Warhawk by Chris Wraight

The description, per WHC

The siege enters a frantic new phase as the Traitor vanguard nears the heart of the Palace. The defenders abandon caution, launching desperate gambits to hold them off for as long as possible. Jaghatai Khan, Warhawk of Chogoris, springs into action with a scheme of his own – a counter-offensive aimed at taking back the critical Lion’s Gate space port. He prepares to face down an old enemy, who’s now empowered by foul energies beyond understanding. The Warhawk knows that defeat could mean the end of his Legion and of Terra itself.

Been waiting for this moment since Scars. :P

I recall being told that Mortarion wasn't going to be a daemon until after the Heresy, but I suppose that's just silly in light of this cover art + description.

Hopefully Chris can also salvage Eidolon and a bunch of other characters that have fallen through the cracks while he's at it.

I recall being told that Mortarion wasn't going to be a daemon until after the Heresy, but I suppose that's just silly in light of this cover art + description.

Hopefully Chris can also salvage Eidolon and a bunch of other characters that have fallen through the cracks while he's at it.

Mortarion being a daemon on Terra has been canon for as long as I can think back really.

I recall being told that Mortarion wasn't going to be a daemon until after the Heresy

It was in 8ed DG Codex, but Siege books and especially short story Terminus from recent Primarchs anthology retconned that.

What's your predictions about LE release date? I have some dates:

March 16, 2019 - Preorder of The Solar War Limited Edition

8 week gap

July 7, 2019 - Preorder of The Lost and the Damned Limited Edition

13 week gap

November 16, 2019 - Preorder of The First Wall Limited Edition

15 week gap

January 11, 2020 - Preorder of Sons of the Selenar Limited Edition

9 week gap

March 14, 2020 - Preorder of Saturnine Limited Edition

27 week gap

September 19, 2020 - Preorder of the Fury of Magnus Limited Edition

17 week gap

January 16, 2021 - Preorder of Mortis Limited Edition

Let's say we should wait 17 weeks after Mortis LE release in January... It's May 15 :huh.:

Edited by RedFurioso

Mortarion being a daemon on Terra has been canon for as long as I can think back really.

That's actually a relatively recent development. Original lore has Mortarion being made a Daemon Prince after he claims & reshapes the Plague Planet.

The William King, Siege story certainly implies Mortarion is a daemon at least, and that’s ages ago. Thought the backstory for Typhus back in ‘03 also stated this as is detailed Typhus becoming the host of the Destroyer Hive.

Index Astartes (2002) explicitly says that he became a Daemon Prince after the siege. Typhus' original story says nothing of Mortarion's status on Terra, but does reference his reshaping of the Plague Planet.

That has got to be the most unwieldy primarch weapon art since Ferrus tried to fight Fulgrim with a monkey wrench.

Hopefully the Death Guard get a good showing here. They've been mostly in the background so far, and sometimes used as fodder. I could also do with the Khan vs Fulgrim duel that was hyped up years ago, in light of events in Saturnine. Give me some sort of indirect battle of wits instead.

I was really hopeful that the next book would start to show, and focus on, the traitor army starting to falling apart.

Nothing wrong at all with some Mortarion v Khan fighting over a space port but surely we can’t ignore the traitor army loosing significant sections of its army, the cracks should be very visible by the end of book 6.

I was really hopeful that the next book would start to show, and focus on, the traitor army starting to falling apart.

Nothing wrong at all with some Mortarion v Khan fighting over a space port but surely we can’t ignore the traitor army loosing significant sections of its army, the cracks should be very visible by the end of book 6.

Pretty sure that's all right in ADBs wheelhouse.

Nobody writes self destructive, dysfunctional Marines that still are appealing, like he does.

What a beautiful artwork...

I love the layout, but the bolter flare effects on the Death Guard look somehow out of place. Like a generic "explosion" copy-pasted in a bunch of times, spoils it a bit for me.

Anywho, I'm really hoping this one breaks the curse of the Siege so far, i.e. that it's suffered from a -painful- lack of focus. At least this one has the potential for a solid grounding with White Scars vs. Death Guard, so hopefully it'll feel less like a couple of novellas and a few short stories crammed together.

What do you mean by collaboration? You mean like editor meddling?

Anyhow...dear lord, very excited for this. Not sure whether a Fulgrim vs. Khan showdown (or some sort of encounter) is still possible, in light of how Fulgrim kinda just skedaddled in Saturnine.

I think even if Mortarion were not a Daemon Prince, he'd be a heavily warped Chaos Champion by the Siege? Did he not officially ascend to Princehood in Buried Dagger?

Anyhow...dear lord, very excited for this. Not sure whether a Fulgrim vs. Khan showdown (or some sort of encounter) is still possible, in light of how Fulgrim kinda just skedaddled in Saturnine.

I think even if Mortarion were not a Daemon Prince, he'd be a heavily warped Chaos Champion by the Siege? Did he not officially ascend to Princehood in Buried Dagger?

No, I mean collaboration with the rest of this 'Siege Author Team' that is not exactly producing results. Hopefully the man just wrote his book, his way, and hit the plot points that match the obvious expectations.

Enough of the twists.

Enough of the 'reveals'.

Its Khan vs Mortarion, at the Spaceport.

Get it done well.

No, I mean collaboration with the rest of this 'Siege Author Team' that is not exactly producing results. Hopefully the man just wrote his book, his way, and hit the plot points that match the obvious expectations.

Enough of the twists.

Enough of the 'reveals'.

Its Khan vs Mortarion, at the Spaceport.

Get it done well.

I get the feeling Mortis was used as a sacrificial lamb to move a lot of pieces into position for the endgame so that books like Warhawk can do what they want to do and what they need to do more easily. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if an Oll chapter pops up, just as Saturnine had a John chapter around the half-way mark, but this is basically the V Legion's most defining moment when stuff like the Second Battle of Prospero and Dark Glass didn't exist, and I doubt the spotlight will be drastically shared. Also, unless Wraight does a 'Tales of the Scouring: Jaghatai Khan' book (which I can definitely see happening alongside a French Iron Cage book, ADB Sevatar book [coughNightfallcough] and Haley would be a fool not to write some Guilliman around this time) this will essentially serve as the capstone for his Scars body of work, so I expect him to go out on a bang

This is probably the strongest and most consistent body of work in 30k: you can go from the Khan's initial vacation on Terra where he's bullying the Mechanicum for a faster flagship right up until the Siege of Terra (and, maybe, when his Webway fun begins), exploring or at least getting a flavour of almost every other major event in the Great Crusade/Horus Heresy, through one Legion and one man's writing. Absolutely terrific stuff

I do think there will be other theatres of the war covered. I mean, hasn't the Inner Palace been broken into by this point? But I don't know what to expect. I feel like ADB's book will centre around Sanguinius(Vs. Angron) and possibly Sigismund(Vs. Khârn) but I don't know what the exact timeframe for the second event is. I would be willing to bet money on ADB's book ending with the Emperor's strikeforce being assembled though. Complete and utter speculation of course

Also, Wraight could easily slip a Vorx cameo into this, but I doubt he will or at least in a major way, in the same way I don't expect to see Khayon or Malcharion in ADB's entry because they're big on keeping the galaxy a big place. That being said, it would still be fun to see

Edited by Bobss