Tempestus Griffons Stock list

CCE1981

Moving a little bit away from my theory hammer to hopefully get some games in. This is a list made up of what I have. I am working on getting jump pack units so don’t have any of those.

I’ll have explanations of what I have. Counter arguments are welcome!!!! Seriously, I like the challenge to justify my choices.

Space Wolves Successor

-Born Heros

-Whirlwind of Rage

HQ

Primaris Captain - Relic Shield, Mastercrafted Power Sword - Chapter Master - Warlord - Hunter, Resolve of the Bear - The Wulfen Stone - 145 pts, 2 CPs - inexpensive with tons of auras, and very tough.

Primaris Chaplain - Master of Sanctity - Wise Orator - Exhortation of Rage, Canticle of Hate - Benediction of Fury - 110 pts, 2CPs

Primaris Librarian - Chief Librarian - Psychic Mastery - Tempest’s Wrath - Instincts Awoken - Storm Caller - 120 pts, 1 CP - massive utility here, hides units on the way in buffs them when they get there

Troops - sergeants have melee weapons magnetized so options can vary

Assault Intercessors- 5-man - Power Sword - 100 pts

Assault Intercessors- 5-man - Power Sword - 100 pts

Intercessors- 5-man - Chain Sword - Bolt Rifle - 100 pts

Elites

Bladeguard Veteran Squad - 5-man - 175 pts

Company Champion - Chapter Champion - 70 pts

Judicier - Master-Crafted Weapon - 85 pts, 1 CP - characters for saga hunting

Relic Terminator Squad - 5- man - sgt: 2x Lightning Claws, Grenade Harness, Frost Weapon, 2x combi-bolter Lightning Claws, 2x combi-bolter Powerfist- 185 pts, 1 CP - combined Agressors and Cataphractii haven’t been able to use them as is, thought they might be decent to disrupt things.

Wulfen Dreadnought - Blizzard Shield, Great Wolf Claw, 2x Heavy Flamer - 135 pts

Venerable Dreadnought - Blizzard Shield, Fenrisian Great Axe, Heavy Flamer - 165 pts

- I want to have both dreads as the same. Not sure if rushing two Wulfen Dreads forward to pressure my opponent is better than having two Venerable Dreads supporting my line is better. My instincts tell me to stick with the line.

Fast Attack

Inceptor Squad - 3-man - 6x Plasma Exterminators - 165 pts

Inceptor Squad - 3-man - 6x Plasma Exterminators - 165 pts

Heavy Support

Eradicator Squad - 3-man - Heavy Melta Rifles - 150 pts

2000 pts if I go with Venerable Dreadnoughts - 5CPs left - might be overspending CPs here.

I have a Redemptor Dreadnought as well that I could use instead of the Relic Terminators, I’m just a little concerned that it will be primaried.

I’ve been playing this same successor trait combo now for several months and have been using similar units to great effect. here are my 2 cents. Wolves are meant to dog pile the opponents units in melee. So if they are grouped together then The Champion already gives a Reroll charge aura so why the Wulfen stone on the Warlord? I feel you would have better options for putting relics on units. Perhaps Armor of Russ in the Libby. Gives him 2+/4++ and fight last aura. I’m also a fan of murderous Hurricane over tempests wrath. It’s another fights last ability and prevents overwatch. Those two additions would bring your fights last options to 3. The -1 strat cloaked by the storm is better then tempers anyway as it’s an aura. The chaplain is best used for his Reroll hits aura and since you gave him the benediction relic crozius he would do well with the Mantra of strength. Exhortation on 1 unit isn’t as good as many units rerolling hits and having double exploding 6s. Plus you could do that with a strat anyway. the chapter master is already tough I prefer to have mine get more attacks and opt for things like imperium sword and wolfkin. I’m trying to apply my personal experience to what you said about owning these models. You didn’t mention having them but I prefer Wulfen with this successor trait combo over terminators if you have them. They are fast, will hit at +1 and automatically get double exploding 6s in melee because they count as assault doctrine all the time. I like the rest of the list just fine. I think you know that playing will be the best test of your list and you may find quickly that some things in your meta are clutch. People in mine now fall over them self to try and eliminate the Wulfen before they eat their army on a counter charge. Always punching above their weight. I could give more advice if you liked what I have to say. I have around 15 games with my successors and have only 1 loss Against a myriad of armies. Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84

Thanks for the feedback!

I was contemplating back and forth between the Stone and Armor of Russ, since I hadn’t given the Champion the Warlord Trait I didn’t have the re-roll charges hence the Stone.

I’ll take your advice on Murderous Hurricane, my last Power was more of a what else would help. I love the utility of Wolves powers here and they fit so well with my Chapter theme here. I was well aware of cloaked by the Storm, I plan on using it well on the run up to my opponent.

