A Bug's Life: Tyranids Painting Challenge Results & Rewards

Xenith

Progress! Bare metal to undercoat.

I've since got these beauties prepped and undercoated, their legs were a bit wonky and all kinds of flash and mould lines were on them, and they'll go on 40mm rounds the same as my other one came with in ~2000.

Halfords grey primer, then grey seer over the top.

gallery_58096_13272_144143.jpg

I think I'll maybe add 9 spore mines to my pledge to make 9PL total.

This sounds cool, I may be able to join in if I can get some AI projects completed first. I've just done 9 Genestealers to tabletop standard as my May challenge!

Can I enter them for a second pass to finish some of the details or should I start new models?

I don't have current codexes, can anyone tell me how many power Broodlords and pure strain Genestealers are worth?

This sounds cool, I may be able to join in if I can get some AI projects completed first. I've just done 9 Genestealers to tabletop standard as my May challenge!

Can I enter them for a second pass to finish some of the details or should I start new models?

I don't have current codexes, can anyone tell me how many power Broodlords and pure strain Genestealers are worth?

If they're already pretty much done, they aren't eliible for this, I'm afraid. Dont worry, you can vow and join at any time.

There's a free power level update for all factions on the WarCom website, but a broodlord and stealers are 7 and 4PL per 5 models respectively. 

--------------

Also I'm away next week with minimal time for forum - I'll update the vows on Friday, and I'll be silent until the following week, but keep vowing and painting!

Ok here goes nothing.

I, Trokair, vow to complete some number of test Termagaunts with Fleshborers.

gallery_29932_13875_66955.jpg

I don’t have the current codex, but assume the power level is something pitiful. If I can find a scheme I am happy with and that is not too time consuming then I can vow more models/power levels in the following months, but for now I think that is all I can do in the next two weeks.

I will not be basing them yet, as that will be a decision to make once more of the army is done.

Edited by Trokair

51248580572_c3856172b1_c.jpgZoanthropes

First vow complete!

More pics of my Zoanthropes in my project log!

Looking forward to next month and adding more to my Swarm.

Awesome work, they look great!

Ok here goes nothing.

I, Trokair, vow to complete some number of test Termagaunts with Fleshborers.

gallery_29932_13875_66955.jpg

I don’t have the current codex, but assume the power level is something pitiful. If I can find a scheme I am happy with and that is not too time consuming then I can vow more models/power levels in the following months, but for now I think that is all I can do in the next two weeks.

I will not be basing them yet, as that will be a decision to make once more of the army is done.

Woop, vow added!

----------------------------

Updated to here.

Hey Xenith, my nids look something like this (first vow complete)!
GWAdOl0.jpg?1

Bone color skin with sepia wash, lime green carapaces and dark brown claws/hooves. Nothing fancy, but it looks striking enough on the battlefield. Will start in on the next vow soon.

tn_gallery_49400_16060_10798.jpg
ZORAK: Hero of the Oppressed
Hard to believe:yes: but once upon a time I was on time all the time, except when I wasn't:unsure.:.... and when I wasn't, I was early:biggrin.: I don't know when all that discipline went out the window, but as they say, better late than never. Having said that, I hope I'm not too late, because if I am......:cry:

My goal here for A Bug's Life 2021 Challenge is to create a small Tyranid Patrol Detachment using only biomass accumulated from box sets and the odd model here and there I've acquired by happenstance over the years. To put it simply, no new models will be purchased for this challenge.

I plan to build on this tiny army over the years during future challenges and ultimately create a respectable Tyranid army that I'm calling Hive Fleet Zorak..... named after my favorite Space Ghost villain from ages ago. So without further adue........

