Dark Imperium 3: Godblight discussion

Ishagu

Not sure if anyone has seen or mentioned this. Probably my most anticipated BL book along with Pandemonium.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/12/dark-imperium-godblight-sees-guilliman-and-mortarion-clash-at-last-and-we-got-the-author-to-spill-the-beans/

Also, the updated Dark Imperium and Plague War novels are coming out soon, and the way Guy talks about them they sound like pretty substantial updates. He talks about touching up his own writing throughout the novels, so I'll definitely be picking these up and starting the trilogy from scratch as one continuous story.

Edited by Kelborn

I wonder if there'll be new audiobook recordings for these. Would be weird to have Godblight releasing when the first two don't entirely match it anymore. Then, they also recorded Avenging Son twice because of a change in narrator, so I can't see them not revisiting Dark Imperium.

I hope so! I fully intend to buy the physical books for my collection, but I'm a big fan of the work done on the 1st and 2nd Dark Imperium audiobooks and would love for them to also be available.

gallery_57329_13636_506658.jpg

This image was what I saw in my mind's eye as I read Guy Haley cutting a promo for his new book.

Y'know, the funny thing is in the previous 2 books of this series, the things I found most interesting was Guilliman administrating. Him trying to manage the 500 Worlds, the Ultramarines, their Successors, the Imperial Cult itself and...from time to time, Belisarius Cawl...were my favourite parts. But someone told Guy Haley to hype up the Primarch vs. Primarch aspect, and hey, I can totally understand why. I look forward to the UFC Embedded series focused on the 2 Primarchs.

Edited by N1SB

"Extensive, but not profound" is how Haley described the changes. In other words, it sounds like mostly surface-level references to time's passage and smoothing those out. I can already figure how most of those are going to go, so I'll be heading straight into Godblight when it arrives, although I'll buy the updated versions of the earlier books and "reread them for the first time" later on.

One thing I hope Haley has a plan for is introducing Felix in the Dawn of Fire series and really having him hit the ground running with some impressive accomplishments. Because the Felix in the original trilogy had over a hundred years' worth of exploits to impress Guilliman to the point of naming him not only a Captain in the Ultramarines (already an honor for which there was plenty of competition), but one of the four tetrarchs. The latter honor put him in the candidate pool with notables from throughout the Ultramarines and their successor chapters, almost all of whom had service records going back several decades if not centuries. Since we now know that the longest Felix could have served at the time of the *new* Dark Imperium trilogy was twelve years, he REALLY needs to have done some truly amazing work in that time in order to stand out to such an extent.

Edited by Lord Nord

Lord Nord, I think Felix may be a more interesting character if he hasn't accomplished enough to justify his position. Receiving the rank based on his potential and attityde, then having him try to live up to it.

I liked the interview but its definitely designed to hype the book. So it's difficult to draw any conclusions besides primarch fight.

Lord Nord, I think Felix may be a more interesting character if he hasn't accomplished enough to justify his position. Receiving the rank based on his potential and attityde, then having him try to live up to it.

That was already an issue in the original book - even with over a century of service, Felix's record looked scant compared to the other choices. Gilly acknowledged there was SOME politics in play regarding his decision to elevate one Primaris to tetrach status.

But it's one thing to elevate a Primaris with a third or a fifth of the time in saddle as the other tetrarchs. Bringing that down to a thirtieth or a fiftieth just makes it a PURE political appointment with merit barely entering the equation.

Unless, as I suggested, Haley has something in mind to show that he really distinguished himself during that one decade of activity.

Edited by Lord Nord

Worth noting that Guilliman gets on with Felix better than most. Not only is he a gifted Astartes, but he also hails from the age of Reason, and probably has very similar views and outlooks to the Primarch in regards to the state of affairs in 40k.

Of course, what does it say about Guilliman that he's got similar views and outlooks to a heavily brainwashed preteen?

Worth noting that Guilliman gets on with Felix better than most. Not only is he a gifted Astartes, but he also hails from the age of Reason, and probably has very similar views and outlooks to the Primarch in regards to the state of affairs in 40k.

