What plausible changes do you see being made to CWE 9th book

TrawlingCleaner

Eldar was one of my first armies all the way back in the day, I have started again and tried to grow my list but last few editions just haven't felt the same.

I really would like to see new aspects and an Avatar, and rules in which makes them playable. Can't remember the last time I tried to field scorpions / fire dragons or swooping hawks :(

• 2 weeks later...

I have a lot of hopes.

Make Aeldari masters of the Psychic phase. Give us things like endless spells and such. Expand our powers, give us more than one list (I'm talking just Asuryani, not Ynarri added in).

Aspects need more attacks, Banshees really need more, Scorpions could have less attacks, but an exploding mechanism, Dragons need something to make them more than a one shot unit that dies right after they shoot. Actually, get rid of all those 12" main weapons we have, they in no way help our armies, making us get into charge range just to get one shot off before getting melee'd out of existence.

Hoping they expand Craftworld rules, making them mini factions, not just a single page of 1 each WL trait, faction trait, strat and relic.

I also have been playing Aeldari since 3rd and GW's track record of innovation with Aeldari is dismal. They just revamp old rules again and again.

I'm dismayed how they can create new armies (GSC and Ad Mech) that have such flavor and innovation, and then fall flat on any new ideas for Aeldari.

Toss out old concepts that are counter to the lore of a dying race with vast psychic and technological power. Guardians should not be the bulk, 12" weapons that do not have the power of the other races weapons should not be our main infantry weapon. Elite Aspect warriors that are in all ways inferior to base assault units of other armies.

I will though, keep a positive hope running until we get the next codex.

keep the Aspects with their hyper specilastion... scorpions, every special rule about stealth and being hard to hit in cover with MW mandiblasters
Banshees, fast armed with power weapons hard to hit in...
Hawks fast jump troops armed with LI shredding ranged weapons
Spears, bikes that ride rings around everyone - hit and run, ability to pass over a unit in the movement phase and attack with CC 
Spiders, warp jump anywhere on the board - the more you do it greater the change of random demons appearig!
dragons - bonus to damage vehicles 
Dark reapers - move or fire, shread power armour
D. Avengers - these guys should be our core troop choice

put the shadow specture from FW in to the 'dex, 

Up the psyhic powers to 13 (who cares about 11!)

• 1 month later...

It would be great to see new Shining Spear models. Perhaps they could be a box that can also make an autarch, or even a Ynnari biker unit as well.

How about … the Avatar

- Wounds increased to 9

- Attacks increased to 6

- Damage for the Wailing Doom goes to 1d6 + 4 to match heavy melta-rifles

- The Blade that Wails: the number of casualties caused in close combat count as double for morale tests. For the purposes of combat attrition tests units which have lost models that turn to close combat attacks from the avatar count as being below half-strength

- Bloody-Handed: the avatar ignores the look out sir rule when attacking

- wraithbone body: attacks against this model that are AP-1 count as AP0

It would be great to see new Shining Spear models. Perhaps they could be a box that can also make an autarch, or even a Ynnari biker unit as well.

How about … the Avatar

- Wounds increased to 9

- Attacks increased to 6

- Damage for the Wailing Doom goes to 1d6 + 4 to match heavy melta-rifles

- The Blade that Wails: the number of casualties caused in close combat count as double for morale tests. For the purposes of combat attrition tests units which have lost models that turn to close combat attacks from the avatar count as being below half-strength

- Bloody-Handed: the avatar ignores the look out sir rule when attacking

- wraithbone body: attacks against this model that are AP-1 count as AP0

Perhaps have the Wailing Doom dish out mortal wounds on an unmodified to hit roll of 6?

For Aspects should they gain the incubi stat line or more special abilities? Or a mix of both?

Warp Spiders - lose the AP rules on their gun but turn it into a d6 shot auto-hit template weapon that ignores benefits from cover. Have withdraw and web of deceit as standard.

Swooping Hawks - swap their gun for sniper rifles. Suppressing fire: enemy infantry units that suffer casualties from a swooping hawk shooting attack have -2M and -2 charge in their next turn

The Dark Eldar codex seemed to see a general push on the "glass cannon" theme. Incubi received a significant boost to their lethality for example. I can see CWE going the same way with Aspect Warriors getting dialled up whilst retaining the classic space elf fragility.

I could potentially see Wraith units getting a toughness boost since Heavy Intercessors are now almost as tough as Wraithguard! :ohmy.: I imagine Wraithlords will go to 9 wounds with a non-degrading profile.

I do think Aspects should match Incubi for thematic reasons if nothing else. With a WS/BS swap for shooty aspects.

