Dark Imperium 3: Godblight discussion

Ishagu

Interesting thought I had regarding the book.

The Eldar farseer that Guilliman keeps around confirms that the Chaos Gods are not reliant on humanity's belief to persist. This indicates that the Cabaal in the 30k books, the one that was apparently trying to stop Chaos by destroying humanity, were not correct in their belief. The Alpha Legion were mislead and should have simply helped the loyalists instead of joining the traitors under their pretences.

A key question would be why is this farseer more reliable or 'correct' than that farseer & slaughth though? Both the Ulthwé farseer and the Cabal are non-objective characters speaking their belief - however well- or poorly-formed it may be 'in-universe'. Ultimately, neither is more true than the other. We don't have a way of vouchsafing what they say - we just have to accept these are opinions.

The farseer is disgusted by humanity, and he wouldn't hesitate to point the finger at them for any number of reasons.

Also he's not just any farseer, but an important disciple of Eldrad. I'd say he knows as much on the subject of the Warp as anyone in the 40k universe.

The cabal wanted humanity destroyed, so their reasoning is more likely to be misleading. But you might be right, as both could be unreliable.

Edited by Ishagu

• 4 months later...

Lucerne and Fabian are truly delightful as a pair.

Some further observations: Dawn of Fire's Historitor Mudire, seen starring in The Wolftime, is still around (as we've seen in Dark Imperium), but he's halfway across the galaxy as of Godblight according to Fabian.

Viablo, meanwhile, seems to have died at some point. He last featured in The Gate of Bones - so far. This might be a future plotpoint in Dawn of Fire.

Fabian is also the only Historitor to have seen Imperium Nihilus at this point - he expects Guilliman will want to hear his reports on the experience and take him with him across the Rift. This once again confirms that no, Guilliman has not been to Baal yet. While some fleet elements have dared the voyage, few seem to have returned or survived, with Fabian being one of the few close to Guilliman.

For Dawn of Fire, I expect Fabian's trip to Nihilus to be an upcoming novel later in the series. Considering Vigilus is also brought up, especially regarding Calgar's current absence from it, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of Warzone Vigilus cropping up as well.