Grey Knights Boxed Set Incoming

So looking at the Piety and Pain box dimensions on Amazon, that one was slightly larger, coming in at 17.5 x 11.5 x 2.5 inches. Maybe they can try to put everything we've discussed plus a Rhino into a box around that size but the NDK has three sprues, you’d have two sprues for the five-man Strike Squad, plus the one for Crowe. That’s already half the box right there without including the Thousand Sons side and supplemental campaign booklets. Given that the Rhino has four sprues, it’s hard to see them including at least 10 GK sprues plus the Thousand Sons ones in a battlebox unless they put it in the large box they've used for Space Hulk, Shadow War: Armageddon, Indomitus, or the Necromunda starter sets with terrain. I don't see them doing that for a battlebox that's not a starter set, so it's likely we'll see something along the dimensions of the Piety and Pain one.

So it's likely either a Rhino or a NDK for a battlebox, but not both. Of course, I'd be lining up to buy a set with both irrespective of box size, so you'll find no complaints from me there I they do. My wallet on the other hand...

Edited by Cris R

They put an immolator in the piety and pain box though

Correct but they did not get a NDK, petinent engine, paragon or other walker that was available at the time. 

Prophecy of the Wolf box did not have any vehicles but had Ragnar and Gazghkull Thraka in it. 

so highly doubtful we will see a Rhino for GK in the starter. Box Set Possibly/

I hope that we will see new primaris-size Grey Knights at last. Current models were great for 2011, but it is 2021 now...

How would you feel about Crowe being the new CSM-size instead from 2019 I think?

The fact that GW gave us the <SANCTIC ASTARTES> keyword, parallel to <ARCANA ASTARTES> and <BUBONIC ASTARTES> for TS and DG respectively, could reflect on how they view/plan on updating GK rule-wise for sure - but also updating GK model-wise (eg Crowe). 

This way Crowe would look better but doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in you current collection of GK either. If the new Crowe stood eye-to-eye to say plastic Voldus he would fit seamlessly in a GK army imo.

Edited by Waking Dreamer

I hope that we will see new primaris-size Grey Knights at last. Current models were great for 2011, but it is 2021 now...

How would you feel about Crowe being the new CSM-size instead from 2019 I think?

The fact that GW gave us the <SANCTIC ASTARTES> keyword, parallel to <ARCANA ASTARTES> and <BUBONIC ASTARTES> for TS and DG respectively, could reflect on how they view/plan on updating GK rule-wise for sure - but also updating GK model-wise (eg Crowe). 

This way Crowe would look better but doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in you current collection of GK either. If the new Crowe stood eye-to-eye to say plastic Voldus he would fit seamlessly in a GK army imo.

Honestly, I think that new CSM are still small. I like how primaris-size SM/Custodes look in comparison with regular human models. My WIP

8HAyKlgplF4.jpg?size=1280x960&quality=96

IMHO Voldus is better-sized, but I want to see GK termies equal Allarus terminators in size. I sold my GK army in 2016 hoping that one day we will receive new models that are taller and bulkier.

• 2 months later...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/26/the-hexfire-battlebox-pits-grey-knights-might-against-thousand-sons-sorcery/

Skywrath is the Winner

I can see plastic Crowe, 1 NDK, and 20 strike/purifier marines for the GK side. 

So can I, although not 20 strike/purifier marines. If they are keeping with the formula of combat patrols being 1000pts each, then (with our points changes) it would be closer to 10.

I can see plastic Crowe, 1 NDK, and 20 strike/purifier marines for the GK side. 

my assessment.

battle boxes tend to have a new character model and potentially 1 new unit kit. along with old ones.

guesstimate based on nothing below

Tsons

tzangoors x 20

rubrics x10

Amon x1

**?

Grey knights

NDK

x5 termies

x1 crow or stern in plastic

x3-5 new ( primaris in a new mark x armor that isnt any of the known ones, but will be locked to gk)

x5 purifiers

My honest guess is going off piety and pain

GKs:
Crowe (new model)
5 strike marines
NDK

Tzeentch:
Sorcerer (new model)
10 tzangors
vehicle/ daemon
something else

Further reasoning:
1-new sorcerer and Crowe are the Lelith and Palatine of the box.
2- strike squad is the equivalent model count wise for retributors & tzangors replace wyches
3- NDK replaced the immolator
4- what replaces venom and scourges any ones guess

