WHC article on Dogmas

Really interesting article: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/17/teleportation-invisibility-or-orange-paint-find-the-forge-world-thats-right-for-you/

Some of these have changed quite a bit

Something that I noticed was that Mars specifically adds Canticles to Skitarri and Kataphrons aren't Core, WHC have been wrong before but a troops unit not having the Core keyword hurts a bit. Of course this is all in a vacumn at the moment as there's nothing mentioning what canticles are, strats etc

At least some forge worlds other than Mars look interesting, but of course this preview is far from complete.

It looks like I might give Lucius a go again - basic infantry going to Sv3+ against small arms fire is big, that might be a way to dust off those skitarii hordes.

Something that I noticed was that Mars specifically adds Canticles to Skitarii

That might be a throwback to the times when there was a Codex: Skitarii (with Doctrina Imperatives) and Codex: Cult Mechanicus (with Canticles of the Omnissiah).

Edited by MajorNese

This does feel like a very significant shift, though it's hard to understand how this will play out in practice with such a limited amount of information.

I'm just hoping this shake up doesn't lead to a single viable build because the designers failed to understand their own game system which has happened all too frequently in the past.

Doctrina Imperatives are mentioned in the preorder as being part of the card pack. What did they do in 7th? A similar thing to Canticles but for Skitarri?

In Codex: Skitarii, you had 6 Doctrina Imperatives, that you could play as one-use army effect (like Canticles but without rolling, you always choose). That effect was limited to improving BS at the cost of WS for one round, or vice versa.

+1 BS

+2 BS/-1 WS

+3 BS/-2 WS

+1 WS

+2 WS/-1 BS

+3 WS/-2 BS

That makes little sense considering how modificators are capped now, so no idea how it might work out now.

Edited by MajorNese

Feels like a massive reworking and so far I’m concerned. Glad I held off on building my new models. Again, hopefully we get some new options but I’m really wondering what will have CORE. Edited by brother_b

They were bonuses to hit on WS/BS I believe +1/-0, +2/-1, +3/-2 bonus to penalty. Which I personally would love to see come back.

Though I'm gonna be honest Stygies and Metallica look to be the best options this round of forgeworlds. Stygies a better defensive option for backfield, Metallica for offense.

To be honest, Stygies does compete with Lucius for best defensive forge world.

-1 to hit is more effective than +1 save in most cases, but since you need to get out there and survive on an objective until next round to score, staying >12" or >18" is often not an option. The second effect for Stygies only comes into play when charging, so there is not that much synergy.

+1 save for anything that's not multi damage means considerably more resilience in CC (where most units don't have multidamage weaponry), against chaff fire (no one will target skitarii with multidamage), and will make taking wounds off vehicles with buckets of dice even less effective than it already is. If AAAC remained as is, this would mean 2+sv for basic skitarii holding an objective. +3" range is not bad, but not that much change for most weaponry either. Though 21" radium/plasma Vanguard does sound fun.

I guess that Lucius will be my new default, unless Mars' canticles and Cawl turn that around. Might even be fun to drown the board in Skitarii bodies.

Looking at the canticle article from today too...

Canticles only affect cult units

Doctrines only affect skitarii

unless mars, in which case canticles affect your skitarii as well (this could be quite strong depending how canticles/doctrines are given out)

Seems like quite a rework. My stygies army is OK, but the change to clandestine is interesting. No more moving transports full of priests 9" up the board, but can start core infantry 9" away from the enemy. Depending what gets core could get interesting with first turn charges or just holding objectives (if breachers get core for example).

Edited by DanPesci

I feel a huge shake up coming. All the preview copies have already gone out and I look forward to catching some YouTube videos on Saturday. There were really only two forge worlds to play; Stygies for the advance and -1, Mars for shooting, cawl, and  canticle control.

my hopes are I can find a forge world to fit my style. It used to be Stygies. I also hope cawl is allowed to join any forge world.

much more to comment on for everybody once we get an idea what’s going to happen. Admech has had woefully little discussion anywhere what with the late 8th edition release of our new units and the stalled out gaming scene.

Looking at the Necron, DG and DE codexes that have come out recently, I do think that there will be a large shake up as you mention brother_b. The core gameplay of the 3 mentioned is very similar to their 8th counterparts but gave them a huge swathe more rules and changed existing ones heavily.

Being new to Admech and only having experience playing against them, I'm really looking forward to seeing what new stuff changes are brought in. Considering the very bland and worrying articles that were put out around the DE codex release, I wouldn't be surprised if the picture of the new Admech codex I have in my head will be entirely different