Returning newcomer, looking for advices

Many Binharic Bessings, fellow Magi !

I am Magos Guilderius Davvarel, returning to THE hobby after a break (or maybe I should call it a stop) of nearly 20years.

Last time I played, Drukharis were only known as Dark Eldars, and there were only rumors of Necrons spotted on a few desolated and far away worlds...

I believe I stopped playing sometime between the 3rd and the 4th ed, iirc.

So ! Back to the topic ! I'm starting a new army, AdMech of course, and received the very first models last week (still waiting for modelism stuff though, and the painting set-up is on its way) so no hurries there.

Plus, I still need to record every single new rule in my servo-skull.

Still, with the new codex on the way (so eager to pre-order/receive it :tongue.:), and having thoroughly read the 8th codex, I wanted to go full Mars. My first army list (battle-forged, Strike Force size) was focused on heavy shooting, with strong synergies between TP Dominus and TP Manipulus (capitalizing their auras + going berzerk with dual rolls on Canticles of the Omnissiah).

But since the preview got out on WHC, I have my doubts about Mars still being a thing in 9th. For example, the *new* Mars Dogma states that skitarri units with it gain the ability "Canticles of the Omnissiah" => does this mean that new AdMech won't have this by default, as it was the case before ? I'm a bit confused there tbh...

What are your thoughts, and advices for a returning newcomer (is this even a thing ??) ?

Thank you for your time,

Praise the Omnissiah !

EDIT : I'm french btw, so please excuse my syntax ;)

Edited by Magos Guilderius Davvarel

Firstly, welcome back to the hobby! (You never truly leave :teehee:).

I am in a similar boat myself. I've been painting and modelling all the way through but only recently started to pick up dice again. I just posted a topic today about scoring objectives that will hopefully be useful to you as well.

It's not advice but will you be uploading pictures of your miniatures? I love to see Adeptus Mechanicus armies so I'm looking forward to your progress. :)

Hello Magos Takatus,

Yes I have read the topic you're refering to, I'll make sure to follow any advice given there :)

I've seen on your insta that you use greenstuffworld paints, are they good ? I also went GSW (because, Citadel is WAY too pricey to my liking), and even ordered crackle paints, pigments and blue glowing pigments (I plan to use them on plasma rifles of course :P).

Back on topic, I'm still trying to learn the new rules (and there are A BUNCH of 'em for someone who stopped playing for so long !) and really waiting for the new codex, but this preview gave me some worries as what will happen.

Strangely enough, I haven't seen a lot of comments about this, so maybe worrying for nothing... I hope !

And of course I will upload as many pics as possible, but do not expect them before a fair amount of weeks. As I said, I just received the models (1x SC:AdMech box, 1x Skitarii box, 1x ElectroPriest box, 1x Pteraxii box, 1x Onager, 1x Dunerider, 1x TP Dominus, 1x TP Manipulus) and still waiting some of the painting/modelism stuff (primer from Army Painter, some other GSW paints and tools, etc). AND I have to install my newly received desk and set this all up ! Some steps left before even being able to start painting :)

I've seen on your insta that you use greenstuffworld paints, are they good ? I also went GSW (because, Citadel is WAY too pricey to my liking), and even ordered crackle paints, pigments and blue glowing pigments (I plan to use them on plasma rifles of course :tongue.:).

I have experimented with quite a few GSW products and for the most part I find them useful. I find the Fluo paints hard to use since they are so thin and the pigment tends to clump together. I am wondering if the fluo pigments they sell would be better. I think their metal pigments are amazing and give good results mixed with their master medium. I like their metallic paints but I haven't tried their standard coloured acrylics yet. I am a big fan of their colourshift paints and have used them in a few circumstances but they can be tricky to use if you don;t have an airbrush, you have to apply a lot of very thin layers with them.

I must admit I am surprised how little discussion about the Admech previews has occurred here this time. Perhaps it's because only one new model is being released? I am hoping we get a lot more traffic back in here once the codex drops.