I don’t know what should be done with wraith units, but I would like to see the wraithseer’s ‘treat AP-1 attacks as AP0’ rolled out to all of them. Also, all ghost weapons need a common special rule, maybe re-roll attacks (to fit with some descriptions of them) or inflict a mortal wound on a wound roll of a 6 (to fit other descriptions which suggests they’re a dire weapon).

Fix webway gates by making them 50 points?

Another thing I'm hoping for is a rework of Warlocks. One Warlock is not really worth it to take a HQ slot. Perhaps give them a rule like SM Lts, all bought in one HQ slot and then separate after, kind of like they were back in the 3rd ed. Or have them be a non slot pick for each Farseer or other units type thing.

Also give them point upgrades to Spirit Seer, Bone Singer, or other something else. 

Plus give them more wounds.

Edited by MadEdric

• 2 weeks later...

Bring back the old seer council !!

2-3 farseers +0-5 warlocks as a single HQ choice ....

Give us back the autopass warlock powers including enhance.

Bring back the old court of the young king!.... As a HQ formation.
1 x avatar & 2-5 exarchs

Remove a number of the aspect weapon options off the autarch (ie no reaper launcher on a bike) but make them a better comander with auras allowing people to move out of turn
Rename the exarchs in the units to Shrine Guardian, and allow the units of aspect warriors to have the basic skill /power without a Shrine Guardian (who gets a 2nd power) .  Add Exarchs to HQ options like a SM Lt but only available is you have 1 or more units of that aspect.. they come with a HQ profile & 3 powers... Then Pheonix lords (& Avatar) are moved to Lords of War - they should be a level of Guilliman!

• 1 month later...

Guardians going to a 4+ certainly seems plausible given that DE Warriors did. Guardian armour certainly looks more sophisticated and encompassing that IG flak jackets.

The question then becomes how to differentiate Avengers. Ignoring BS penalties is one option and buffing their catapults further is another. Would a 3+ save on Avengers make them too good? This would leave just Banshees and Hawks (the lightweight and speedy aspects) with a 4+ save.

I am hoping there will be some way to give Wraithguard/Blades ObjSec. Maybe some sort of Wraith Host rule along the lines of Deathwing.

Am I the only one that wouldn’t mind guardians (and maybe the artillery) options go Legends? I can’t remember when I last used these (maybe 5th edition) and would rather see something new replace them from a conceptual or army role standpoint.

I suppose this is a symptom of a legacy line that supports stuff just because they’ve always been there. I’m not a bright person though.

Artillery models are some of the newer models on the line, less than 10 years old, I doubt they are going to put them in legends. I have a full battery and think they are pretty good for a cheap heavy no LOS weapons option.

Storm guardians I can see possibly going away or going to legends unless they do an overall buff to guardians enough to make them worth it. 

We know there is a new Avatar model. Be willing to bet either warp spiders or striking scorpions get new plastics. 

Not too excited about the avatar, never used it before and typically I dont use big named characters like that. Its why I havent bothered with a void dragon or the silent king in my necrons. Now reworked rules making Wraith Knights viable on the other hand, I am all for that. Love the model but havent used them since the edition they came out,

Ruleswise I think the OP has most of the rules I would anticipate along with the custom traits from PA.

I don't see Guardians going away either but I do think they need a role. Their short range a fragile nature makes them problematic to use. I would rather see Shurican Catapults go to Assault 1 and 24" range. That would make Gurdaians the Troops that hang back and guard Objectives with heavy weapons or tiptoe up the flanks. Then give Avengers short range, rather than longer but better armour and high RoF. They are then the Troops unit for taking midfield Objectives in close-ranged firefights. I don't expect GW to go with this and thoroughly expect Guardians to keep their machine pistols. :sad.:

I do love the Avatar but he is underwhelming in his current incarnation. Give him the model and stats of a greater daemon and we could see some fun builds.

Wraithknights need some help but are not bad as they were at the start of 9th. The revamped rules mean it only costs 1CP to field one now instead of 3CP. Unlike IKs, they can benefits from a variety of auras and psychic buffs to make up for their lack of Invulnerable save. They are not meta strong but at least you can run one without feeling like you are deliberately tying one hand behind your back.

I dunno, I’d rather take a d-cannon on a wraith construct and I see people taking night spinners, not doom weaver artillery in lists. Something analogous to a hornet or vyper is where I’d invest my game design thinking. 

