A Bug's Life: Tyranids Painting Challenge Results & Rewards

Xenith

Goign for a bit of a big one for this month but hopefully I can do it:

I, TrawlingCleaner, vow to complete; 1 Sanctus, 5 Abherrants, 10 Acolyte Hybrids, 2 Achielles Ridgerunners and a Goliath Rockgrinder, for a total of 31 Power level, by months end.

51551879057_95f95e040e_b.jpg

AAAAAnd the 4th October GMT is gone, and Septembers vows are in:

September Vows (Deadline 4th October)
Total PL/Member/Vowed, with pic/Complete

22.5 Arson FireTyrannocyte, 6 termagants (8.4 PL)

10 Azekai:

Brother Argent

5.3 Brother Lemartes

23 Brother Lunkhead 3 Tyranid Warriors and 10 Gargoyles (7 PL)

1.2 Grotsmasha4 Hybrids (1.2PL)

8.5 Halandaar3 Warriors + 1 Hive Crone (12PL)

28 Jud CottrellCarnifex (6 PL)

Mike Zulu

our_baz1 Hive Tyrant with wings, Monstrous Scything talons and Monstrous Boneswords (11PL)

8.6 Rogue1 Jackal Alphus (4 PL)

Ruskinses20x Brood Brothers, 1x Armoured Sentinel, 1x Biophagus and friend (10PL)

ThePenitentOne: 

8.6 TPSTervigon (11 PL)

TrawlingCleaner1 Jackal Alphus, 4 Atalan Jackals and 1 Wolfquad, 5 Acolyte Hybrids and 10 Neophyte Hybrids to a total of 17 PL

28 Trokair:  Carnifex, 3 Biovores, 12 spore mines (16 PL)

8.7 WarriorFish Carnifex (6 PL)

28.6 Xenith1 Lictor (2PL)

Good work all, I'll start adding October's vows. 

OP updated to here

-------------------------------

Once again, waiting on the texturw paint to dry, but as far as Bugs Life is concerned, these are complete :thumbsup:

gallery_48988_16869_7438.jpg

Awesome work Grot, I'm also a contrast convert, it's nice to be able to crank out models in 10 mins!

Well, if there's plenty of time to get eight genestealers done, I'm going to pledge four of them (for 3.2 PL), for completion before the end of October.

These are the first of my old Space Hulk 'stealers to get the meths treatment, so that I can bring them in line with the rest of my Cult force. Only twenty more to go after this, with every chance that there'll still be some to finish off as part of Bug's Life 2022...

Not tempted to do all 8? :wink:

Goign for a bit of a big one for this month but hopefully I can do it:

I, TrawlingCleaner, vow to complete; 1 Sanctus, 5 Abherrants, 10 Acolyte Hybrids, 2 Achielles Ridgerunners and a Goliath Rockgrinder, for a total of 31 Power level, by months end.

51551879057_95f95e040e_b.jpg

Another massive vow, TC, one which I'm sure you're more than up to - you might run away with this!

I was vaguely planning on doing some midsized tyrnaids this month, such as the Lictor and Venomthrope Trees but as it is apparently the last month I thought I should go big, so for this month this is my vow:

Two Tyrants and a second Carnifex (Old One Eye stand in if needed).

gallery_29932_13875_31949.jpg

Both Tyrants have magnetized swords (and one has a staff) for ease of transport.

If I somehow finish these then maybe I can have a go at some more trees, if.

Found my final vow, a Neurothrope at 5PL :thumbsup:

gallery_30308_16534_36424.jpg

He has a special place as my only metal model, the rank and file Zoanthropes will all be the plastics when I get them. I'm hoping that being a smaller model can offset the time needed to file everything down and do some gap filling...

Seems I did something right, overall each of the assembly steps weren't that bad. I'll count my blessings :tongue.:

gallery_30308_16534_1690.jpg

Should be a more robust model for the milliput gap filling, I'll sort some additional weight to the underside of the base later the priority is to get over the finish line as soon as I can. We're almost a third of the way through the month already...

++September Summary++

tenor.gif

As a refresher, here are the vows and completions. We now have an amazing total of 298.9 Power Level painted between us, basically 75PL per month between all group members. 

September Vows (Deadline 4th October)
Spoiler 

Total PL/Member/Vowed, with pic/Complete

22.5 Arson FireTyrannocyte, 6 termagants (8.4 PL)
10 Azekai:
Brother Argent
5.3 Brother Lemartes
23 Brother Lunkhead 3 Tyranid Warriors and 10 Gargoyles (7 PL)
1.2 Grotsmasha4 Hybrids (1.2PL)
8.5 Halandaar3 Warriors + 1 Hive Crone (12PL)
28 Jud CottrellCarnifex (6 PL)
Mike Zulu
our_baz1 Hive Tyrant with wings, Monstrous Scything talons and Monstrous Boneswords (11PL)
8.6 Rogue1 Jackal Alphus (4 PL)
Ruskinses20x Brood Brothers, 1x Armoured Sentinel, 1x Biophagus and friend (10PL)
ThePenitentOne: 
8.6 TPSTervigon (11 PL)
TrawlingCleaner1 Jackal Alphus, 4 Atalan Jackals and 1 Wolfquad, 5 Acolyte Hybrids and 10 Neophyte Hybrids to a total of 17 PL
28 Trokair:  Carnifex, 3 Biovores, 12 spore mines (16 PL)
8.7 WarriorFish Carnifex (6 PL)
28.6 Xenith1 Lictor (2PL)

