A Bug's Life: Tyranids Painting Challenge Results & Rewards

Xenith

Well, I failed to get my Warriors done in time so I'm going to roll them over to September, and I'll raise the stakes with a Hive Crone for an additional 8 PL.

Shame you didn't get them done, but another big vow - look forward to seeing that crone finished!

Looking forward to seeing that lot painted up, TrawlingCleaner. What do you play them as?

This month I'm back on the characters, for a few more power levels. Well, I say characters; I mean character - one Jackal Alphus, for 4 PL.

I forgot to take a photo before I started painting, so this represents one evening's work - she was bare plastic when I started.

No worries, that's fine!

Another moth, more Treeranids to do. After the horde last month I want to try a big one, so one count us Carnifex. As that looked a bit lonely on the painting table, I also added my three Biovore stand-ins, and at that point I might as well add the 12 spore mines.

gallery_29932_13875_10926.jpg

Ace treeman conversion! Got any closer up pics of the biovore and mines?

20x Brood Brothers

1x Armoured Sentinel

1x Biophagus and friend

What's the power level on those guys?

For September I'll pledge to paint this Tyrannocyte, along with 6 termagants.

gSVeOPX.jpg

The tyrannocyte will be interesting. Lots of fleshy stuff on there, which won't look quite right if I make it all the standard red behemoth exoskeleton colour. So I'm thinking I'll blend flesh tones into red again, like I did with the toxicrene tentacles. But over a much larger and more complicated surface.

Nice, don't think I've seen a non-GW studio one of these either. I have one to paint also, I'm going to do the fleshy bits in the same colours as the fleshy bits on the rest of the army/spore mines, so kind of pinkish. Are you going to do the top talon things fleshy also, or Behemoth exoskeleton?

++August Summary++

tenor.gif

Great work guys, we completed an incredible 80 Power Level between us, taking the team up to 195 PL completed in only 3 months! Not only are we painting bigger stuff, but we managed another 135 wounds in total also, the equivalent of the previous 2 months combined, giving us a total of 259 wounds of biomass painted. 

As a refresher, here are the vows and completions.

August (Deadline 1st September)
Total PL/Member/Vowed, with pic/Complete

22.5 Arson Fire: 1 Maleceptor + 5 Genestealers (13 PL)

10 Azekai:

0 Brother Argent: 

5.3 Brother Lemartes: 4 Warriors (5.3 PL)

23 Brother Lunkhead: 20 Genestealers (16PL)

1.2 Grotsmasha: 2 Cultists (0.6 PL)

8.5 Halandaar: 3 Warriors (4PL)

28 Jud Cottrell: 12 Termagants, 1 Harpy, 3 Spore Mines (15 PL)

0 Mike Zulu: 

9 our_baz: 

8.9 Rogue: 1 Atalan Jackal (0.75 PL)

5 Ruskinses: 

0 ThePenitentOne: 

8.6 TPS: 

28 Trokair: 30 Hormagaunts + 3 Zoanthropes (16 PL)

8.7 WarriorFish: 1 Carnifex (6PL)

28.6 Xenith: 3 Zoanthropes  (7 PL)

Shout outs to Trokair for painting the most models (33) but also Arson Fire, Jud Cottrell and Warriorfish for challenging themselves to paint up MONSTERS!

Now for a quick look at the standings and upcoming vows:

Total PL painted so far/Frater/Vow for September

28.6 Xenith:

28.0 Trokair: Carnifex, 3 Biovores, 12 spore mines (16 PL)

28.0 Jud Cottrell: 

23.0 Brother Lunkhead: 

22.5 Arson Fire: Tyrannocyte, 6 termagants (8.4 PL)

10.0 Azekai:

9.0 our_baz:

8.9 Rogue: 1 Jackal Alphus (4 PL)

8.7 WarriorFish: 

8.6 TPS: 

8.5 Halandaar: 3 Warriors + 1 Hive Crone (12PL)

5.3 Brother Lemartes:

5.0 Ruskinses: 20x Brood Brothers, 1x Armoured Sentinel, 1x Biophagus and friend (?PL)

1.2 Grotsmasha:

0.0 Brother Argent: 

0.0 Mike Zulu: 

0.0 ThePenitentOne: 

0.0 TrawlingCleaner: 1 Jackal Alphus, 4 Atalan Jackals and 1 Wolfquad, 5 Acolyte Hybrids and 10 Neophyte Hybrids to a total of 17 PL

Some massive vows last month have really cut down on my lead, with myself, Trokair and Jud on 28+ power each, with Lunkhead and Arson not far behind. In the second pack, Azekai leads the group of 6 Frater on 8 - 10 Power - in fact we have 5 frater with only half a PL to differentiate them! 

