New minis inbound

From Warhammer Fest it looks like we're getting Space Marines (incl Thunderhawk), and Eldar...

Short list:

• New starter set: Wrath of Angels
  • Space Marines: Xiphon interceptors, Storm Eagle gunships, Thunderhawk
  • Eldar: Phoenix bomber and Nighthawk(?) interceptors
  • Probably some FW bits

More: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/06/warhammer-fest-online-day-4-warhammer-underworlds-necromunda-and-aeronautica-imperialis/

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

I'm sure many people will get a Thunderhawk with no intention of playing to have on their desk.

I'm not sure what the actual wording of the 40K rules are regarding "appropriate models", but ... get a flying base, make the stem really long, and put the Aeronautica Thunderhawk on it ... "it's just in [forced perspective] scale - it's flying high" :laugh.::biggrin.:

I'm sure many people will get a Thunderhawk with no intention of playing to have on their desk.

I'm not sure what the actual wording of the 40K rules are regarding "appropriate models", but ... get a flying base, make the stem really long, and put the Aeronautica Thunderhawk on it ... "it's just in [forced perspective] scale - it's flying high" :laugh.::biggrin.:

If you bring that I'll have to hunt down some old BFG models on REALLY tall stands ;)

I'm not sure what the actual wording of the 40K rules are regarding "appropriate models", but ... get a flying base, make the stem really long, and put the Aeronautica Thunderhawk on it ... "it's just in [forced perspective] scale - it's flying high" :laugh.::biggrin.:

If you bring that I'll have to hunt down some old BFG models on REALLY tall stands ;)

Suspend a Strike Cruiser from ceiling for your Orbital Bombardments!

Rik

Suspend a Strike Cruiser from ceiling for your Orbital Bombardments!

Rik

'Bombardment Cannon - Once per game the player whose Strike Cruiser is currently hanging from the ceiling may place a pot lid on table. Any models, terrain, and small children covered, whole or partially, by the lid are removed as casualties. Place an appropriately sized crater in their place.

The room the game is being played in now counts as Dangerous Terrain.'

I'm in a somewhat unenviable position that my three favorite 40k factions (Kroot, Sisters of Battle, Lost and the Danmed) are not really represented in IA. Was kind of hoping for Chaos release. This set looks great, I'm just not really into either faction. I might just go back and grab the taros set, and paint the Imperial stuff as Chaos

• 4 months later...

The Xiphon and Storm Eagle sprues are well nice :yes:

I wonder if Eldar and SM will get any resin stuff like the first 3 factions, fingers crossed!

the storm eagle sprues do look designed in a way specifically to accomodate a fire raptor upgrade, and I'm curious whether it'd be resin or plastic given previous sets that have had different variants in plastic have had all the common parts on a single sprue, with the unique stuff separate

These minis make me want Epic to happen. I'm not particularly fussed about them for AI to be completely honest - there are better games out there in my opinion - but epic would be awesome. It's a bit hard to justify getting these just as strafing run markers for AT, right now.

Well, ninja'd that Wrath of Angels is up for pre-order. :blush.: For completeness, it's:

• Wrath of Angels box
  • Asuryani Nightwings (6) [4 weapon options]
  • Asuryani Phoenix Bombers (3) [3 weapon options/2 missile options]
  • Astartes Xiphons (6)
  • Astartes Storm Eagles (2)
  • Astartes/Asuryani cards & dice
  • Outer Reaches area of engagement
  • Ork/Imperial ground assets

So ... quite a lot! (linky)

Also the original plastic imp/Ork ground asset set is back, that is a very welcome suprise!

Quite a surprise indeed! Definitely worth picking up if you haven't got any/want another :smile.:

Can anyone remember how soon after the other starter sets the accompanying book came out? I was a bit surprised to see no campaign book announced at the same time.

That’s interesting. I think they were simultaneous. Actually I haven’t heard anything so far about a campaign book. I wonder if there won’t be one and all the rules will be in the main book.

In retrospect it’s particularly odd. I’m sure the book came with the area of engagement and the pilot cards. I never liked how the starter didn’t come with the full rules, forcing you to buy a book that’s almost a complete duplicate.

This starter actually has slightly more value of models than the previous two. It has two full boxes - the storm eagles and Phoenix bombers, as well as the half boxes of xyphons and night wings. Previous starters have had one full box (marauders and tiger sharks) and three half boxes.

I wonder if this time starter set will be a bit more expensive but contain the full rules, all the rules for the planes, and slightly more planes. That would mean the book wasn’t needed. Just an idea, obviously.

Actually I don’t think the book can be the full rules. They say it’s a 38 page rulebook. The proper books are a lot bigger than that.

This might mean that the pilot cards will be released before the book they’re based on. Presumably they’ll contain more planes than we’ve so far seen.

Or I suppose this could be it for now. Maybe it’s just these four planes and the thunderhawk. Maybe a fire raptor resin conversion kit that comes with its own cards at some point. I wonder.

Actually I don’t think the book can be the full rules. They say it’s a 38 page rulebook. The proper books are a lot bigger than that.

This might mean that the pilot cards will be released before the book they’re based on. Presumably they’ll contain more planes than we’ve so far seen.

Or I suppose this could be it for now. Maybe it’s just these four planes and the thunderhawk. Maybe a fire raptor resin conversion kit that comes with its own cards at some point. I wonder.

It would be strange if the Eldar didn't get an aircraft with a transport capacity given they've been a part of every other squadron list so far - my assumption would be a vampire raider, which I'd imagine would be a similar size sprue-wise to the thunderhawk kit so would make a nice counterpart