Do Canoptek Units Get DC and PC's?

jarms48

Hi there, I don't play Necrons but my mate does. He seems to be having issues dealing with massed vehicles. I play Guard and sometimes bring a spearhead with 11 leman russ tanks.

He seems to think Necrons have no good AT options at all. I had a look through Reddit and read his codex. Canoptek Doomstalkers look pretty decent. 

I suggested he might be able to get some and a Technomancer for some heavy firepower, but he's not convinced.

Necrons have a ton more rules than my old 8th Guard codex, I know my sub-factions don't get Regiment abilities or orders. So my question is do Canoptek units get Dynastic Codes and Command Protocols? 

What's the best way to run Doomstalkers? Does Necrons have a super doctrine they lose if they take multiple detachments of different dynasties? Similar to Guard taking a detachment of infantry and a separate detachment of tanks for the regiment traits. 

Help me, so I can help him. Thanks. :)

Canoptek units get both Dynastic Codes and Command Protocols where applicable.

The Doomstalker and DDA both can be great anti armor. They can also easily go all game without doing anything. They're incredibly swingy which makes it hard to rely on them, especially since they can't fire their High Energy profile if they move. Bringing duplicates can help even out the odds, but that gets expensive. Dealing with armor is actually the hardest part of list building for me with my Necrons, so I do see where your friend is coming from, but it's not insurmountable.

Thanks for that, if they're too swingy what's a good alternative for AT work? The Void Dragon looked good, but they seem expensive, have limited movement, and you can only have 1. 

Lokhust Heavy Destroyers are useful in that endeavour.

Dealing with 11 tanks is a tall order but there are ways to win games - keeping behind obscuring terrain and cover and forcing them to move closer, scoring points and not worrying too much about killing your army...

What is the rest of his list?

Doomstalkers are kind of good but three of them aren't going to win a shoot out with 11 tanks. 

If I had to deal with 11 Leman Russ with the current Necron codex I'd try and do it in melee. Swarm them with scarabs, wraiths and so on. The void dragon probably is pretty nasty for guard to deal with, since they can only cause it 3 wounds in a shooting phase and they might struggle to hurt it much any other time, so yeah that's certainly something to consider.

The main approach though would be to win the game rather than worrying about winning the fight. Necrons are good at covering the midboard in obsec units and I think guard would struggle to get rid of them fast enough. So kill the infantry, tie up tanks in melee whenever possible and take the points.

Void Dragon is great once he gets close enough. The first time I used him he killed 3 ironstriders and 6 kastelan robots by turn three, plus some smaller stuff that got in the way. He does OK against stuff like skitarii but not nearly as impressive as how fast he goes through vehicles.

Lokhust Heavy Destroyers are useful in that endeavour.

Dealing with 11 tanks is a tall order but there are ways to win games - keeping behind obscuring terrain and cover and forcing them to move closer, scoring points and not worrying too much about killing your army...

What is the rest of his list?

He swaps between character units. I've seen command barges, overlords, lords, wardens, that one that gives +1 to resurrection protocols, normally 40 warriors and 5 immortals, or just 60 warriors, there's a unit that gives other units rerolls of 1 to hit after it shoots (spider?), sometimes a unit of 10 lychguard, sometimes 10 of those snipers, sometimes 5 wraiths, sometimes an annihilation/doomsday barge. Maybe more.

I'm not very familiar with Necron names sorry, only from what I remember skimming his codex or from playing against him. 

I don't always play with 11 leman russes, that's just an extreme example. A lot of the time it might just be 3 tank commanders and a few chimeras.