East China Open

Morticon

Greetings, all! 

Shaezus and myself will be heading to Shanghai this coming weekend to take part in the East China Open. It's a relatively small event (28 players), but the biggest one China has had.  It's also chock-a-block filled with some of the down-right nastiest lists I've seen in a tournament Ive been in.

We'll both be repping the BA - and have been in constant comms to try and offer each other advice on builds and ideas. 

I've gone with a very unusual list, which I'm hoping to catch players unawares with. It plays very, very differently from the usual but works incredibly well. 

Here it is:

Phobos Cap -  Master, Master of the Codex, Quake Bolts

Priest - JP, Visage, Soulwarden, Rites of War

2x10 Incursors

1x7 VanVets - 1TH, 6LC,7SS

1x6 BladeGuard

1x5 Terminators - 4TH/SS,1LC

1x5 Scouts - Combi-Melta

2x2 Attack Bikes- 2MM

1x3 Inceptors - Plas

1x VIndy Las Destroyer - HKM

1x Speeder Storm.

I'll let Shaezus post his later! 

Questions and comments welcome!  

Edited by Morticon

Buddy of mine just played in a couple of GTs as black templars and his big takeaway is that versus Drukhari, you really need some IDF. I’m seriously considering 2x Sicaran arcus for that reason. A whirlwind at a minimum

The Arcus was on my to take list for a while too

Wish you both good luck and looking forward to hear from the matches.

Is the one LC termite because of points or is there more to it?

It was a combination of points and models!! In retrospect, and you're the first person to make me think of it, i should have used the MG points and just made another SS term ....><; doh. 

Super curious to see if people have spotted how it works, yet!!

The WLT on you phobos cap is master of the vanguard? Cause you wrote master of the codex which I can't find.

If so then your enemie will have 20 Incursors in his face turn 1 :)

Scouts will probably grab a far off objective and keep their heads down. Bladeguard and terminators securing the midfield while priest keeps them alive and makes them objec.

Master of the Codex is the upgraded Captain WLT - its a straight 4+ = +1CP in your Command Phase if your WL is on the table! I've chosen it because the list is CP hungry for its tricks! 

Interestingly enough, the Incursors will *ALWAYS* combat squad.  This is part of the core tactic of the army.  (And there are a few). 

This list always chooses WWSWF.  It's been built so that the Incursors and the Bladeguard (and technically Terms too, but i wont choose them) are the most expensive units.  Given that the wording of WWSWF is how it is, this means that the enemy must kill both units to count his WWSWF kill.  

Scouts are there to for pure sacrifice and turn 1 Scramblers and 4point RA. WIth 18" move, 3" disembark, 6" normal move from the Scouts, they can get into any DZ turn 1.  This means they drop scramblers and 1/3 of your 10 points is done! 

On top of that they get 4points from Relentless Assault for their trouble.  Sorry to say for the Scouts, it doesn't matter what happens to them after.  The scouts will always be the last deployment.

There's quite a bit more to the list- but curious to see how people unpack it! 

Edited by Morticon

Master of the Codex is the upgraded Captain WLT - its a straight 4+ = +1CP in your Command Phase if your WL is on the table! I've chosen it because the list is CP hungry for its tricks!

Interesting. I used the Warhammer app to search for the trait and couldn't find it neither in the WLT section or the chapter command. But yeah you are absolutely right. It's right there in the codex entire for the chapter master upgrade.

Also - big fan of the visage/rites combo of turning off obsec while giving it out.

Yup.  This is a single character that can take away and flip an objective from a massive squad of Boys or Warriors or Poxies, or whatever.  Really an exceptional late tool game- and amazing if you're going second.  

After the scouts you have 4 units of Phobos units to max out RA using guerrilla tactics - hence the need for the bonus CP. struggling with the vindy still

The vindy was a meta choice on account of how many Volkite dreads there would be at the tournament.  I needed something for DG and their PBCs - this was a great answer.  I just needed one more, sadly. 

Here's an interesting find that the build is designed around.... take a look at the wording in Matched Play for Strategic Reserves and when they must come on (and when they don't need to).  

And then take a look at Guerilla Tactics ...

:teehee:

Also - big fan of the visage/rites combo of turning off obsec while giving it out.

Yup. This is a single character that can take away and flip an objective from a massive squad of Boys or Warriors or Poxies, or whatever. Really an exceptional late tool game- and amazing if you're going second.

After the scouts you have 4 units of Phobos units to max out RA using guerrilla tactics - hence the need for the bonus CP. struggling with the vindy still

The vindy was a meta choice on account of how many Volkite dreads there would be at the tournament. I needed something for DG and their PBCs - this was a great answer. I just needed one more, sadly.

Here's an interesting find that the build is designed around.... take a look at the wording in Matched Play for Strategic Reserves and when they must come on (and when they don't need to).

Haha oh I’m tracking! That’s what I was referring to about it. It’s a better version of upon wings of fire

Yup. This is a single character that can take away and flip an objective from a massive squad of Boys or Warriors or Poxies, or whatever. Really an exceptional late tool game- and amazing if you're going second.

The vindy was a meta choice on account of how many Volkite dreads there would be at the tournament. I needed something for DG and their PBCs - this was a great answer. I just needed one more, sadly.

Haha oh I’m tracking! That’s what I was referring to about it. It’s a better version of upon wings of fire

It's an auto 10 points for WWSWF - which is pretty cool. I don't believe this will survive the next FAQ, unless it goes under the radar all the way through 9th

I think they will. Combat squad a marine unit to 2 is nothing broken. Ork players have 6 grot guns in 1 wwswf selection, and opponent need to kill all six to stop the 5VP. GW don't have any reaction to that.

I think they will. Combat squad a marine unit to 2 is nothing broken. Ork players have 6 grot guns in 1 wwswf selection, and opponent need to kill all six to stop the 5VP. GW don't have any reaction to that.

You can deploy both halves of the combat squad on the table.  Then use GT, then bring it back turn 5 only. 

You're guaranteed those points. It's not a good game mechanic.  (But you can bet your bum I'm gonna use what we have)

You can deploy both halves of the combat squad on the table. Then use GT, then bring it back turn 5 only.

You're guaranteed those points. It's not a good game mechanic. (But you can bet your bum I'm gonna use what we have)

I was thinking more in terms of being able to move them into the opponents deployment zone/obj each turn as same turn board-wide movement. But there’s that too!