Codex Incoming!

Unfortunately attacks are allocated after successfully wounding. That's the only time allocate is used in the core rules.

What a lousy way to word the rules :sad.:

Unfortunately attacks are allocated after successfully wounding. That's the only time allocate is used in the core rules.

This is GW. When have they ever been known for being good at writing rules?

Try to keep up you two.  We haven't allocated hits in several editions, before 7th I'm sure, so at least 7 years ago.  If you recall we had a bunch of :censored:  back then spread hits around on multi-wound models as a way to avoid taking casualties.

So stop acting like you are learning about this for the first time.  Your opponent doesn't have a part to play during your shooting phase until you deal damage.

Edited by ValourousHeart

This is GW. When have they ever been known for being good at writing rules?

Try to keep up you two.  We haven't allocated hits in several editions, before 7th I'm sure, so at least 7 years ago.  If you recall we had a bunch of :censored:  back then spread hits around on multi-wound models as a way to avoid taking casualties.

So stop acting like you are learning about this for the first time.  Your opponent doesn't have a part to play during your shooting phase until you deal damage.

I was speaking of allocating attacks, not allocating hits.

When I first read the weapon description 'allocating attacks' sounded like it was describing the step that happened when you picked out your target and your attacking Unit, and then would assign, or allocate, a certain number of the attacks the friendly has available on an Enemy unit, but it isn't so I was mistaken.

SkimaskMohawk is correct, and I found it on p.220 of the Core rulebook: Allocating Attacks is the step directly after making a successful Wound Roll. And that's why I was wrong about the Relic.

Looks like the sanctum got kinda nerfed. I liked taking it but now for a point more it isnt an auto MD anymore. Still good tho.

I really wish the Sanctum was just the statue. Game boards just don't generally have the room for an entire extra ruin to be added, even if you ignore the 3" rule. Plus 115 USD is a little hard to swallow for terrain that looks nice but really isn't part of the army.

I think the battle sanctum has SOME play with our characters who tend to have less shooting options, like the Dogmata, but then it has a tether. Doesn't the Dogmata also have a trait to let a unit shoot and still take actions? But I think having the unarguable traits and extra MD MAY have a place if physical placement is not an issue.

In my opinion, that's 90% of the problem with the Sanctum. The rest is a points hike that makes little sense.

In a friendly game, you almost have to be playing on planet bowling ball to ensure all possible deployment zones have enough space that it can be deployed anywhere with at least 3" of space between it and terrain features. It also lends to you, your opponent, or even a third party placing terrain in such a way that it can only be deployed in certain spots - intentionally or unintentionally.

In a competitive event there's almost no guarantee that you'll even be able to deploy it, which means those 85 points are better spent on other things.

Edited by taikishi

Bloody Rose is definitely still good, and best of all I think all the other Orders can bring something to the table. I'm going to see what I can do with Sacred Rose. :)

I will be building 25PL Crusades for all 6 Orders so that they can quest for their Triumph Relics. Some of those Crusades will reach full army size, but others will stay smaller. Should give me a chance to try everything.

Regarding the Sanctum- one of the things that is nice about it (if you can place it) is that it is still indestructible, Most of the other faction based fortifications can be destroyed, but ours cannot.

Got my first game with the new codex in today against my buddy that was playing Tau. I can post my list later if anyone is interested. My buddy was playing pretty much a clone Richard Siegler's recent semifinalist list. I learned a ton and thought I'd share my thoughts with you.

Ebon Chalice is good. I'm not sure it's the best, but it's certainly very good. The stratagem is great. Virtually guaranteed targetable 3 MW per turn is nothing to sneeze at, especially when cheap stuff like hand flamers can do it so easily. The warlord trait is likewise very good. Most games it'll get you 4-5 extra CP, and boy do you burn through those quick. For Sacred Rights, I used Divine Guidance & hand of the emperor for the first 2 turns. Then (incorrectly) swapped out hand of the emperor for the Passion. After the game, I realized Battle Rites is random, not a pick so I will probably never use that again. I will say, having 3 out of 6 sacred Rights being close to worthless really hurts.

Immolators, as others have said, just don't do enough for their cost. I don't know how on earth the designers thought 2 heavy flamers was worth more than 50 points over the rhino. Even scouting with dominions doesn't make them worth it since you lose cargo space to do it.

Sadly, due to misdeployment and a viscous alpha strike, I didn't get to use my 3 penitent engines, my big 20 sister blob, or my dialogus. I did learn that blast weapons are scary as hell if you have 20 models in a group, and defenders of the faith triggers in your turn so it doesn't help at all with first turn survivability.

Units that are still scary? Repentia. A squad of repentia with the Passion ate my opponents big crisis blob in one round of combat. Repentia superior are most now due to the +1 to wound aura. The other benefit is amazing, but unlikely to come into play due to being needed in the command phase and needing to be in 3".

Celestine is still a beast and is a steal for 200 points. The mortal wounds on her sword are really nice and the healing Tears action is bonkers.