I, Brother Lunkhead pledge to build and paint one Broodlord (8 PL / approx. 125 pts) in the month of June of the year 2021.

med_gallery_49400_16060_472472.jpg

Wish me luck:woot: ........:facepalm:

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Good work guys, I've made zero progress on my Biovores, but they'll get done in time.

tn_gallery_49400_16060_10798.jpg
ZORAK: Hero of the Oppressed

I, Brother Lunkhead pledge to build and paint one Broodlord (8 PL / approx. 125 pts) in the month of June of the year 2021.

med_gallery_49400_16060_472472.jpg

Wish me luck:woot: ........:facepalm:

Welcome Lunkhead! You're the 10th entrant so far, pleased to see the uptake - are you going with a greeny scheme like Zorak, or just using him for the name? It'll be great to see the fleet grow. 'Saviours of the oppressed' also sounds exactly like what a Genestealer Cult would think about the oncoming Hive Fleet...a big bug swarm there to help them out. Sounds like you need some GSC allies :wink:

----------------------------------------------------------

Still waiting for official vows and/or starting pics from the following:

Well I needed something like this to get all those guants worked on. Let me see what I have and I'm in.

I've got Deathwatch Overkill, Lost Patrol, and Space Hulk to choose from....I'll sort something out and bust out the camera :thumbsup:

I was about to start a Kit-bashed Brood brothers squad of 20 so thats what ill do at a massive power level of 5! Pics & Pledge when I've built them!

I, ThePenitentOne, human ally to the Cult of the Living Thresher, pledge to paint my Young Patriarch in the month of June, 2021.

Count me in!

I'll have to wait another 24hrs or so before pledging, as I need to get back to my house and see what Tyranids I can find skulking about. :smile.:

This sounds cool, I don't have current codexes, can anyone tell me how many power Broodlords and pure strain Genestealers are worth?

---------------

Updated to here!

Edited by Xenith

I realised that the month is fast ending and I won't have any time Wednesday - so with only today and tomorrow I finished the clean up and got them primed quick :tongue.: Made good progress:

gallery_30308_16534_10427.jpg

Once the full wash has dried I'll get the mud texture paint on the base so I can finish them off tomorrow. I'm not sure if I can commit to anything greater next month so it might need to be another smaller vow but we'll see. It's nice to be back on my nids again :smile.:

Keep the updates and vows coming everyone :tu:

I realised that the month is fast ending and I won't have any time Wednesday - so with only today and tomorrow I finished the clean up and got them primed quick :tongue.: Made good progress:

gallery_30308_16534_10427.jpg

Once the full wash has dried I'll get the mud texture paint on the base so I can finish them off tomorrow. I'm not sure if I can commit to anything greater next month so it might need to be another smaller vow but we'll see. It's nice to be back on my nids again :smile.:

Keep the updates and vows coming everyone :thumbsup:

Nice work, your scheme came out well on the stealers! And don't sweat about small vows - if you do 2 stealers a month for 3 months, that's a painted unit of stealers you didnt have before the event!

Welcome Lunkhead! You're the 10th entrant so far, pleased to see the uptake - are you going with a greeny scheme like Zorak, or just using him for the name? It'll be great to see the fleet grow. 'Saviours of the oppressed' also sounds exactly like what a Genestealer Cult would think about the oncoming Hive Fleet...a big bug swarm there to help them out. Sounds like you need some GSC allies :wink:

Thanks Zen. This is my first foray into the bug world, and I'm pretty jazzed about it. I'm definitely going for the Zorak look in my paint scheme (You can see a few of the paint pots in the background). I've got a small pile of cultists from Deathwatch: Killzone and Tooth and Claw battle boxes, so I definitely see a GSC army in the future to aid in the cause of the Great Devourer. 

Priming before work today, and a quick base coat tonight after work. Fortunately, I've got tomorrow and Wednesday off, so there will be a flurry of activity to get this done:sweat:

When will we be able to make the next round of vows?

You can make a vow at any time,but it must be completed in the month you vow - so if you vow today, you have 3 days to complete, or its failed - otherwise, the next months challenge begins on the first of July - vow from the 1st Jul and complete by the 31st!

med_gallery_49400_16060_899442.jpg

My Broodlord is primed and ready (almost) for the first base coat. I forgot to put some greenstuff around the gap in the face, so I'll have to do that tonight. Should be able to get the first base coat on tonight, before bedtime...... on schedule..... almost:yes: Hey, life would be so boring if everything went as planned:biggrin.:

Vow complete - one hypermorph ready to batter things to death.

hypermorph

He was the last model needed to bring my aberrant brood up to ten, so now they look like this:

aberrants1

Nice work on the neophyte, Grot; and good to see the brood brothers coming along too, Ruskinses.