Exterminators and Eradicators

Anybody using these variants in the current state of 9th edition? How do we think they can adapt and change with a new codex? If they’re lacking in anything, what could push them to usability? Are demolishers just too better right now to consider anything else?

They're both terrible. The exterminator either needs a points drop and heavy 6, or stay at its current points and be made heavy 8.

Eradicators, that's a hard one to balance. Personally, I think they should be damage 2 and given the ability that cuts Movement and Advance rolls in half. 

I remember making good use of the Eradicator, before it was cool. Though I'm not sure if it was ever that cool... suffice to say I got good results against the supposed grain. So when I say that I've not given it any consideration for some time now I feel that says a lot :(

Both need something to help make them better, as it stands they don't offer anything special and those HS slots can go to much better use. I like jarms48's ideas as something that gives them a boost without being too radical.

I thought the Eradicator might have a place late 8th early 9th but didn't get to give it a whirl

Might be handy against some pesky Dark Eldar?

Exterminator got the real bad touch in the switch to 8th I don't think I've heard of anyone using it since

Weirdly enough I think I have found a very small niche for these variants and I plan on trying it out. As you well may know, in Spearhead detachements Russ' have Obsec. Could be worth charging a Russ from such a detachment into a unit that has good shooting, no obsec and weak melee. You will take the point (since obsec) and they will either retreat (meaning they will not be able to shoot), or stay on the point to try and tie you up, but in return, you can just fire all your weapons at them, because the turret weapons arent blast.

I freely admit that its extremely niche, but never let it be said, there wasnt something they could do better than the other variants.

I thought the Eradicator might have a place late 8th early 9th but didn't get to give it a whirl

Might be handy against some pesky Dark Eldar?

Exterminator got the real bad touch in the switch to 8th I don't think I've heard of anyone using it since

i played the exterminator in 8th against my brother's DE, and well it didn't chew through that light armor as well as I'd have liked.

Demolisher is just way too good right now, especially with easy access to both 30” range and reroll number of shots.

This, it's hard to compare any vehicle to a Demolisher. The only things vehicles that can situationally beat it IMO is a Punisher with Weapons Expert, and a Manticore with Full Payload. Without those things you're probably still better off with the Demolisher. 

I see players suggest 3 sentinels with lascannons, and potentially even hunter-killers, to use the Strike First, Strike Hard stratagem. That's 150 - 165 points and 1 CP. A standard Demolisher is 160 points, you might as well just take one of them instead. 

The only unit that can potentially give you better value than a Demolisher are Scions. For 130 points, you can have 2 units of 5 Scions with 4 plasma or melta guns and 2 plasma pistols. Which can be made better with Officers, stratagems, their own doctrines, and relics. 

there’s more than just raw points efficiency, you often have very limited safe spots to deploy your armor where they won’t be annihilated if you go second. If you can only position three tanks behind your terrain, it’s much stronger to have three demolisher commanders with sponsons than five basic russes that might be more point efficient on paper until two of them die in the open on the top of t1

Demolisher is just way too good right now, especially with easy access to both 30” range and reroll number of shots.

While the Demolisher is undoubtedly the best I wouldn't say it's too good, especially compared with other factions heavy hitters.

It's more that the other turret options are underpowered. Apart from the raw stats there's very little that sets the different profiles apart so the better ones just become straight upgrades.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at Tanith  preview my expectations about Exterminator go more and more pessimistic

1. The exterminator autocannon is its own thing. The Castigator autocannon is more indicative of what to expect.

2. These rules are being released for a unit, that has never made them a preview of the codex. The Genestealer cult codex was nothing like what side releases hinted at.

The eradicator has a blanket "ignores cover" rule which is extra good in 9th. Only better vs a demolisher if shooting through dense cover(ignores the -1 to hit) though. Still not great by any means.

Hopefully they keep the exterminator a dud, I already cut mine up and made an annhilator out of it. Which I don't think I can actually take anymore?

I like the idea of an eradicator that's 2D3 shots(it needs an edge over stronger guns,if it's the infantry killer then it needs more shots) and perhaps a movement /charge debuff in the form of a strat. Although, there are too many leman Russ variants for it to have its own strat realistically. How about "ignores line of sight" like a basilisk? Its turret looks like a heavy mortar at least

And hopefully the exterminator gets the castigator treatment. 4D3 autocannon shots sounds great to me. Or, since the gun has only two barrels and they are larger than normal autocannons, I'd be happy to keep the 4 shot version if it's AP increased to -2 and it's damage went up to three

Edited by Gloomfoe

I think that's a pretty good deal for it. Heavy 4, S7, AP-2, then either 3 or d3 damage. Lore wise its for killing light vehicles if I remember right so one damage doesn't make sense flat 3 puts it past the battle cannon though and that may be a little much. I think its less that the demolisher is too good, as the rest just isn't very good.

Edited by Commisar Necros

I wouldn't be surprised if the battle cannon went to flat 3, and got the castigator treatment of different shells. The relic that gave us a flat 3 battle cannon became an instant auto-include, so I'm spoiled now and if it stays D3 I'm gonna be sad.

The Death Guard Defiler battle cannon was renamed and giving flat 3 as well. So here's hoping.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't be surprised if the battle cannon went to flat 3, and got the castigator treatment of different shells. The relic that gave us a flat 3 battle cannon became an instant auto-include, so I'm spoiled now and if it stays D3 I'm gonna be sad.

Does the new sisters tank have a battle cannon? What damage does that have, if so?

Does the new sisters tank have a battle cannon? What damage does that have, if so?

It's not a standard battlecannon, so not the same as ours.

Theirs is better. Heavy D6, S9, AP-3, 3 Damage. No shoot twice ability though. 

They do get an anti-infantry shell as well.

Edited by jarms48

While I necer liked the exterminator, I allways weeped for the eradicator - it never seemed to have good rules. I would love for it to got to 2d3 shots, str6 ap2 and dmg 1 ignore cover just for it to be good at removing light infantry, but also decent at chipping marines hogging cover. I think we can all agree that it needs to find it's "thing" to be takeable.

Not to derail the thread but how are full plasma tanks faring nowadays?

I haven't taken them in a while. The emergence of army-wide damage reduction for Deathguard and all Dreadnoughts is limiting it's use a bit. Should still be useful against other things, but I think the fact that Demolishers are just so good on the smaller boards of 9th probably makes it take a bit of a back-seat.