All in all, a fairly disappointing release in my opinion. That might be because I already have loads of Strike Marine equivalents... and I was really hoping for new Purifier models! That being said I feel it's a really good purchase for new Grey Knight players, especially if they have a mate looking to get into Thousand Sons. I definitely wouldn't get it "just" for the Crowe model though, I'll probably wait until he gets released on his own.  

What do you lot think? Getting it, not getting it? Really want to stock up on power armored Knights or just want to buy it out of hype?

All in all, a fairly disappointing release in my opinion. That might be because I already have loads of Strike Marine equivalents... and I was really hoping for new Purifier models! That being said I feel it's a really good purchase for new Grey Knight players, especially if they have a mate looking to get into Thousand Sons. I definitely wouldn't get it "just" for the Crowe model though, I'll probably wait until he gets released on his own.  

What do you lot think? Getting it, not getting it? Really want to stock up on power armored Knights or just want to buy it out of hype?

Probably not in all honesty. Like yourself, I am also fairly dissapointed by this.. now to see whether my prediction of a GK army of renown featuring all these elements will come true! New model Crowe is nice, and I can see an argument to buy 10 more GK units. However I don't have a use for the NDK. That being said, this is the battleforce box, and we are yet to see the combat patrol box, there might be a useful buy there. However judging how the other boxes are all hit and miss with other factions, the box is probably going to feature items that don't sell well for GK. I'd even have a hard time seeing giving us a useful character - I'd either be a generic terminator captain or a generic terminator librarian. As for the models, probably 10 strikes/purifiers/purgations with a 5m paladin/terminator squad. If not, then a rhino, assuming we won't get any new models..

=][= Warning: Heresy Ahead! =][=

I've always been temped to start TS, however I'm not sure whether those units are a meta pick, and whether I'd like the faction. Assuming I do, I could probably see myself buying the box. If not, then aside from the Crowe model, I'd have little to no use for the other options.

So either I'm a beardy bastard or just and old fart set in my ways......but after digesting the Hexfire battlebox for the last 24 hours, I really hate that box. Hexfire nope....:censored: Hexfailure. So Grey Knights are know for usage of Terminator armor being the only Army with Terminators Troops (and Psykers). Thousand Sons are know for their Rubric Marines (and Psykers). So it should be Crowe, 5 terminators, and NDK vs Infernal Master, 9 rubrics, Sorcerer, 10 Tzanghors and tzanghors shaman. But GW Heard Crowe 10 power Armored Grey Knigts, NDK s IM 5 Sacarb OCcult terminators and the tzanghor herd.....golly gee. My name is William and welcome to my Ted Talk.......

For New Players it as excellent starter. For me I have plenty of PAGK and maxed out on NDK/ GMNDK

Edited by war009

Probably not in all honesty. Like yourself, I am also fairly dissapointed by this.. now to see whether my prediction of a GK army of renown featuring all these elements will come true! New model Crowe is nice, and I can see an argument to buy 10 more GK units. However I don't have a use for the NDK. That being said, this is the battleforce box, and we are yet to see the combat patrol box, there might be a useful buy there. However judging how the other boxes are all hit and miss with other factions, the box is probably going to feature items that don't sell well for GK. I'd even have a hard time seeing giving us a useful character - I'd either be a generic terminator captain or a generic terminator librarian. As for the models, probably 10 strikes/purifiers/purgations with a 5m paladin/terminator squad. If not, then a rhino, assuming we won't get any new models..

=][= Warning: Heresy Ahead! =][=

I've always been temped to start TS, however I'm not sure whether those units are a meta pick, and whether I'd like the faction. Assuming I do, I could probably see myself buying the box. If not, then aside from the Crowe model, I'd have little to no use for the other options.