Shout outs to Halandaar, Our_Baz, TP TrawlingCleaner and Trokair for some massive >10PL vows

Now for a quick look at the standings and upcoming vows:

October (FINAL) Vows (Deadline 1st November)
Total PL painted so far/Frater/Vow for October

44 Trokair

34 Jud Cottrell:

30.9 Arson Fire
30.6 Xenith:

23 Brother Lunkhead:

20.5 Halandaar10 Neophyte Hybrids and 3 Spore Mines (6 PL)

20 our_baz:

19.6 TPS:

17 TrawlingCleaner1 Sanctus, 5 Abherrants, 10 Acolyte Hybrids, 2 Achielles Ridgerunners and a Goliath Rockgrinder (31 PL)

15 Ruskinses5 Atalan Jackals, a Primus & 3 Familiars (12 PL)
14 WarriorFishNeurothrope (5PL)
12.6 Rogue4 Genestealers (3.2 PL)

10 Azekai:

5.3 Brother Lemartes
2.4 Grotsmasha
Brother Argent:

Mike Zulu

ThePenitentOne: 

It's all change at the top going into the final month, with Jud, Arson and myself clustered in the low 30's, but with Trokair way out in front on 44 (all hail contrast paints). The next big cluster is at 15 - 20PL, and everyone that;s managed to get to there has done amazingly well, and still ins in the running for the top spot. Trawling Cleaner in particular has their sights set on the #1 spot with their absolutely massive vow!

It's all to play for going into the final month - myself, I need to pull something big out of the bag to be in the running - go big or go home! 

Edited by Xenith

I was vaguely planning on doing some midsized tyrnaids this month, such as the Lictor 

Would a Lictor just be a tree?

It should have been, but in the end for this army it is a Kurnoth with a scythe/hook to pull the victim in. If I get far enough with the two Tyrants and the Carnifex I will give the Lictors a try as well this month.

Hail Contrast indeed, without it I would still be on the first lot of  gaunts probably.

As the old man in Monty Python and the Holy Grail said, "I'm not dead yet!" Sorry for the long absence, but some serious family health issues sucked my hobby time and energy away most of September and first week of October. But, I'm back and plan to finish up my September vow and do a vow for this month, which will finish my basic (very, very basic:blush.: :tongue.:) Tyranid army for the year. More details to come, so stay tuned Bug lovers:biggrin.:

One finished vow :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_16534_63244.jpg

He came together quickly in the end, my nid scheme seems to break down well into smaller painting sessions and after the main colours there wasn't that much to do on the model so I could press on to finish him :smile.: Pleased to get him done and complete my vows in good time :biggrin.:

Nice work - I like the more muted tones, but with the one flash of orange as contrast.

Here are my genestealers (and no, definitely not tempted to go for all 8 - four is more than enough in one go).

genestealers

That's my last entry, as i have no confidence that I'll be able to finish any more units in the remainder of the month, and the next thing I want to paint up is a few utility markers for things like raising banners and tagging units that I want to remember are affected by something, and that doesn't carry any kind of power level. But thanks for putting this on, Xenith - it's been fun dropping in to the Tyranid pages every now and then :)

I'm starting things a bit late this month, but I'll aim to get these 5 genestealers and 5 neophytes done in what time is left.

Z6wBMUT.jpg

With the rumors of genestealer cults getting a codex in December, it seems like a nice idea to start fleshing out my cult army a little more. Haven't painted any of them in quite a while.

Plus with all the work I've done over the past few months my tyranid backlog has grown considerably smaller. So I'm feeling like moving on to something a little different.

Great work guys!

One finished vow :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_16534_63244.jpg

He came together quickly in the end, my nid scheme seems to break down well into smaller painting sessions and after the main colours there wasn't that much to do on the model so I could press on to finish him :smile.: Pleased to get him done and complete my vows in good time :biggrin.:

Your stuff keeps getting better and better WF - the transition between the orange and black looks great there , definitely a unique beastie!

Nice work - I like the more muted tones, but with the one flash of orange as contrast.

Here are my genestealers (and no, definitely not tempted to go for all 8 - four is more than enough in one go).

sml_gallery_3372_14983_187519.jpg
That's my last entry, as i have no confidence that I'll be able to finish any more units in the remainder of the month, and the next thing I want to paint up is a few utility markers for things like raising banners and tagging units that I want to remember are affected by something, and that doesn't carry any kind of power level. But thanks for putting this on, Xenith - it's been fun dropping in to the Tyranid pages every now and then :smile.:

Gribbly, love the old school scheme on the stealers.

I'm starting things a bit late this month, but I'll aim to get these 5 genestealers and 5 neophytes done in what time is left.

Z6wBMUT.jpg

With the rumors of genestealer cults getting a codex in December, it seems like a nice idea to start fleshing out my cult army a little more. Haven't painted any of them in quite a while.

Plus with all the work I've done over the past few months my tyranid backlog has grown considerably smaller. So I'm feeling like moving on to something a little different.

Looking good - great idea to try and get stuff finished off before the codex drops.

Folks, I think I've run out of time to enter something for ABL myself - I have to travel with work the last 2 weeks of the month, and won't be back until the challenge is over - and I maybe foolishly spent this month painting Thousand Sons and Blood Angels :sweat: Possible no vow for me this month!!

----------------------------

Updated to here