and I am a bit peeved about the extra work. But I really want to play in this tournament, so it is what it is.

Ok so I'm in the midst of repaint and basing my army from 2006ish guard. If I'm understanding this thread right I need to change all my guardsmen from the bases they came with to new 32mm? I just finished re-basing my heavy weapon teams onto single bases and having to do another 100 models is going to add more than a little to my backlog.

Ok so I'm in the midst of repaint and basing my army from 2006ish guard. If I'm understanding this thread right I need to change all my guardsmen from the bases they came with to new 32mm? I just finished re-basing my heavy weapon teams onto single bases and having to do another 100 models is going to add more than a little to my backlog.

Nah, guardsmen are still on 25mm you're good.

I mean Marines look much better on 32mm which is great but arguing about it? Better things to do with my life.

Nah, guardsmen are still on 25mm you're good.

I mean Marines look much better on 32mm which is great but arguing about it? Better things to do with my life.

I can't argue with the fact SM's look and fit better on 32's- I just don't want to do it, lol.

Just found out I have to adapt all my classic bikes, too. Oy!

Well good news for my guard, adding one more hurdle to catch my SW up with. Thanks for the clarification.

Onto the original topic, how are basing stuff attached? most of the older stuff I saw was able to be peeled off of the base and then cut away from the model. Not sure how feasible that is for your situation. Mine was just some basic sand and static grass. Arkhanus up above may have the best idea if you cant get the exact basing stuff you used originaly.

Well good news for my guard, adding one more hurdle to catch my SW up with. Thanks for the clarification.

Onto the original topic, how are basing stuff attached? most of the older stuff I saw was able to be peeled off of the base and then cut away from the model. Not sure how feasible that is for your situation. Mine was just some basic sand and static grass. Arkhanus up above may have the best idea if you cant get the exact basing stuff you used originaly.

I found some converters on Etsy that look like they will work ok for troops- I will document using them on my main army thread if you are interested. I think I can blend in the edges and still have it look ok. The bikes will be harder... I got a hold of some blank 75x42mm bases (the current correct size) and I have to do some experimenting to figure out the easier way to adapt them. I may just layer my existing base on top and use miliput or something to "sculpt" ground around them.

I've rebased well over 100 models using these. There's the odd gap to fill when converting some old slotta bases but most almost don't even need glue (though I still glued them). A quick run with paint-on primer and then it's just up to how much work it will be to match the existing base scheme.

https://ttadapters.com/