I have experimented with quite a few GSW products and for the most part I find them useful. I find the Fluo paints hard to use since they are so thin and the pigment tends to clump together. I am wondering if the fluo pigments they sell would be better. I think their metal pigments are amazing and give good results mixed with their master medium. I like their metallic paints but I haven't tried their standard coloured acrylics yet. I am a big fan of their colourshift paints and have used them in a few circumstances but they can be tricky to use if you don;t have an airbrush, you have to apply a lot of very thin layers with them.

I took all my paints there, and the primer (Red Dragon) on TheArmyPainter. Can't wait to test them out, especially these pigments. I think they recommend to use them with a Pigment Fixer (that I also bought), maybe this is why the pigments tend to clump together ?

I took the Medium Red Oxide pigment for the close-to-base parts of cloth/feets/etc, very curious to see how this will turn out :P I think I'll also use it as a complement for bases, alongside Martian Earth crackle paint^^

Colourshift seem a bit, well, to colourfull to my licking :P Want my AdMech to look grim, dusty and weary, as the (very very veeeeery) old lore-faction they are :D

I must admit I am surprised how little discussion about the Admech previews has occurred here this time. Perhaps it's because only one new model is being released? I am hoping we get a lot more traffic back in here once the codex drops.

Yes, I also follow other sites (Goonhammer and Sprues&Brues) and there aren't that many sounds there either.... Maybe the noonspheric traffic is being compromised again, who knows ?

There is still a lot of information missing, to make a judgement how the new codex will look like, but based on the articles (the one about Canticles and Doctrina Imperatives just went up) it looks like a majot shakeup.

But to answer your question if "Mars is the thing", my gut feeling tells me that you have to chose your Forge World based on your preffered playstyle.

@Vanger Yes you are right of course, it's still a bit early to conclude anything. And if custom FWs are a bit buffed compared to canon ones, it can't be bad either. I'd love to craft my own strats based on what I fancy the most : FSOTMG aka Faithful Servant Of The Machine God aka Bring On The Big Guns :P

Readed the new codex. All I want to say is it is pretty safe to invest on Mars.

At a minimum check out the Goonhammer review of the new codex. Its pretty informing but you'll still need the full book to make any real decisions 

Thank you to you two :) I was in fact awaiting the review to be posted on Goonhammer when I posted my topic ;) Starting reading it thoroughly and, as Sir Tokugawa here stated, I also think Mars is still a way to go.

Still, I'm might be interested in investing in a mixed army, there a few other FWs that turn my switch on (which is nothing nasty for a Magos, so hold your horses there XD).

Thanks for the advices ;)

At a minimum check out the Goonhammer review of the new codex. Its pretty informing but you'll still need the full book to make any real decisions 

Thank you to you two :smile.: I was in fact awaiting the review to be posted on Goonhammer when I posted my topic :wink: Starting reading it thoroughly and, as Sir Tokugawa here stated, I also think Mars is still a way to go.

Still, I'm might be interested in investing in a mixed army, there a few other FWs that turn my switch on (which is nothing nasty for a Magos, so hold your horses there XD).

Thanks for the advices :wink:

Mars is probably going to be the best due to them not caring about some of the clunky keyword interactions alone. After Mars though Ryza and Metalica are looking good

I'm probably going Rad-Sat but I will need more Skitarii most likely. I was delighted that they introduced a rules theme that fit the background for my Forge World. I love the idea of Str 4 Radium Carbines. That has the potential to be nasty when combined with my Manipulus and a Marshal.

Thank you to you two :smile.: I was in fact awaiting the review to be posted on Goonhammer when I posted my topic :wink: Starting reading it thoroughly and, as Sir Tokugawa here stated, I also think Mars is still a way to go.

Thanks for the advices :wink:

Mars is probably going to be the best due to them not caring about some of the clunky keyword interactions alone. After Mars though Ryza and Metalica are looking good

Yes, Ryza and Metalica lokk awesome (especially Metalica with their supplement Book of Rust) ; yet I'm more attracted by Lucius and Agripinaa, after Mars ^^

I'm probably going Rad-Sat but I will need more Skitarii most likely. I was delighted that they introduced a rules theme that fit the background for my Forge World. I love the idea of Str 4 Radium Carbines. That has the potential to be nasty when combined with my Manipulus and a Marshal.

Agreed, the synergies they inducted with Skitarii units and Marshalls are awesome :biggrin.:

Edited by Magos Guilderius Davvarel