Again, amazing work guys, I'm so impressed and pleased with the level of engagement, and I look forward to seeing what you all come up with this month.

Also, I'm thinking of having a small gallery of all the completions in the forge/elsewhere, so when this is all done it would be great to get army/group shots of all the models completed in the challenge. 

Edited by Xenith

I'll toss my hat into this. I'll vow my most recent order. The Swarmlord, 60 Termagants, 9 squads of rippers, and a squad of Zoanthropes.

:ohmy.: You'll vow to complete that in the month of september? Put up an unpainted photo with the power level and get painting! 

I'll toss my hat into this. I'll vow my most recent order. The Swarmlord, 60 Termagants, 9 squads of rippers, and a squad of Zoanthropes.

:ohmy.: You'll vow to complete that in the month of september? Put up an unpainted photo with the power level and get painting!

I might have messed up already, I have unpainted photos of the Swarmlord but not the Zoanthropes.

Another go large or go home vow.

I, our_baz,  pledge to paint  1 Hive Tyrant with wings, Monstrous Scything talons and Monstrous Boneswords for 11PL or ~215 points in the month of September 2021

Freshly primed today ready to start: my next vow of a Carnifex worth 6PL :thumbsup:

Since I have no Tyranid backlog, but felt like painting at least one bug, I got myself a Tervigon. Which I vow to paint this September, for 11 PL.

My vow for this month is a Carnifex for 6PL.

Nice vows guys, I see the big bugs are coming out! 

I haven't got any models assembled yet, but I need some smaller beasties, looking at 10 gants/gaunts.

-------------------

Updated to here. 

THE PIE IS SECURED:biggrin.:

med_gallery_49400_16060_204465.jpg

I, Brother Lunkhead, for the greater hunger of Hive Fleet Zorak, vow to paint and complete 3 Tyranid Warriors (5? PL/41? Pts) and 10 Gargoyles (3? or 4? PL/70 Pts) in the month of September for A Bug's Life Challenge 2021.

Hidden Content

I'm also very happy about this.......

I'M BAAAAACK:woot:

med_gallery_49400_16060_652756.jpg

Not Broodlord Larry, but Grey Seer for priming. I was down to just a few puffs on my last can with no new supplies in sight for months. I was in serious doubt of being able to finish this challenge without resorting to some cheap can spray that could potentially ruin my griblies:eek: Praise the Emperor Hive Mind, new paints are in at my FLGS's. They are in limited supply, so they are being rationed to one can per customer. That's OTAY by me, since that's all I need to finish this year's challenge. Happy, Happy, Happy:yes:

sml_gallery_49400_16060_10798.jpg

Zorak wants to know........

Where's the REST of my pie?:furious:

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Progress Update. Just a fair bit of work on various shades of red to do, not quite broke the back of it yet. Body has been given thin coat of yellow then drybrushed, just needs a wash then done. Wings are primed grey and drybrushed white ready for a dose of contrast paint.

gallery_72518_17087_642676.jpg

It's been windy every day since I posted my September vow. I feared I wouldn't be able to prime this month's mini's until it was too late. The wind finally calmed long enough late this afternoon to put paint to 'nids.

med_gallery_49400_16060_869376.jpg

Wind helps the paint blow on faster right? :tongue.: Keep the updates coming everyone it's good to see progress being made. I'm thinking that maybe I can get a cheeky texture paint done today with some luck...

...and with lots of dust in the air, it makes for great texturing too:happy.: You could call it a wind wind situation:wacko.:

Vow Complete!

gallery_84244_15233_103195.jpg

Vow Complete! :biggrin.:

51492888854_70f77ad279_h.jpg

Great work both, they all look amazing!

It's been windy every day since I posted my September vow. I feared I wouldn't be able to prime this month's mini's until it was too late. The wind finally calmed long enough late this afternoon to put paint to 'nids.

med_gallery_49400_16060_869376.jpg

Good start! Not long to go now though, only two completions this month with a lot more to go (myself included).

------------------

Updated to here.