Dark Imperium 3: Godblight discussion

Ishagu

I must I was fairly impressed with the extract for Godblight. Nothing mind blowing, but compared to the previous entries, Haley's come a long way. I thought Plague War was less scattershot than Dark Imperium, and I hope with Godblight Haley's finally settled in to focus on the really compelling stuff.

I was surprised to see the Chosen show up as an established thing, but it was eventually stated that it had been "several months" since Parmenio. So time enough for Felix to set about administering his domain.

The Great Work should still be set a little ways into the future, though.

Looking at the extract, it confirms that The Great Work has not yet occurred - it mentions Felix making contact with the survivors of the Scythes of the Emperor - and more interestingly, it mentions that 'Marneus Calgar must return to Vigilus soon'.

Ah - I only listened to the MP3 extract. The ebook is substantially longer (the whole first chapter).

The standard hardback is not available for pre-order via amazon. Gamesworkshop online store in Canada shows Godblight as sold out. Moreover, I phoned my local official GW store [in Canada] and they confirmed that Godblight standard hardcover will be on store shelves on May 29th. However, hardcover available neither on amazon nor on indigo website.

Edited by Bestkeptsecret

The standard hardback is not available for pre-order via amazon. Gamesworkshop online store in Canada shows Godblight as sold out. Moreover, I phoned my local official GW store [in Canada] and they confirmed that Godblight standard hardcover will be on store shelves on May 29th. However, hardcover available neither on amazon nor on indigo website.

I thought this would happen. It's why I pulled the trigger early. The series is popular and the hardbacks looks really nice.

Given that Haley has claimed that the end of the Dawn of Fire series is known to him and that it will eventually dovetail into the Dark Imperium trilogy, I have to wonder if he's worked in any Easter eggs for the remainder of that series. I know he won't outright spoil anything, but there could be some cryptic references to characters we haven't met yet in the DoF series or the fates of those we have. I known Guelphrain has been stated to appear, but I suspect there will be more substantial teases.

(Maybe we'll even get a hint of what actually happened to the Dawn of Fire itself).

Edited by Lord Nord

Afaik only HH, Horror, and some Abnett's novels hardbacks are sold in regular bookstores, Amazon included. That's why I was asking when someone mentioned they are getting it from Amazon.

That hasn’t been the case in the past (in the UK) but things could have changed. I have std HB of Wraight’s VoT, WotT series and Valdor. French’s Horusian Wars. Abnett’s GG and Bequin books. The SoT books. Requiem Infernal and Genestealer Cults by Fehervari. ADB’s BL, SotE and Emperor’s Gift. King’s Macharius trilogy. The Beast Arises series. All were from Amazon.

But might not be the case going forward?

In this case I wanted the DI books in paperback to “match” with the Dawn of Fire series they bookend. The HB look nice but £54 to get all three (when I have old versions already) is pushing it.

Edited by DukeLeto69

I noticed that the hardbacks aren't available on german Amazon, too. I'm pretty sure most, if not all of them, used to be. I could definitely buy Heresy, Siege of Terra, ADBs Black Legion series and basically all of the softbacks on there.

But as DukeLeto said, as much as I liked the first one, buying all three for 66 Euros was pushing it quite a bit. And I'm getting fed up with GW/BLs FOMO practice - get it now or never, at least in this format. As I said, I'll get them as epubs and that's that. 

I am still really looking forward to the books. I'm just wondering if I should read The Great Work now or after the DI trilogy.

Afaik only HH, Horror, and some Abnett's novels hardbacks are sold in regular bookstores, Amazon included. That's why I was asking when someone mentioned they are getting it from Amazon.

That hasn’t been the case in the past (in the UK) but things could have changed. I have std HB of Wraight’s VoT, WotT series and Valdor. French’s Horusian Wars. Abnett’s GG and Bequin books. The SoT books. Requiem Infernal and Genestealer Cults by Fehervari. ADB’s BL, SotE and Emperor’s Gift. King’s Macharius trilogy. The Beast Arises series. All were from Amazon.

In this case I wanted the DI books in paperback to “match” with the Dawn of Fire series they bookend. The HB look nice but £54 to get all three (when I have old versions already) is pushing it.

I thought BL hardbacks disappeared from Amazon the same time that they did from the BL website, but my timing might be off. As I recall it was because they were selling out too quickly to allocate stock to other retailers (and increasing output so everyone can have a book would obviously require too great a blood sacrifice). Edited by cheywood

I thought BL hardbacks disappeared from Amazon the same time that they did from the BL website, but my timing might be off. As I recall it was because they were selling out too quickly to allocate stock to other retailers (and increasing output so everyone can have a book would obviously require too great a blood sacrifice).