The exorcist lost a lot of tools, but there's definitely place for 1 in most lists. It's now one of the games premier artillery pieces. Characters left out of place don't stand a chance and other artillery pieces stand no chance of winning in a duel.

Overall, the book is a wash with the previous one imo. Some stuff is better, some is worse. And I'm still salty I can't kit out my BSSs the same way I have since 6th.

I've gotten 3 small games with the new book. In all the games I was stretching points because I don't have a lot of models to work with yet so all my observations come with a grain of salt.

1st games vs DG I got tabled. First time using the army ect and I made a lot of mistakes. I really really liked how Argent Shroud let the army play as this ultra fast close range shooting scalpel. I was unimpressed with the Exorcist anti tank variant. If you're running Argent Shroud this seems like points wasted vs run and gun Retributors.

2nd game vs Ad Mech my friend kindly didn't run the nastiest list he could...but still facing Lucius vanguard and rangers who are functionally 2+ armor saves vs most sisters infantry guns was not fun. Iron Striders put Paragons to shame for fewer points and more durability. Fighting ad mech felt like fighting a horde army who were simultaneously cheaper, more durable, and more deadly. I did carry a win by playing heavily to objectives and my opponent having really bad luck on a critical turn 4.

Paragons broke even on points, Retributors were solid, Dominions scouting a multimelta Immolator feels very very strong for Argent Shroud. I puts units on objectives turn 1 and a guarantee of getting half range melta shots turn one.

Vahl was sub par and mostly a weight around my neck. Her auras and full rerolls are amazing, but honestly I'd rather have had her points in more units. I don't think she hits her stride in small 1.5k or less games. Her missiles and bolter never really did anything. In melee she's an absolute terror. She maybe broke even on points but never felt very clutch for the game.

Absolute MVPs were 5 Sacresants. I will absolutely make room for these guys in future lists. They didn't do much offensively but they absorbed a massive amount of shooting and held a critical point for three turns which was worth probably a third of my total points. My opponent hated them.

Third game was vs a full Gravis Imperial Fist successor army. The army was cool, but it was a poor matchup vs an Argent Shroud army with heavy melta. Getting in half range was a guaranteed Gravis oneshot with melta and my opponent concerned in turn 2 because I was obliterating his army and he couldn't effectively take the center from me because of Vhal and the Sacresants in cover on a center objective.

Vahl felt a little more useful holding the center with a swarm of sisters units around her feeding off of her aura and reroll ability. Paragons made their points back and honestly could have continued dominating. Ran them up a dense cover flank. They killed four Gravis Intercessors and 5 Assault Terminators.

Again Sacresants were stars. Again they tanked a lot of shooting and took and held a critical midfield objective. They even got to fight a chapter master and do a few wounds before Vhal murdered him. I think these guys are vital to sisters holding objectives. They're cheap and don't rely on buffs to be survivable.

In the 2nd and 3rd game I ran the anti-infantry Exorcist variant. Honestly it felt a lot more useful and effective and the return on investment was better. Holding back field objectives while raining fire on my opponents back field units was very valuable. With Necrons, Sisters, and Ad Mech all starting to favor 10+ squads of infantry, blast artillery could be very valuable in future games.

Yea I had a game using argent shroud+bloody rose. Instead of using a big block and vahl I did msu multimelta troop squads, melta dominions+flamer rets (because disembark flat out says you can never count as remain stationary so I thought to just get around the to-hit roll) and then in the bloody rose I did sacresants in rhinos, repentia outflank and 2 units of two bolter mortifiers.

And my buddy came out with mars+ryza ad mech. The amount of overlapping, synergy building buffs felt frustrating to compare to the amount that got stripped from the sisters book, but that's the way she goes. The really annoying things weren't the chicken walkers or vanguard bomb, but the sterilizers. The blob just comes down, whacks a unit and then disappears. I feel like an army without good area denial tools will be frustrated by them. Similarly the vanguard bomb is pretty strong and needs to be planned for as well, that being said I just found out the strat he was using to wound on 4s to hit doesn't work on vehicles, so that's certainly a big deal.

There were some other things like unfortunate explodes and going second, but for a test list where I basically got no output from the dominions, retributors and sacresants I'm pretty happy with over 50vps and still feeling like I was in the game for a while.

Units that are still scary? Repentia. A squad of repentia with the Passion ate my opponents big crisis blob in one round of combat. Repentia superior are most now due to the +1 to wound aura. The other benefit is amazing, but unlikely to come into play due to being needed in the command phase and needing to be in 3".

Why wouldn't your Repentia Superior be within 3" of your Repentia squad?

Outflank or transport

Long charges from reserves with repentia often means your superior can't make the charge. And they don't have an opportunity to get back into 3" range before the command phase due to it happening before movement.

The ability is really hard to use more than once due to this. Giving repentia 3d6 charge rolls and advance and charge means they'll almost always be out of 3" every other turn.