I have to chuckle when I see people advocate guardians to take or hold objectives. I don’t see how making their catapult A1 is going to improve them in that role. Given the blast ability, taking blobs with a weapon platform doesn’t seem realistic. You can put them in a wave serpent, but then you’re basically doubling (at least) the unit cost from the points perspective. If aspects could all of a sudden assault from a transport that moved, then there would be even less reason to take guardians IMO

Again, I’m not a great player, just a very long term one. 

Guardians have been in a difficult place ever since Gav Thorpe decided in 3rd edition that what a dying race really needed was to put their citizen militia in tin foil armour and give them short ranged weapons. There have been a few useful builds over the years such the Tri-flamer build in 4th/5th and the 20-strong webway bomb in 8th.

Guardians will struggle to find a role as long as they remain stuck with 12" guns.

I own two big squads of guardians. Not sure where theyre at tho. Havent fielded them since 4th ed. Mostly play jetbike army. We need a character *hint hint* that makes them troop choice again. Just cant field them with only 12" and 5+. No other means of protection. Cant hold objectives very long cause they die when sneezed on. Putting the warlock back in with them could help but i dunno. Theyre gonna have to find something to even make me think of fielding them like a 5++ bubble.

I agree, Guardians need some love but I am not sure what or what price. Would they be viable with a 4+ save at 8ppm? IG would still outnumber then 2:1 and can shoot them from further away.

Dark Eldar also get Power From Pain which is pretty nifty. Every faction seems to have gotten a mono-faction bonus which evolves over the game so I think it is safe to assume Craftworlds will to. Path of Khaine, Runes of Destiny or something like that. :wink: Maybe the monofaction bonus will be something that really benefits big squads of infantry.

As it stands, I think I would continue to take Avengers and Rangers rather than Guardians, even if they got a 4+ save for free. But with the right buffs and bonuses, they could make a come back.

Guardians have been in a difficult place ever since Gav Thorpe decided in 3rd edition that what a dying race really needed was to put their citizen militia in tin foil armour and give them short ranged weapons. There have been a few useful builds over the years such the Tri-flamer build in 4th/5th and the 20-strong webway bomb in 8th.

Guardians will struggle to find a role as long as they remain stuck with 12" guns.

Guardians had tin foil armour in 1st-2nd ed (5+ mesh compared to at the time 6+ flak on orks and guardsmen) and assault 12" wasn't short ranged in 3rd ed where rapid fire weapons got their range halved if you moved. Totally agree its a bad relic after they changed rapid fire several times.

2nd ed Shurikan Caterpult was 24" 1 sustained fire S4 -2 save. Which was basically a Storm Bolter with an extra point of AP.

Range 18" assault 3 S4 -1 AP (ditch that rending rule) would make sense to me. Otherwise Range 24" rapid fire 2. No Eldar should be holding position shooting except maybe dark reapers.

Guardians had tin foil armour in 1st-2nd ed (5+ mesh compared to at the time 6+ flak on orks and guardsmen) and assault 12" wasn't short ranged in 3rd ed where rapid fire weapons got their range halved if you moved. Totally agree its a bad relic after they changed rapid fire several times.

2nd ed Shurikan Caterpult was 24" 1 sustained fire S4 -2 save. Which was basically a Storm Bolter with an extra point of AP.

Range 18" assault 3 S4 -1 AP (ditch that rending rule) would make sense to me. Otherwise Range 24" rapid fire 2. No Eldar should be holding position shooting except maybe dark reapers.

So they had a point of armour better than guardsmen.... now they have the same - and have done since 3rd Ed :sad.: 

So they have been left in the back of the cupboard when rules have been written ever since their 3rd Ed 'dex.... so we have a circle of rules not improved > units not used > models not sold > rules not improved

So what we want is NEW GUARDIAN MODELs.... that way they'll get massively buffed rules and its the D.Avengers who will be left in the dark :tongue.:

Although another option would be move the D.Avengers in to Elite but give them OpSec rule so they are now competing against the other aspects warriors (and ghost warriors)

You then have the two Guardian choices (storm / normal) as your troop choices.... It can be done - look at the sisters 'dex with their ONE troops choice*, and nearly half their unit options are in the Elite section.

So you could have a rule that if your detachment includes a pheonix lord then 1 unit of their aspect doesnt take a slot.  & If your warlord is a autarch then one aspect unit of your choice becomes slotless..... Could almost do the same thing with warlocks (although I'd like them to be back in the Guardian units as unit champians, and maybe as a single slotless HQ choice)... AND BONESINGERS... prehaps we can get them in the 'dex, 1st one slotless.....

*ok a 2nd troops choice is coming via kill team....

** its possible in a sisters list to have in a single battalion 13 Elite choices!  ok not cheep, but do-able - and Craftworlders where supposed to be the Elite army :p

Edited by Slasher956