Next Primaris Reveal or Release (speculation)

2017- Dark Imperium. Intercessors, Hellblasters, Aggressors, etc... The basic battle-line stuff.

2018 - ???

2019 - Shadowspear. Incursors, Infiltrators, ... The scout stuff.

2020 - Indomitus. Bladeguard, assault intercessors, outriders... The melee and fast attack stuff.

2021 - Terminatus. Terminators.

We can hope, right? Honestly though, a true Terminator equivalent (i.e, 2+ save and deep strike) and a true Assault Marine equivalent is all the line-up is really missing by this point, even if it's just a Gravis variant and jump pack upgrade for Reivers or something like that. Also probably a lascannon/talon wielding heavy squad. I would also hope they bring back some kind of customisation for characters- They could just release a "Character Upgrades" sprue that has like, a couple of weapon options, a storm shield, a jump pack, and a few trinkets for the "relics". (And of course charge about as much for it as the character themselves.)

You know what, every time I make a post out of this, where I try to rationalise what "the plan" seems to be, where the range might go next... It becomes apparent to me that a whole bunch of it makes no apparent sense. There's no master plan, it's just Jes throwing model designs at the wall.

Do peeps really think we will be getting a new primaris wave this year? I was thinking it would be next.

I think we'll see another wave (or the beginnings of one) this upcoming year, but that's talking in terms of GW's financial year, which runs June-May. It may amount to as little as the usual March battlebox having a contingent of new Primaris models, with the ensuing MPK boxes and "catch me up" codex not showing up until Fall 2022 or so.

It sounds like something Primaris-related has a strong chance of happening before March, but so far only Templars and specifically Rubicon'd Helbrecht have been mentioned. Timing-wise, it makes sense to me that they'd drop a new Emperor's Champion model and then six-twelve months later we'd finally see a generic Primaris Champion model for the other chapters.

So I could see all of the codex-compliant chapters getting their updated supplements before this time next year, but only one or two new models (if even that) will be chapter-agnostic. Anything else would be specific to those chapters and their datasheets will show up there.

(And for the record, if we DO see a full slate of 9th-ed supplements this fall or so, I don't think every chapter will get a model like they did last time. It could be as simple as Templars getting a mini-wave and their book anchoring the first set of supplement releases, the Smurfs getting yet another character and being the spotlight in the second set, and maybe Lysander and/or a biked-up White Scars HQ turning up for the final set, with the shattered legions being SOL this time around outside of just getting updated supplements).

I also have to think there's a decent chance of Silver Templars at least seeing a broader release of their transfer sheet at that point, whether or not they get a supplement or special model.

Meanwhile, if we do see a battlebox with new generic models, it will come with a mini-codex like we've seen in the past.

yeah we'll see BTs this year, with some new stuff specific for them, doubt it'll impact other lines and they'll as a result be the most unique primaris option available for a fair while. Believe the different things I've seen/heard suggest 1-2 actual units and characters on top?

I'd not expect much in the way of generic primaris until at least next summer tbh.

p.s. I do think we'll see splash releases of characters though. Because it's a good wa to get people to spend money still

Edited by Blindhamster

I cant see much before the autumn at least, just generic characters, and a couple of things for Templars. Depends too when rest of the marine codex supplements drop.

To circle back to Vermintide, this is maybe tangenital even for this thread but I can see them doing new actual Terminator sculpts as theyre relic suits of armour/veterans/chapter heirlooms.

Assault Inceptors would make general sense to me or Jump Pack Assault Intercessors will come at some point

Still feels a little weird having 2 codices in one to be honest at this point. I mean, by all accounts Primaris are just a very VERY large expansion codex of units with few unique stratagems for themselves. They don't interact well with first born gear and ironically often need to call upon firstborn units to fill some roles. That isn't to say there isn't pluses for Primaris, their characters are generally decent but really the stand outs are the ones where the firstborn equal was fairly equipment locked anyway; Librarians, Chaplains, Techmarines and Apothecaries all generally do better as Primaris because they had locked load outs for the most part anyway so opting for the "primaris option" on these guys for the +1 to wound and attack stat is fairly simple (however if that was lost similar to firstborn standard marines and Primaris Standard, then the benefit would be gone instantly).

However things like captains often were powerful BECAUSE of their options, being able to kit them out how you wanted was their actual key feature. They weren't anything but a hefty stat-stick swiss-army knife unit that could be made to work against anything. The re-roll aura is good but if that's all you want then again the firstborn version is better because it will be overall cheaper. Thus the Primaris versions of captains often need to ether be stacked in wargear or fail to be worth much. I would say the upcoming release of the completely laughable gravis captain that no-one wanted is just a joke, everyone wants the one from dark Imperium yet GW are like "no...no...". If I wanted a sniper captain, the Phobos captain is better for that. If I wanted a melee captain the Indomintus captain is better for that (and arguably the standard primaris captain too). Most comic is that the reason Primaris captains are decent is because there are so many to pick from, you have OPTIONS.

