Fire made flesh

Bought this early on Amazon and I’m currently making my merry way though it. Very different from pretty much all necromunda fiction to date. Only at chapter 8 so it could all go wrong but so far it’s superb. Denny has obviously absorbed all the fluff that’s been coming out from the world building of necromunda it’s making necromunda fiction new. Anyone who has enjoyed the crime books or the necromunda game books, I think will love this. It’s brilliant so far.

The story is about the discovery of a lost part of the city but the exciting aspect of it for me so far has been that it looks at the many layers of necromundan society, how they interact and view each other. My favourite scene so far has to be the corpse starch Lord dining out at the hives finest establishment. If you read necromunda before and wondered what is going on upstairs or how on earth the whole thing keeps going I think you will really enjoy this.

• 2 weeks later...

Great book but not quite what I’d hoped for. The introduction of the guilders brought much more to the world of necromunda fiction. The guilders interactions with the gangs was really well done. Nice to see the enforcers playing a role to, for all the good they do! The Delaque gang are brilliantly written, I really want more stories about these lot. Real nasty pieces of work.

The book does the usual 3/4 of is all background and buildup and the last 1/4 is the usual mayhem and madness. The first 3/4 I found far more enjoyable, but that maybe just me.

What I was after was a journey uphive. To see more of necromunda than just it’s foul underbelly. We do get some of this with the introduction of the guilders but when we go up, we all go back down again. A great fun book l, definitely not taking away from it at all I would highly recommend it. Perhaps necromunda fiction isn’t developed enough to go any higher up than this. Certainly the author has spent some time in the game books, enjoyed it, as have I, and he has and put elements of them into this book. And that’s brilliant.

I’m not much of a fan of Caleb, there’s a novella on him I have, but haven’t read it yet. He really just Kal Jericho.

I had high expectations for this one. Denny's previous Necromunda's short stories were amazing. I'm done with the first Act (4 total) and so far it's a strong contender for the best Necromunda book. Denny really nailed it with the worldbuilding, depiction of Guilders and Houses, and general feel of the setting.

This is the kind of a book that makes me want to get background books and learn more about the Houses involved in the story. Hope it's not going to follow the usual BL structure and the second half of the book is going to be constant boring wanna-be wild west action.

• 1 month later...

Fire Made Flesh – Denny Flowers

You know, as frustrating as GW can be sometimes, they’ve been pumping out some great stuff lately from their new talent. Case in point, Fire Made Flesh, the best Necromunda novel thus far. I really wish this one’d got more of a push, but it’s well worth your cash and support if it means we get more from Flowers.

I feel like a broken record at this point when I say a book is great because of its characters and intrigue, but there it is. I’m not much of an adventure story fan, and I think that’s why (with the exception of Road to Redemption,) Necromunda’s fallen a bit flat for me in the past. But Hired Gun sparked some new interest, and boy did it pay off here – the “many factions vying for a singular goal” kind of story is much more to my taste.

I love the whole cast – The Corpse-starch mogul, the fighting pit veteran, the rogue and his ratskin, the mysterious delaque, the grizzled enforce, the ambitious guilder, ah, they’re all a joy to read about and not one is as tropey as those descriptions sound. All their perspectives are diverse and I never felt annoyed I was getting more of one POV and less of another. And Pureburn, damn, loved that guy. Black Library often disappoints me for its lack of standout villains, but this guy’s a fabulous piece of work. Favourite character by far, and that’s in a book full of high-tier Black library characters.

The plot is full of twists and turns, excellent world building, and some very creative violence. In fact, while the last quarter does border on pure chaos, I don’t think there was any fluff in the action here – it was all brief and necessary. Flowers’ writing is also excellent, a real pleasure to read – I’ll definitely be checking out Lowlives after this.

This was a complete home run. 9/10, Must Read.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished listening to it.

For me, a good book, with some qualifiers. Better than Soulless Fury and the new Jericho book, but not quite Road to Redemption or Terminal Overkill.

It started incredibly well, great world-building, great characters, interesting plot but my attention drifted as it all got a bit action-y. In a lot of ways, it reminded me of John French, especially his Covenant books- great in theory but the execution doesn’t sit right with me so as a consequence could do with being shorter.

The narrator was a new one to me, and his take may have coloured my judgement of some characters- anyone else find Sol to be an insufferable arse? Also, the first audio I can remember from BL where misspoken words aren’t edited out- I’m pretty sure at one point he says ‘armour-piecing’ rather than ‘armour-piercing’, which I don’t think is what was intended.