A Bug's Life: Tyranids Painting Challenge Results & Rewards

Xenith

The deadline is 2nd of September right?

1st Sept, so get them on before midnight GMT on the first! Realistically, I'll cut-off at 9am GMT on the second when I get online and check, so anything before that goes. 

THEY'RE BAAAAAK....... and looking for pie:biggrin.:

med_gallery_49400_16060_1420039.jpg

It's been a heck of a month, but I'm back, armed with plenty of paint pots and ready to do battle for the greater glory of Hive Fleet Zorak. Since July was a total bust, I'm moving my vow to August, so......

I, Brother Lunkhead, for the greater glory of Hive Fleet Zorak and the never ending hunt for pie, pledge to paint one Genestealer Brood (20 Genestealers, 16 PL (I think)/300 Pts (I think) for the month of August.

I did things a little different with this batch. I still primed with Grey Seer, but omitted the dry brush of layers of Corax White and White Scar that I used on my Brood Lord. This was my base coat to which I applied two layers of Sybarite Green. I then added base details with Temple Guard Blue, Leadbelcher, Kabalite Green, and Phalanx Yellow. I did some touch ups late this afternoon and was very pleased with the results. I see no difference in brightness between my little gribblies and their Brood Lord. Here's what I have so far:

med_gallery_49400_16060_31812.jpg

med_gallery_49400_16060_244425.jpgmed_gallery_49400_16060_332425.jpg

The colors are a bit washed out....I'm still trying to work out the filter thang:wacko.:

Tonight they get a slathering of Agrax Earthshade, and tomorrow morning I start detailing. I don't know how it works for anyone else, but for me getting the base colors on is the most laborious part of modeling and least fun (not fun at all for me:down:). But once that's done, detailing is a fast and fun chore:thumbsup: This should be finished soon:unsure.: :yes: I'll post updates. Until then, remember.....

gallery_49400_16060_10798.jpg

Zorak loves pie......

and so should you:yes:

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

So I have been fairly occupied by my Thousand Sons this month, built a whole bunch and played some games, but I did squeeze in some painting time.

I chose not to use the darker wood on the Hormagaunts, so that I can more easily/quickly tell them apart from the Genestealers and Termagant that both use it.

gallery_29932_13875_14266.jpg

I rather liked the effect so was also more sparing of the darker wood on the Zoanthropes (basically just the bow), should contrast nicely to the Warriors. The arrow is a psychic smites, hence why it is in the energy purple, I have also put more purple on these guys than any of the others to emphasis the psychic nature of these.

gallery_29932_13875_56304.jpg

That's a lovely looking monster, Arson.

I've manged to over-run my expectations this month, and painted a whole three models instead of one.

jackals

That's 2.25 power levels that could really shake up the leaderboard. Or happy to stick with the 0.75 I pledged in the first place. 

Majestic looking Toxicrine/Maleceptor Arson Fire!

Well, I’ve managed to complete my vow for this month!!

It was a close run thing but I smashed out 8 Termagants in 2 days (I usually paint one model an evening!)

51415161442_158719d570_c.jpgTyranids Termagants

51416172213_89c9c862a5_c.jpgTyranids Termagants

I’m going for an easier vow next month, I think I’ll do a Carnifex.

It's about time I got back to my gribblies, I haven't touched them for about 3 years! May as well chuck myself in at the deep end :biggrin.:

I, TrawlingCleaner, vow to complete; 1 Jackal Alphus, 4 Atalan Jackals and 1 Wolfquad, 5 Acolyte Hybrids and 10 Neophyte Hybrids to a total of 17 PL (268 points), in the month of September

51416000992_9be4605bf7_b.jpg

Hive Fleet Zorak Gathers

July/August vow is finally completed:sweat: Twenty genestealers painted and ready for action. It's probably just as well that I took so long as I wasn't so sure of the paint scheme I'd chosen. I liked they way the Broodlord turned out, but when I started looking at all those genestealers, I wasn't so sure. In my mind they just didn't look quite right, but since I wasn't going to strip my HQ and start over again, the die was cast. Fortunately, it all turned out well in the end. Once I got the base coats on, I figured out what to do. If I'd rushed it at the end of July, these griblies would have looked very different, and not in a good way. I think they look pretty okay.

med_gallery_49400_16060_270493.jpg

sml_gallery_49400_16060_486206.jpgsml_gallery_49400_16060_243424.jpgsml_gallery_49400_16060_140998.jpgsml_gallery_49400_16060_524241.jpg

That little spore in front of each genestealer looks:happy.: ......... a bit odd. I may chop these off :pinch: .....later. Even though taking the extra time to finish this was the right move, I'm now one moth behind. That means bundling two months of minis in one. Fortunately, I'll still have fewer models to paint.

med_gallery_49400_16060_101059.jpg

My army thus far. The hunt for pie continues:yes:

gallery_49400_16060_10798.jpg

Zorak is hungry.... for pie:biggrin.:

Looking forward to seeing that lot painted up, TrawlingCleaner. What do you play them as?

This month I'm back on the characters, for a few more power levels. Well, I say characters; I mean character - one Jackal Alphus, for 4 PL.

Jackal Alphus

I forgot to take a photo before I started painting, so this represents one evening's work - she was bare plastic when I started.

For September I'll pledge to paint this Tyrannocyte, along with 6 termagants.

gSVeOPX.jpg

The tyrannocyte will be interesting. Lots of fleshy stuff on there, which won't look quite right if I make it all the standard red behemoth exoskeleton colour. So I'm thinking I'll blend flesh tones into red again, like I did with the toxicrene tentacles. But over a much larger and more complicated surface.