Favourite Honoured Sergeants

So what are everyone's favourite Honoured Sergeant builds? I think most of us like the good old Mastercrafted upgrade on something, but do people find mileage elsewhere?

Personally, I love my Cataphractii (Relic) Sergeant with Plasma Blaster. Sure he's a tad at risk at times of killing himself but he can put down 2 S8 and damage shots which is fairly delicious.

I've used a Centurion Sergeant with Mastercrafted Hurricane Bolters before which was cool and would be great against Marines now, were it not for their extreme cost themselves too.

Not something I tried, but theoretically, you could give hellfire Rounds to an Intercessor sergeant and then Rapid Fire. You're gonna use the Stratagem anyway, so might as well get some MW out of it. It is cute, but probably not worth the relic slot.

For me it’s the trusty intercessor sergeant with sunwrath pistol. With the rapid fire strat he’s easily putting 4 marines down a turn on his own.

Not something I tried, but theoretically, you could give hellfire Rounds to an Intercessor sergeant and then Rapid Fire. You're gonna use the Stratagem anyway, so might as well get some MW out of it. It is cute, but probably not worth the relic slot.

Unfortunately the way Hellfury Bolts works is the weapon can only make a single attack. Otherwise I'd load that bad boy on a Centurion with Hurricane Bolters and do 12 Mortal Wounds in a turn!

But I agree - cute but not quite worth the Relic.

For me it’s the trusty intercessor sergeant with sunwrath pistol. With the rapid fire strat he’s easily putting 4 marines down a turn on his own.

I do have a soft spot for that gun.

Telion.. no explanation necessary

Indeed, a very honourable mention.

For my Vanguard veteran sergeant it either sun wrath pistol, master crafter relic blade, or digital weapons

My Assault marine sergeant will either get sun wrath pistol or digital weapons.

My tactical squad ether get master crafter combi plasma, or hell fury bolt to run along side the hell fire shell strategem.

Sternguard veteran sergeant usually get master crafted special issue bolter over the tactical because of litany +1 wound and AP.

Mine is a relic terminator sergeant with a chainfist, plasma blaster and grenade rack. He really gets the job done.

Ah which weapon do you favour the Mastercrafted part on? I toyed with it on a Chainfist, since it becomes fiendish against vehicles and consistent against other targets otherwise.

Cpt Idaho - Rapid Fire Stragetem. Fire again at the end of the shooting phase with an Intercessor unit. That's 2 MW total.

I beg your pardon, totally on the wrong wavelength. Of course you meant that, I thought we were talking about per shot.

Silly me.

For my Vanguard veteran sergeant it either sun wrath pistol, master crafter relic blade, or digital weapons

My Assault marine sergeant will either get sun wrath pistol or digital weapons.

My tactical squad ether get master crafter combi plasma, or hell fury bolt to run along side the hell fire shell strategem.

Sternguard veteran sergeant usually get master crafted special issue bolter over the tactical because of litany +1 wound and AP.

It's an interesting take actually, giving it to other Sergeants. I like it on Terminators since they're more survivable.

But rapid fire plasma that has an extra point of damage is always cool.

Primaris Hellbllasters do very well out of it with their Heavy Incinerators.

Since we're on the topic, could someone please clarify:

If I have already spent my free relic, do I need to play 1CP for Honoured Sergeant and 1CP for Chapter Relics, or just 1CP on Honoured Sergeant and that is it?

Just the 1CP for Honoured Sergeant, thankfully.

Narrative speaking, I love the Honoured Sergeant upgrade.

Ah, that makes it much more usable. I was labouring under the assumption that it is 2CP. With only 1CP, it is far more reasonable, especially given that UM generally are pretty good on CP, having one honoured sarge floating around is not bad at all.

Sunwrath Pistol on a BGV sergeant. The unit is reasonably tanky and the sarge will probably die last anyway. If you have 5 points floating around, why not. Hellfire would be great on anyone with a (Heavy) Bolt Pistol. One shot becomes one better shot. Again, BGV material, but also looks decent on melee Reavers and Assault Intercessors. I am not quite sure where I would want Master-Crafted, never thought of that. Anything with multi-profile, like Combi-Weapons. Digital Weapon is kinda garbage.

Unfortunately, the issue seems that the other ones are too valuable for a sergeant. Seal of Oath is HQ-material. Reliquary on Vengeance is minor HQ material. Artificer Armour is Tarentian Cloak-level of material belongs on a Librarian or Apothecary.

Edited by Frater Cornelius

• 2 weeks later...

I the Crusade campaign at my FLGS I've master-crafted the Heavy Bolt rifle for my 10 man Heavy Intercessor squad. So far I have run it in combat squads with the Sgt and both Heavy Bolters in one combat squad.

Q: Would a TH/SS terminator sergeant be worth upgrading? 

I was thinking if you can still mix/match equipment in assault terminator squads, lightening claws on the honoured sergeant with TH/SS on the rest of the squad would be pretty nice

Master crafted thunder hammer is really good.

yeah +1 damage on D3 is not to be sniffed at, but i was thinking master crafted claws would be devastating vs primaris or 2w units

edit: as a further question, a lightning claw gives you +1A, does two give you +1 each?

Edited by greatcrusade08

You'd get 1 attack that isn't Mastercrafted, but otherwise would work. So the Terminator Sergeant example; 3 attacks base, +1 for Shock Assault, +1 for a single Lightning Claw for a total of 5 Mastercrafted Lightning Claw attacks and a single paired Lightning Claw attack.

Agreed. White Scars love Thunder Hammers too but that's a different story.

@ greatcrusade08: I think if you're going for a Mastercrafted weapon on a Assault Terminator Sergeant, damage 4 Thunder Hammers are hard to move away from.

However, they will still be good on the build we've talked to here. I mean, 5 attacks at D2 and reroll wounds is pretty powerful.