Yeah we'll have to see for the Combat Patrol... I do feel like Grey Knights are a really odd army to throw together a box for. A lot of it is repetition a a couple of sets and they don't really have any ''main line'' vehicle options other than the Dreadknight... and even then he's only ever really used as the HQ choice.

Thousand Sons are really cool IMO (MAGNUS DID NOTHING WRONG), ever since reading the Horus Heresy novel as a teenager I've found them really cool. I'm not sure they have any "meta" choices though, they seem such a restricted faction... Kind of like Grey Knights. From what I know, large units of Tzaangors backed up by the Shaman seem to do well, especially since the Rubrics are pretty expensive as far as Troops go. Scarab Occults suffer from the same drawbacks our Termis do, that is to say 2 Wounds and limited ranged weapon options... though the Cyclone isn't bad. Where they really fall down is the S4 power swords... They tend to bounce off a lot of stuff from what I've seen in Battle Reports. The Infernal Master is new so can't say. Not a bad start to an army though, and combined with a Start Collecting set could make for a really nice Battalion for smaller games: Ahriman, Infernal dude, 20 Tzaangors, 2x5 Rubrics, Shaman and 5 Occults. This is, however, a Grey Knights forum... PURGE THE HERETIC.

To be honest I'm still really looking forward to the Codex and hoping the be able to make the most of what I already own in a cool way. 

^ Battle boxsets unless consisting of all new models, is designed to shift surplus stock off GW warehouse shelves by combining them with one brand new HQ model per side.

It's telling that the NDK and PAGK kits have slowed down when it comes to sales, since the meta has been unforgiving for vehicles and 1-wound SM infantry. Since they are being released along with the 9E Codex, hopefully GW had the sense of updating associated rules for said models, with incentivising improvements.

It's telling that the NDK and PAGK kits have slowed down when it comes to sales, since the meta has been unforgiving for vehicles and 1-wound SM infantry. Since they are being released along with the 9E Codex, hopefully GW had the sense of updating associated rules for said models, with incentivising improvements.

I hope that's the case. Nevertheless, I'm still disappointed not to see an upgrade to the bulk of the GK's. I do need more strike squads in my tiny army and those Thousand Sons models would make a nice addition to my CSM army (:blush.: heresy I know, but I've got one of those too). However, I'll only pick it up if the price is right.

So, I think this means we are a few years away from a major upgrade to the Boys in Grey. Whether they will be Primaris or upgraded first born, I'm sure we will see something down the road.

Because GW state in their advertising blurd that the Strike squad can be made as a Strike, Interceptor or Purgation squad are we going to see some Brotherhood shenanigans whereby different Brotherhood have different troop choices.

Because GW state in their advertising blurd that the Strike squad can be made as a Strike, Interceptor or Purgation squad are we going to see some Brotherhood shenanigans whereby different Brotherhood have different troop choices.

This could be a possibility... but I doubt it. The core of any Brotherhood remains its Strikes and Terminators, they just use different support elements in different ways. Although I'd love to see Interceptors as Troops for the 6th, I doubt Land Raiders could be Troops for the 1st (wouldn't that be awesome!). Maybe an ObSec rule for a certain Battlefield Role though? 

This could be a possibility... but I doubt it. The core of any Brotherhood remains its Strikes and Terminators, they just use different support elements in different ways. Although I'd love to see Interceptors as Troops for the 6th, I doubt Land Raiders could be Troops for the 1st (wouldn't that be awesome!). Maybe an ObSec rule for a certain Battlefield Role though? 

Just had a bit of an interesting idea.. imagine an army of renown, right. So certain units get a certain special ability. Let's assume Crowe and a purifier unit fulfils that role. Wouldn't it be fluffy, if for instance:

1. Purifiers gain the Objective Secured ability. In addition, gain the Sanctified Ground ability: Any unit within 3" of a Purifier unit loses the Objective Secured ability. Whenever a enemy unit is within 3" of a purifier unit with this ability in the fight phase, roll a D6, on a roll of a 5+ that unit takes D3 mortal wounds.

Edited by Skywrath