Space Wolves Outlaws

yan

So I’ve started a space wolves army, mainly because I liked the models and the fight style.

But actually I’ve never liked the empire or the loyalist side.

So I was thinking if I could create some lore for my army like they split of from the empire and live like a bunch of outlaws, not fighting for the empire anymore but doing there own thing somewhere on a moon of Fenris for example. Like some anarchists not fighting on anyone's side.

But actually I know nothing about the Lore of 40k, accept what I’ve read in the codex’s. So any idea’s and a bit of help is welcome here!

Is this even possible in this universe? What should I take in to account?

And do you maybe have some suggestions on whats easy to read to get a better understanding of the 40k history?

Space wolves have lost entire companies fluffwise so there really isn't any reason you couldn't make one that's just out there doing their own thing.

I think I would avoid models like wolf priests (chaplain & judicar) just because of their roles in the lore (if you wanted to use them for their rules you could just make your own versions of them).

As far as what to read for a better understanding of 40k history. I would suggest the main rulebook, and looking at 40k wikis. That said the setting is a big sandbox so you can pretty much do what want.

Edited by Jorin Helm-splitter

Yea you can do anything you want army wise and justify it however really. That said, I for sure would read the main rulebooks fluff etc before getting too deep into your armies fluff. The idea of renegade Marines operating out of the fenris system for more than 2 seconds got a chuckle from me. :wink:  

I'd say you could have a fleet based company lost far from home that shifted into doing its own thing. The great companies are pretty autonomous anyway, so it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. But completely renegade and unaffiliated in the home system? Eh I doubt that. Might want to read up on them before too much commitment Edited by theprophetofwar

From Lexicanum

The Wolf of Fenris was a Strike Cruiser of the Space Wolves Chapter that was captured by the Red Corsairs at the Battle of Parenxes, sometime after the Badab War.

Realizing that they needed ships to carry out their raids, Huron Blackheart, Master of the Red Corsairs, ordered an attack on a Space Marine patrol group of the Space Wolves and Flame Hawks Chapters near the world of Parenxes. In a surprise attack near the Parenxes star, Huron's forces crippled the Wolf of Fenris and damaged several other vessels (though all save the Wolf were allowed to escape). Using boarding torpedoes, the Red Corsairs first took control of the engine room so that the Space Wolves could not self-destruct, then a second wave was sent into the cargo bays. The third wave, led by Blackheart himself, entered at a point fifty meters from the command deck. Huron stormed the bridge and tore apart the ship's captain, Gnyrll Bluetooth, with the huge weapon that served as his right arm.

As the Red Corsairs' victory became inevitable, several Space Wolves turned on their fellows and threw themselves at the mercy of Blackheart. They renounced their pledges to their Chapter, Primarch and Emperor, and swore allegiance to Huron. As reward for their allegiance, Huron granted them command of the Wolf of Fenris, which is now part of the Red Corsairs' fleet.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

I cant remember the name of em but at least one great company has gone rogue and Grimnar himself was one of the ones to hunt em out. The autonomy or the great companies and their length of service, no doubt more than one has fallen turned to chaos. Maybe look into the 13th company too, they went into the eye chasing horus, and again some must have turned to chaos. The red rage of a blood claw and the curse of the wulfen lend them thematically falling to Khorne, or their headstrong independence may have led to some great company apart from the whole declared traitoris or hereticus by the high lords without the whole being charged.

Definitely leads itself to your idea, and leave a huge variety of how far you want them to have slipped to chaos. If they're mostly renegade using the SW list sans priests would be great, or if they're in the deep end going CSM and using modified blood claws as berserkers, long fanged up havocs, wolf guard terminators using old armors modified from forge world for the combi weapons.

• 3 weeks later...