Exhortation of Rage was meant to help the Bladeguard wound higher toughness units. They get more attacks in at higher ap than the Chaplain even with Mantra of Hate. Chaplain uses what is needed: Litany of Hate to re-roll everything aura if only one unit matters the Chapter Master is sufficient, Canticle of Hate powerful only good on the charge and later if Warrior Born aura is up, Exhortation of Rage was more for Bladeguard or Chapter Master to wound tough targets easier.

Chapter Master, extra attacks is nice, I was trying to strike first, then open aura strike first. As well as Hunter for aura advance and charge. Maybe I can ensure the Judicier gets Hunter instead since that is an easy one to get off.

I don’t currently have Wulfen, guess I’ll proxy for now. I’m hung up on creating a “Heroes of the Chapter” type feel on them. Thinking either Custodes Allarus Terminators or SigMarine Protectors or Vanguard-Hunters.

Taking your advice into consideration I have the following:

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [97 PL, 1,999pts, 5CP] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selection**: Born Heroes , Space Wolves Successor, Whirlwind of Rage

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Deeds and Sagas [Reference]

Detachment Command Cost

Gametype: Matched

+ Stratagems +

A Trophy Bestowed [-1CP]

Relics of the Chapter [-2CP]: 2x Number of Extra Relics

Thane of the Retinue [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Primaris Chaplain [6 PL, 110pts, -1CP]: 3. Exhortation of Rage, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Benediction of Fury, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Wise Orator

Primaris Chapter Master [7 PL, 145pts, -1CP]: Chapter Command: Chapter Master, Frost Weapon, Stratagem: Warrior of Legend, Warlord, Warrior Born, Wolfkin

. Heavy bolt pistol, Master-crafted power sword and Relic shield: Master-crafted power sword, Relic Shield

Primaris Librarian [6 PL, 120pts, -1CP]: 2. Murderous Hurricane, 4. Instincts Awoken, 5. Storm Caller, Chapter Command: Chief Librarian, Psychic Mastery, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, The Armour of Russ

+ Troops +

Assault Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 115pts]

. 4x Assault Intercessor: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol

. Assault Intercessor Sgt: Heavy Bolt Pistol, Thunder hammer

Assault Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 115pts]

. 4x Assault Intercessor: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol

. Assault Intercessor Sgt: Heavy Bolt Pistol, Thunder hammer

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle

. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle

. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword

+ Elites +

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [10 PL, 175pts]

. 4x Bladeguard Veteran: 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 4x Master-crafted power sword, 4x Storm Shield

. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Pistol

Judiciar [5 PL, 85pts]

Wulfen [8 PL, 194pts]

. Wulfen Pack Leader: Master-Crafted Weapon, Wulfen Frost claws

. 4x Wulfen w/ thunder hammer & storm shield: 4x Storm Shield, 4x Thunder Hammer

Wulfen Dreadnought [7 PL, 130pts]

. Fenrisian Great Axe and Blizzard Shield

. . Blizzard Shield: Blizzard shield, Heavy flamer

Wulfen Dreadnought [7 PL, 130pts]

. Fenrisian Great Axe and Blizzard Shield

. . Blizzard Shield: Blizzard shield, Heavy flamer

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [7 PL, 165pts]: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

Inceptor Squad [7 PL, 165pts]: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 150pts]: Heavy melta rifle

. 2x Eradicator: 2x Bolt pistol

. Eradicator Sgt

++ Total: [97 PL, 5CP, 1,999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I dropped the Company Champion, and swapped the Venerable Dreadnoughts for Wulfen Dreads to add another Intercessor Squad and upgrade the Assault Intercessor Sergeants weapon to a Thunderhammer. In my opinion more firepower and more damage overall.

Wish I had my Jump Pack Chapter Master, thinking of Thunderhammer Teeth of Terra combo modeled as a Dao pole-arm. Also need to get my Vanguard Vets and Company Veterans conversions up as well.

I personally like this new list better. Also I use the chapter masters rerolls on himself to make him more fighty. Good thing is the Reroll hits litany is a stock litany for chaplains so you can use that whenever necessary. Having 3 ways to make the opponent fight last is powerful and I can’t speak highly enough about it and I’m happy to see you have that. If you can hide the Wulfen and bladeguard behind obscuring terrain as they advance up the field they are a very potent counter charge unit. They’re ability to 6” heroic with the strat is often forgotten by my opponents. The strat that gives +1 to wound rolls I use it on my bladeguard or Assault Intercessors. You spoke about a jumppack chapter master . From my experience they are excellent and I use one in every list. They are fast with saga of hunter and they make your other units faster as well as soon as they make a charge. I have learned to be careful with him as he is only 5 wounds since he is firstborn and few failed inv saves and he dies. I wish they had a jumppack primaris version as I truly feel a single wound would make a difference and I modeled mine that way Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got my first game in, wholly gawd Bladeguard are good!

Especially as space wolves with WS2 on charge adding in strats Bestial rage and savage strike. Try them as space wolf successors with born heroes/ whirlwind of rage with the strats I mentioned. Double exploding 6s at +1 to wound and -4 AP! Ouch. Especially if you have a chaplain nearby giving them full Reroll to hit aura to fish for 6s.