My big thought is they are currently making plans for how to handle Primaris and Firstborn going forward. I feel the change to firstborn to 2W was a bit of a backpedal on original plans to outright axe them so likely we may be seeing something appear going into 10th. As for the rest of 9th I only feel like we will see incidental additions such as a proper kit for Suppressors and maybe a dark imperium captain release but that last one there is as likely to happen as squats coming back!

Black Templars.

Sete I’m about ready to offer you my social security number in exchange for the scoop on black templars at this point
Hold the line brother.
Only about 5 months to wait going by the video Im watching ;-)

Re generic characters mobility is key. First born outperform them wherever jump pack is an option esp captains and librarians. Only exception is the primaris character that got a motorbike

Edited by Dark Shepherd

I cant see much before the autumn at least, just generic characters, and a couple of things for Templars. Depends too when rest of the marine codex supplements drop.

To circle back to Vermintide, this is maybe tangenital even for this thread but I can see them doing new actual Terminator sculpts as theyre relic suits of armour/veterans/chapter heirlooms.

Assault Inceptors would make general sense to me or Jump Pack Assault Intercessors will come at some point

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised either. Like, the units they're saving to last are the ones they're basically just gonna upscale, and make some wibbly-wobbly lore reason up as to why they suddenly come in XXL sizes now. Too iconic to mess with, but they are certainly not gonna leave that cash cow un-milked.

I mean that's just my intuition anyhow, I feel like the Primaris are still intended to be a re-boot of the Marine range as a whole; but they seem to have backtracked on some of the original design intentions where they were gonna shake everything up and change the unit roles/functions. We can see this in stuff like the Storm Speeders and Outriders, where unlike the previous Primaris waves they are literally just bigger versions of the Firstborn original.

How about a Suppressor box set with more weapon options?

What weapons would work well on Suppressors I wonder? We have Hellblasters and Inceptors for plasma, Eradicators for Melta and Eliminators for Las fusils. The Primaris line is pretty well loaded with high ROF anti-infantry weapons.

Suppressors look like Outriders. A decent unit hamstrung by lack of options and a fixed 3-man squad size. :sad.:

What weapons would work well on Suppressors I wonder? We have Hellblasters and Inceptors for plasma, Eradicators for Melta and Eliminators for Las fusils. The Primaris line is pretty well loaded with high ROF anti-infantry weapons.

Suppressors look like Outriders. A decent unit hamstrung by lack of options and a fixed 3-man squad size. :sad.:

Las talons? Maybe heavy flamers? Going by weapon option combos elsewhere.

Doubt theyd give them Inceptor crossovers

Inceptors: bolters and plasma

Aggressors: bolters and flamers

Eliminators: bolt and las

Eradicators: various meltas

Hellblasters: 3 types of plasma

Reivers: carbines and knives

I really think for suppressors they should get one variant Autocannon to upgrade the squad with.

Then the other option in the kit should be close combat focused so like a pair of lightning claws.

Edit: the close combat unit would have its own data sheet.

Edited by Jorin Helm-splitter

I am pretty sure GW can think of a silly name for a new gun. The Incubator Heat Rifle? Invalidator Las Stubber? I'd love a close combat unit, but as mentioned above, probably will be a separate datasheet, should it ever happens.

I really think for suppressors they should get one variant Autocannon to upgrade the squad with.

Then the other option in the kit should be close combat focused so like a pair of lightning claws.

Edit: the close combat unit would have its own data sheet.

Those boot thrusters on the Suppressors just seem too clunky to work for an actual melee squad. That's why I've been figuring for a while that while Suppressors may indeed end up with a dual-build kit, the other Omnis option will only be a shorter-ranged unit (differentiated from the Inceptors by greater movement while Inceptors will also retain the extra wound by virtue of being Gravis - and of course both squads would have different weapons choices, though I could see the Omnis squad having an "Assault Bolt Rifle" option that's close to the dual Assault Bolters in its statline). However, unlike both the Inceptors and Suppressors, I could see the Sergeant of that squad having at least one melee option.

The REAL jump melee unit is more likely (IMO) to be outfitted in the Shrike-pattern Phobos-based armor. That setup just looks a lot more maneuverable and I've never for a second thought that they ever intended for Shrike to be the sole Phobos-armored jump unit. Nor do I think they'd make a squad kitted out that way exclusive to the Raven Guard.

Las talons? Maybe heavy flamers? Going by weapon option combos elsewhere.

Doubt theyd give them Inceptor crossovers

Inceptors: bolters and plasma

Aggressors: bolters and flamers

Eliminators: bolt and las

Eradicators: various meltas

Hellblasters: 3 types of plasma

Reivers: carbines and knives

There is still grav weapons that are yet to be introduced into the primaris range and there is the possibility that some form of neo-volkite rifle may show up.

As for something similar to inceptors for the suppressors but different, the Horus heresy legion moritats may give some indication to future designs.

Edited by Highlander

Do we read anything into Inceptors having and/or losing the devastating charge special rule?

I believe it’s a stratagem now.
For all jump pack units, and massively souped up

Getting squashed by grav weapons would fit in with the Suppresion part of suppressors

Edited by Dark Shepherd