Warhawk by Chris Wraight

I wonder who our POV characters will be for this besides the Khan (still reading Mortis so no spoilers on that one character please). The Scars haven't had much replenishment on that front, except for Naranbatar.

For POV/ Dramatis Persona, I'm going to guess, Garro (since its a DG story).  Shiban Khan (for the WS).  Loken (since Garro),  The other " Dread Biters" (the Space Wolf, Rune Priest and the two Salamanders from Fury of Magnus).  

The William King, Siege story certainly implies Mortarion is a daemon at least, and that’s ages ago. Thought the backstory for Typhus back in ‘03 also stated this as is detailed Typhus becoming the host of the Destroyer Hive.

Index Astartes (2002) explicitly says that he became a Daemon Prince after the siege. Typhus' original story says nothing of Mortarion's status on Terra, but does reference his reshaping of the Plague Planet.

If I remember the William King  story is older than 2002. It was from the game Space Marine a predecessor to Epic so probably around 1990.

Not sure that anyone is implying this here, but there are folks who seem to be of the opinion that the lore / fluff was at some point in the past set in stone and cannot be deviated from or changed?

It can, has and will be changed.

Like it or not the BL HH series and the FW black books are THE lore now and totally supersede anything and everything that came before.

I wonder who our POV characters will be for this besides the Khan (still reading Mortis so no spoilers on that one character please). The Scars haven't had much replenishment on that front, except for Naranbatar.

For POV/ Dramatis Persona, I'm going to guess, Garro (since its a DG story).  Shiban Khan (for the WS).  Loken (since Garro),  The other " Dread Biters" (the Space Wolf, Rune Priest and the two Salamanders from Fury of Magnus).  

All of this would make me happy.

I am pretty mixed on the idea of Garro being in here, unless Wraight takes the opportunity to give him some characterization beyond 'The Milktoast Marine'. It would be pretty cool for him to finally show some Dusk Raider-ness.

Granted, Wraight is fantastic at developing characters in fun an shocking ways (Valdor's weird superiority-but-not-really-except-yes complex) so I have complete faith in him there.

Morty... is well Morty, I have not really ever enjoyed him but his showing the Scar books is as close as I get.

really want to see some Wraight wolves and to see him give Salamander a wack but I have been very critical of the hyper-decentralized nature of alot of the Siege books and I am dubious of that cast-bloat.

Probably most dreading the inevitable Perpetual appearance. But, again, this is Wraight and I have faith in him.

Really, really want some Valdor PoVs though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

mcneil hyping warhawk

Just finished reading Warhawk by @wraightc, the latest book of the Siege of Terra. It's one of the most astonishing novels I've read in years, epic and emotional, and I don't think I've been as affected by a book since I read Horus Rising at the start of this shared adventure.

Starting to wonder if the hardcover is listed for October because that is when the HH reboot is supposed to be released.

Or, if they are even holding the Limited Edition for it?

I think the hardcover is listed for October because the LE was supposed to have come out in July and outside websites haven’t been kept informed of delays. There’s been lots of date changes this year.

Edit: though I’d love to be wrong and see the LE/hardcover released simultaneously in October

Edited by cheywood

mcneil hyping warhawk

Just finished reading Warhawk by @wraightc, the latest book of the Siege of Terra. It's one of the most astonishing novels I've read in years, epic and emotional, and I don't think I've been as affected by a book since I read Horus Rising at the start of this shared adventure.

If you put a gun to my head I think The Path of Heaven is the best Horus Heresy book of the main series, largely due to the emotional resonance of the finale. Perhaps The Master of Mankind pips it in regards to general scope and gravity, but otherwise it's numbah wan on my list. Considering how Warhawk is the capstone of this arc + the default Siege sandbox a writer of Wraight's talent gets to play in, and I expect nothing less really