Warhawk by Chris Wraight

I do hope it will cover other theaters of war. I'm not that wild about the White Scars, and as competent a writer as Wraight I would really like to see deal with all aspects of the Siege at this point in the story, covering various factions, and not for it to be all about WS vs DG only. And it probably will deal with much more. I guess I will have just have to wait to see my most anticipated Blood Angels moments in book 7.

Which, I am beginning to wonder, very cautiously, we might see at the tail end of the year? Considering that book 6 is already announced now and out in the next 2 months or so. Its earlier than I expected , if they were gonna do 2 Siege books in 2021. If they do 3, the reveal of Warhawk already is less surprising.

Which, I am beginning to wonder, very cautiously, we might see at the tail end of the year? Considering that book 6 is already announced now and out in the next 2 months or so. Its earlier than I expected , if they were gonna do 2 Siege books in 2021. If they do 3, the reveal of Warhawk already is less surprising.

IIRC three Siege books dropped in 2019, at least in their special editions, so I can definitely see book #7 being announced at least before December 31st. That being said, it might make more sense to drop two in 2021 and then drop two in 2022. After all, hasn't Abnett strongly hinted that he's writing Interceptor City right now? Granted, that still leaves him with quite a lot of time to knock book #8 out and Abnett is no slouch when his schedule is clear

I DO wonder what the original release schedule for these was because I'm convinced covid and the Mortis/French/Haley situation disrupted last year

Speaking of the White Scars, what was the point of scene in the Lost and the Damned where Khan took half of his Legion and rushed from the Palace to save Terran population elsewhere? Sanguinius had grim visions about this endeavour - ‘There is grave risk to you. A confrontation unlooked for, and if you survive, a flight from one danger into greater peril.’ And let's not forget the short story The Board is Set: Having lost command of the Perfection, Malcador countered with a picture of a weeping mother. ‘Unspeakable Suffering,’ he announced, shocked by the satisfaction he felt as he pulled away the Warhawk from its position next to the Invincible Bastion.

But in the next book, The First Wall, Khan in the Palace again as if nothing happened at all.

I just don't get it. Perhaps writers planned major event outiside the Palace (Khan vs. Fulgrim duel?), but ruled that out later?

IIRC three Siege books dropped in 2019, at least in their special editions, so I can definitely see book #7 being announced at least before December 31st. That being said, it might make more sense to drop two in 2021 and then drop two in 2022. After all, hasn't Abnett strongly hinted that he's writing Interceptor City right now? Granted, that still leaves him with quite a lot of time to knock book #8 out and Abnett is no slouch when his schedule is clear

I DO wonder what the original release schedule for these was because I'm convinced covid and the Mortis/French/Haley situation disrupted last year

I think they planned to do 2 books in 2020 for sure, with Mortis being delayed just into 2021.

And then to do book 6 and 7 in 2021 with Abnett closing in 2022.

The question for me is, since ADB was clearly still consulting with Abnett on Siege of Terra calls the last few months, would book 7 be done in time to release this year.

It's occurred to me that we may well see a model for the Khan from Forge World to go alongside the limited edition's release, which will be great. End of an era.

Hoping for some Chris Wraight EC in this, but not expecting anything. This book is apparently going to be Nurgle's time to shine, and Fulgrim buggering off/Eidolon having an ambiguous "death" in Saturnine lines up nicely with the old IA-era lore. Fingers crossed though. I'd be thrilled to see him cover the EC one last time, they were incredible in Path of Heaven and Soul Severed.

The more I think on this one, the more I'm unsure about the title of all things. Warhawk just seems too character specific when put next to The Solar War, The Lost and the Damned, The First Wall, Saturnine and Mortis.

All of those are basically the main theatres of war for their books, or the major threat to the Palace faced in those books (supposedly, considering the lack of Mortis PoV in Mortis).

While the Khan is pivotal at this stage of the Siege, it actually flips things around and highlights a savior figure, rather than a distinct stage of the Siege, or threat. So far, it's also the only Primarch/Legion-named novel (although Fury of Magnus obviously named Magnus, but that's a novella sideshow).

I don't know, maybe I'd have liked it better to have the title featuring the Lion's Gate in some capacity, rather than Jaghatai specifically.

....Especially since "Warhawk of Chogoris" is already a thing in Chris' White Scars cycle.

Either way, I'm pretty excited for this one, but the title has bugged me a little for breaking pattern.

It's occurred to me that we may well see a model for the Khan from Forge World to go alongside the limited edition's release, which will be great. End of an era.

Hoping for some Chris Wraight EC in this, but not expecting anything. This book is apparently going to be Nurgle's time to shine, and Fulgrim buggering off/Eidolon having an ambiguous "death" in Saturnine lines up nicely with the old IA-era lore. Fingers crossed though. I'd be thrilled to see him cover the EC one last time, they were incredible in Path of Heaven and Soul Severed.

I hate that that makes too much sense. It's such a gw thing to do to massively delay a model release to line up with something else that shares the theme.

Warhawk is a bit odd as a title when we already have Warhawk of Chogoris...but I can live with it.

I'll just read it as Warhawk [of Terra]. I'm trying to think of an alternative title, but Lion's Gate seems a bit lacklustre...well, not really. I guess it could've been the title, or maybe something like Fury of the Storm.

There is 6-8 month gap between the submission of completed book and release date. If BL wants to announce Aaron's book at the BL Weekender 2021 and release it at the beginning of 2022, he must finish the novel before August.

Solar War was finished in October 2018, released in March, 2019 (5 month gap)

The Lost and the Damned was finished in November 2018, released in July, 2019 (8 month gap)

The First Wall was finished in May 2019, released in November, 2019 (6 month gap)

Mortis was finished in July 2020, released in January, 2021 (6 month gap)

Fraters I would be grateful if you give me your thoughts about my post (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/370154-warhawk-by-chris-wraight/page-2?do=findComment&comment=5695717), because I'm thinking about it since 2019...

I get the feeling Mortis was used as a sacrificial lamb to move a lot of pieces into position for the endgame so that books like Warhawk can do what they want to do and what they need to do more easily.

The afterward doesn’t explicitly go that far, but does talk about Mortis being a transitional book and setting up the Inner Palace phase of the conflict.

We have finally reached the part of the Siege where the 'big 3' are going back-to-back-to-back.

Wraight.  ABD.  Abnett.

I've never been more confident in all my time as a BL reader that the next three books will all be sure-fire hits.  

With that source material, coupled to the talent of the authors?

I can't wait.  

Amazon.com has it as well. Synopsis:

The Inner Walls are breached. Traitor vanguards tear towards the heart of the Palace, sensing victory. Desperate gambits are attempted: an unwilling saint is released into the ruins, as well as an enthusiastic sinner. A black sword rises, forged from spite, ready to create a legend. But amid the slaughter, Jaghatai Khan, Warhawk of Chogoris, prepares to launch the most audacious strike of the conflict. His goal is nothing less than the liberation of the Lion’s Gate space port. Cut off from any help, he stakes everything on one desperate counter-offensive, launched against an old enemy who has been made far greater than he ever was before. As the White Scars ride out against the newly crowned lords of life and death, they know that defeat for them dooms not only the Legion, but Terra itself.

I had Sigis' reforging pegged for ADB's entry but god damn if I'm not excited for this. If Wraight can make a Mongol pensioner sitting on a chair emotional as all hell, imagine what he can do with something like this. Uffffffffff

The other bit seems like Keeler and co. which.......... :ph34r.:

Edited by Bobss