Ghazghkull Thraka: Prophet of the Waaagh!

Still waiting for that full review AA! :wink:

The regular hardback and e-book of this one doesnt come out until January I see.

January? May I ask where's that info from? That's 7 months between LE and regular release, not happy to hear that.

Still waiting for that full review AA! :wink:

The regular hardback and e-book of this one doesnt come out until January I see.

January? May I ask where's that info from? That's 7 months between LE and regular release, not happy to hear that.

Found a listing on Amazon.de: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Nate-Crowley/dp/1800261349/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=nate+crowley&qid=1625233790&s=books&sr=1-4

Their dates are frequently off by a few weeks, especially with a book 7 months out from release, but 6 months is the standard LE to hardback time.

For some reason, I believed it was 3 months between LE / standard. On the positive note, I can keep working on my backlog.

It’s usually 3 months for Horus Heresy releases. Never seen it with other books unfortunately.

Sorry for leaving folk hanging. I wrote a relatively long-for-me review of it on Goodreads-

[link]https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58272429[/link]

But more specific thoughts follow here. Vague spoilers, but I’ll try not to give too much away-

The best thing that I think the book does is hold a mirror up to the Imperium. Makari nails it’s inconsistency and hypocrisy on several occasions, and comparisons with Orkish Kultur highlights that absurdity- at one point Crowley has the Space Wolf deliver holis battlefield philosophy/theology which is effectively the same as the Orks’ famous idea that they “never lose” because they win/come back to fight again/die so don’t care. The book falls short of going full on “we’re not so very different, you and I…” but has an awful lot of fun with the concept. For all the supposed bestial savagery of the orks, it’s the Imperial characters who are the most brutal and direct in this book.

It goes pretty hard on the idea that Ghazghkull specifically and powerful Orks generally have the ability to shape reality; Makari isn’t a specific grot, more like the constantly reincarnated version of an ideal; after his first iteration and death, he is just a regular grot until he is bestowed with the name- when this happens, he *becomes* the banna waver. Ghazghkull rises to prominence through force of will as much as anything, more than a prophet of the ork gods, I’d say he is their avatar. Again the Imperial parallels are interesting, especially when one considers Yarrick’s stated belief that he becomes a symbol of the whole Imperium when battling orks.

As I alluded to in the Goodreads review, each part of the book tracks to a different miniature of Ghazghkull- his first encounter with Makari references his original banner, his return after the long absence sees Ghaz much bigger and him wielding a rusty iron icon, which I really like.

Orks find the human concept of gender absurd and draw no distinctions between the different types of humies, much to the chagrin of their interrogators.

The book, as far as I can tell, doesn’t make a direct link between Armageddon/Ulanor but it does make it clear that the planet is important to Gork and Mork.

The Blood Axe translator is a really interesting character; the old piece of art depicting members of the Klan interacting with humans is one of my all time favourites and based on this book I’d say that Nate Crowley shares this preference.

I know I’ve a tendency to be mighty fulsome in my praise, but this is another great book, an instant classic in the BL catalogue.

It’s been a while since I’ve read it now, so I’m hazy on some details but will try to answer any other questions folk have.

• 2 weeks later...

Great book. Went into this with a heavy heart and very low expectations. But it was a fantastic read. Despite it being very short it gives great insight into ork kulture and life. It’s humorous without being silly. Thrakas rise is a fun brilliant ride. Orks are, in 40k, childish and their attitude is that of the playground, Thraka reminds me of a few characters I knew in school and they were usually accompanied by a snivelling Makari. Nate does this all without it being a stupid book. A balance I admit I wasn’t sure was achievable. Well done Nate, a different feel for BL but one that fits absolutely. The alien perspective is a hard one to do as a writer and I admire any of the writers who give it a go. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I think this definitely has worked. Recommend

Will add that when the orks talk in the book they do it largely through an interpreter so we thankfully miss out on the daft ork English. Nate avoids this and the orks talk in their indecipherable alien tongue and it gets translated….

Edited by Knockagh

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed listening to Brutal Kunnin and Blood of Iax. The Ork Warboss in Blood of Iax was pretty comical. I’m sure many would disagree, but I have no issue with the way the Orks voices are portrayed on the audio. I can’t wait for Thraka book to be put on Audible.

I need to get around to listening to both of those books, I love MacNiven and Brutal Kunnin seems pretty promising. But after the article posted of Warhammer Community with Nate Crowley (and having read Severed), I really want to get to this book and I'm a faster listener these days

Nate Crowley’s interview is the exact kind of marketing content BL needs to produce more of. There’s promotion for existing works, insight into the authorial process, a tease of what Crowley wants to work on (Kroot!), and a cover reveal. However I’m left scratching my head at the timing. The purpose of promotion is to get people to buy whatever’s being promoted and you can’t do that with any of Crowley’s novels unless you spend a small fortune on EBay. Maybe it’s a sign TDK:R is coming out in the next couple of weeks, but with the coming soon page 3 months out of date and no communication from BL who can say?

Interview in question: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/11/meet-the-man-brave-enough-to-get-inside-the-head-of-ghazghkull-thraka/

Edited by cheywood

I really enjoyed listening to Brutal Kunnin and Blood of Iax. The Ork Warboss in Blood of Iax was pretty comical. I’m sure many would disagree, but I have no issue with the way the Orks voices are portrayed on the audio. I can’t wait for Thraka book to be put on Audible.

Part of the fun of Orks is that they sound hilarious, and when looked at from a distance they can look hilarious, but up close they are utterly alien in their thinking and pretty terrifying. The Enemy of my Enemy shows this pretty well from a Guard perspective as they feel annoyed that creatures as goofy as the Orks are holding them in a stalemate, but then also see just how dangerous and terrifying the Orks can be. 

The comedy ork has been a source of controversy ever since always. I’m not a fan, it seems most are. I’ve never been able to see how they fit in the pretty terrible place that is 40k.

In Thraka Nate does them brilliantly. He didnt reinvent the 40k ork and make them LoTR serious, they are still very 40k orks but they definitely aren’t silly. He is fleshing out ork society. What looks stupid to humans is perfectly rational to the ork, he’s explaining away the stupid, without ruining it. I really liked this book.