You even don't have to turn to chaos. There are more sides to the galaxy than just two. You can come up with quite a lot of reasons, why they don't return to fenris and the rest of the chapter doesn't hunt them down …

• They may have sworn an oath to only return, if you achieve something, that can't be achieved anymore
  • They may be trapped in an unpleasent part of the galaxy
  • They may have left voluntarily to atone for a mistake
  • They may be considered dead, and really should be dead but were saved by some foe and now prefere to keep considered dead
  • They may have really messed with some high ranking imperial institution, and Logan had to exile them as the lesser evil
  • They are in debt of sector / institution / person and have to serve for like 200 years to repay that debt
  • Their Wolflord has gone missing and the great company knows he's alive and refuses to choose a new wolflord
  • Their Wolflord wants to kill / hunt / find something or someone very, very, very badly (great moby-dickish options for tensions within the great company here!)
  • They are on the trail of an important secret that may change the balance in the galaxy …

My own great company is trapped within a hive fleet and considered dead by the Fang. (I'm not yet sure how they managed to get there or survive there, but I'll sure come up with something, hehe.)

You even don't have to turn to chaos. There are more sides to the galaxy than just two. You can come up with quite a lot of reasons, why they don't return to fenris and the rest of the chapter doesn't hunt them down …

• They may have sworn an oath to only return, if you achieve something, that can't be achieved anymore
  • They may be trapped in an unpleasent part of the galaxy
  • They may have left voluntarily to atone for a mistake
  • They may be considered dead, and really should be dead but were saved by some foe and now prefere to keep considered dead
  • They may have really messed with some high ranking imperial institution, and Logan had to exile them as the lesser evil
  • They are in debt of sector / institution / person and have to serve for like 200 years to repay that debt
  • Their Wolflord has gone missing and the great company knows he's alive and refuses to choose a new wolflord
  • Their Wolflord wants to kill / hunt / find something or someone very, very, very badly (great moby-dickish options for tensions within the great company here!)
  • They are on the trail of an important secret that may change the balance in the galaxy …

My own great company is trapped within a hive fleet and considered dead by the Fang. (I'm not yet sure how they managed to get there or survive there, but I'll sure come up with something, hehe.)

Cool, thanks a lot y'all. I will start writing some fluff soon. but it's good to know I can say I don' t like the emperor without being laughed at by my heretic friends :D

Cool, thanks a lot y'all. I will start writing some fluff soon. but it's good to know I can say I don' t like the emperor without being laughed at by my heretic friends :biggrin.:

I'd be tempted to keep it more subtle.

Space Wolves are notoriously free/strong willed so rather than having them "not liking the Emperor or the Imperium", how about having them being deployed to a particular Sector/Segmentum of the Imperium and they have fallen out with the:

• Local Planetary Governor
  • Ruling Noble Families for the Sector
  • Trade Cartel
  • Imperial Army/Navy Commander

For their "Policy" decisions and the impact on a local populace that your Wolves respect.

This gives you a niche that fits well with what you seem to be looking for, justifies any "rebellious" behaviours your force may exhibit all while staying within the overall ethos of the Space Wolves being a loyal chapter of "Noble Barbarian Kings" who protect the Imperium and it's citizens in a broader context but not always specific individuals they may disagree with.

Rik

Rik is right, SW are independent as it gets while being loyal to the Emperor. There was a whole segment of history they were at war with a multiple branches of the Imperium, the Months of Shame. The wolves fought the inquisition, grey knights, and I believe a few other chapters protecting refugees from Armageddon, so the conflicts can be huge and lasting. It seems to be even more fractious with the Nihilem and the return of the Primarch so everyone has their own competing factions and interpretations. Maybe a Wolf Lord rejected the primaris and went into exile with his old guard or a company got trapped in a system and set up their own little fiefdom. Maybe they went full Viking and like Filius said, maybe Grimnar had to exile them or is hiding them. There's a lot of room to play with, but the only non-imperial space marines are pretty chaos affiliated. Even the pirates in lore are pretty chaos focused. It needs huge amounts of infrastructure, or chaos magic, to support a marine company or chapter and the Imperium pretty much stamped out anyone capable of that besides them in the crusades. Read around in the lore awhile its massive.