Of course, what does it say about Guilliman that he's got similar views and outlooks to a heavily brainwashed preteen?

Lol you're chosing to look at this with a negative slant. The first batch of primaris are psycho-indoctrinated, yes, but they are also free from the religious, social and cultural dogmas of the 42nd millennium Imperium. There is value in this.

Lol you're chosing to look at this with a negative slant. The first batch of primaris are psycho-indoctrinated, yes, but they are also free from the religious, social and cultural dogmas of the 42nd millennium Imperium. There is value in this.

It’s not so much the psycho-indoctrination, which all Astartes receive, as the fact that all the initial Primaris are literally a bunch of twelve year olds.

It’s not so much the psycho-indoctrination, which all Astartes receive, as the fact that all the initial Primaris are literally a bunch of twelve year olds.

Their brains are fully developed. 12 year olds are not. They do have a lack of life experience, but they should quickly adapt and learn from experiences and leadership from regular marines.

I'm excited for this, despite myself. Dark Imperium has that soap opera quality for me where you get sucked into it regardless of your opinion of it's quality.

The new covers are an awful choice in my opinion, though (for 40k.) They look like action figures, or a cast from some Saturday morning cartoon. Huge step down from the originals, especially Plague War.

Edited by Roomsky

Their brains are fully developed. 12 year olds are not. They do have a lack of life experience, but they should quickly adapt and learn from experiences and leadership from regular marines.

Even if Felix was an actual child it would still make sense to have a similar outlook when both were frozen in stasis for ten thousand years and woke up to a world they didn't recognize. Of course they're going to have a lot of overlapping thought.

In lighter news, the entire DI triliogy is up for pre-order this coming Saturday. Looking forward to the conclusion of this story, which has taken four years of real time and negative one century in 40K time.

Fantastic. Going to be a great collection to get in one swoop.

On the one hand i want to read the first book as i enojoyed the first two, on the other i cant stomach paying for the first 2 a second time, and i have no idea how much the third needs you to understand the retcons done to the first two to enjoy. Its a pickle. 

On the one hand i want to read the first book as i enojoyed the first two, on the other i cant stomach paying for the first 2 a second time, and i have no idea how much the third needs you to understand the retcons done to the first two to enjoy. Its a pickle.

Haley’s said once or twice that you can jump right into the the third book no problem without reading the revised editions. I suppose for absolute clarity you could read the first two again, but I don’t think it’ll be necessary.

Haley’s said once or twice that you can jump right into the the third book no problem without reading the revised editions. I suppose for absolute clarity you could read the first two again, but I don’t think it’ll be necessary.

Yes and as much as i like his work, the chance of him saying 'yeah dont buy this unless...' is as near 0% it can get without saying impossible. Even if he wanted too its the type of stuff they get in trouble for. 

In fact part of his job is the opposite, that is to say getting us to buy the book.  Will probably just wait for a mate to get the revised editions and borrow. Simple wont buy the same book twice.

Site was slow as anything this morning, didn’t get one of the 750. Producing 750 on an original run of 1000. Yea. Thankfully not really a series I’m that invested in. Didn’t really enjoy the first two and with all the messing about it makes it worse.

I was thinking of getting the hardcovers because I think they look nice. But when I saw that it's 66 Euros for all 3 while I can pay basically half of that for the epubs, I chose the latter. Shelf space is slowly becoming an issue with a backlog of books amassing similar to the grey plastic. And we just bought a new bookshelf last summer. :D

I'm really curious about the rewrites. I only read the original Dark Imperium, about 1.5 years ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm a sucker for that kind of Guilliman portrayal, to be honest. So I'm gonna reread it in the new version and am looking forward to the other 2 books. But I like Haley's writing a lot, too. You can see his roots in journalism, the way he writes. lots of short, precise sentences, less flowery, which makes it very readable, even if that's what's holding him back from being on par with Wraight and ADB. But his style has changed a bit over the years, slowly becoming more evocative with some flourishes. I also like his vision of 40k, in a way grand, modern and with a good sense of nuance for the smaller horror aspects of the setting.

So yeah, looking forward to Godblight quite a bit. :)