Obviously I can only speak for my own experience but in past couple of months I bought Pariah, Penitent and SoT Mortis in hardback from Amazon UK.

I thought BL hardbacks disappeared from Amazon the same time that they did from the BL website, but my timing might be off. As I recall it was because they were selling out too quickly to allocate stock to other retailers (and increasing output so everyone can have a book would obviously require too great a blood sacrifice).
Obviously I can only speak for my own experience but in past couple of months I bought Pariah, Penitent and SoT Mortis in hardback from Amazon UK.

I must have my wires crossed then. Though I could’ve sworn some hardbacks were exclusive to GW.com last year. I’m thinking of The Infinite and the Divine and Manflayer specifically.

I must have my wires crossed then. Though I could’ve sworn some hardbacks were exclusive to GW.com last year. I’m thinking of The Infinite and the Divine and Manflayer specifically.
Possibly but I didn’t buy either of them Edited by DukeLeto69

It's decided in advance if hardbacks ship to retailers. As mentioned, books that release in hardback only (Warhammer Horror, The Primarchs, short novels) are among these, as well as books with presumably larger print runs due to popularity (Abnett books, Siege of Terra.) If there's no advanced listing on somewhere like Amazon or your local bookstore, it won't be available from them at any point and you should grab it from GW on release instead.

I'm several chapters into the ebook, obviously no spoilers ahead as I will save those for the eventual thread dedicated to discussion of the full novel. Just have to say that my early impressions are very good - not only is the central plot delivered with Haley's usual style, but he does indeed do a good job at setting the overall scene for the current state of the galaxy at this point in time. Aside from Vigilus (which anyone who read the extract already knows about, though it's followed up on in further chapters), there is also mention of the Pariah Nexus events. Several of the characters introduced in the Dawn of Fire series do in fact reappear here and another's fate is mentioned. And it's made very clear (although again I am still early in the book, so this may change) where Guilliman is planning to go once Ultramar is secure (and this presumably will be the setting for at least the first book or two of the Dawn of Fire followup series, dovetailing out of Godblight the same way that the final book of Dawn of Fire will eventually dovetail in to the updated Dark Imperium novel).

I'll be able to spend a few more hours with the book today, but probably won't get through it until tomorrow night at the earliest. Like I said though, so far I'm quite happy with it.

Edited by Lord Nord

fyi, I ran the first chapter of Dark Imperium through a difference checker, and there's a surprising amount of cleaning work done even there. Plenty of small changes for readability, or rejigging of lines, but also some removals. Most of these seem to be things that were originally aimed to accomodate new bloods into 8 edition, I suppose.

The magi of Mars insist on their understanding, but their apprehension can only ever be an abstraction, dead numbers modelled by dead-flesh cogitators. No matter how brutally expanded their minds, men cannot comprehend the majesty of the void.

The Heresy was part of a war that had continued for aeons and would continue for aeons still.

These paragraphs, for example, flew right out the window. I actually kinda liked them, but they don't really do much for the scene unfolding.

Fulgrim had followed the arch-traitor Horus and pledged his allegiance to ancient dark gods, becoming the herald of perversity.

was shortened down to

Fulgrim had followed the arch-traitor Horus and pledged his allegiance to dark gods.

Obviously dropping the perversity angle.

I expect that these sorts of edits will have piled up plenty enough to account for any additions or bigger changes, while still accounting for the lower runtime of the audiobook, or the lower overall wordcount the ebook seems to have.

Erm... no thread for this yet. So here is one?

A few chapters in and its fantastic so far imo.

Have to say that I am rapidly realizing that one of the big draws for the DI series for me so far is the juxtaposition between the Chaos and Imperium PoVs. It keeps the pace surprisingly refreshing between contrasting tones and scales, it keeps the read very fresh I think.

Weird amount of comedy though, don't think I can recall the last time I got a gut-laugh out of a BL work.

Edited by StrangerOrders

Godblight is pretty good so far imo, since this is apparently not the discussion thread going by the comments I threw one up. Was too impatient to wait for it lol.

I am curious, if this is going to be the 'changes' thread. If I made the wrong call by going straight into Godblight, the changes have been easy to follow so far but I am nervous about it.

I was under the impression that discussion threads were frowned on unless the participants had actually finished the work, thus why I didn't start one myself. Maybe the policy has changed.

If true I apologize but I often see them coming up as soon as the book emerges. The mods can of course close and delete if I am wrong of course.