Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

break from marines to go craftworlds

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

MarshalMittermeier

MarshalMittermeier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 128 posts
So, yeah. Went dual missiles for the warwalker and dual starcannons for the lord.

MarshalMittermeier

MarshalMittermeier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 128 posts

update: just bought the second start collecting box. will start assembling tonight. maybe now that i have approx. 1000 pt army, i should start actual armylist building , namegiving for craftworld and characters, etc. the fun now begins! smile.png

first take:

Spearhead detachment: 

craftworld traits: expert crafters, hunters of ancient relics

HQ:

-farseer ( doom,fortune, faolchu's wing, seer of the shifting vector, singing spear)

-spiritseer (protect/jinx)

ELITES:

10 x wraithblades (axes)

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Wraithlord (glaive, dual starcannons, dual shuriken catapults)

Wraithlord (glaive, dual starcannons, dual shuriken catapults)

2 x warwalkers (dual missile launchers)

990 points, will probably add dual flamers to one of the wraithlords for any potential 1k game as proxy.

thoughts regarding configurations?

the flgs has kits of wave serpents and guardians/avengers to slowly start buying afterwards to round up my force.

Edited by MarshalMittermeier, 03 October 2021 - 04:57 AM.

MarshalMittermeier

MarshalMittermeier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 128 posts

the next purchase will probably be wave serpents & troops, but i want to wait for the new codex cause i have a strong feeling guardians will get 4+ save like the drukhari equivalents.

• Karhedron likes this

Urkh

Urkh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 897 posts
I have a feeling you have both of your boxes painted before mine, hahaha.
  • Karhedron and TrawlingCleaner like this

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,292 posts

the next purchase will probably be wave serpents & troops, but i want to wait for the new codex cause i have a strong feeling guardians will get 4+ save like the drukhari equivalents.

It would certainly be welcome although it would rather leave Dire Avengers looking a bit pointless as the boosted save is one of their big bonuses over Guardians.
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,784 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthw√©

It would certainly be welcome although it would rather leave Dire Avengers looking a bit pointless as the boosted save is one of their big bonuses over Guardians.

Very easy fix....they're aspect warriors allow them to ignore the -1 BS mod when advancings and shooting (on top of the differences between avenger cats & standard shuriken cats) helps give a role to the units

Dyspraxic & Dyslexic  - So I might not write/explain what I think I have as clearly as intended to.... 

I'm confused... what side of the fence am I on???

happy.png

MarshalMittermeier

MarshalMittermeier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 128 posts

I have a feeling you have both of your boxes painted before mine, hahaha.

i don't think so. i have assembled everything, but want to first try painting the converted spiritseer, because i was never a good painter and have never painted eldar before. he will be my "test model" for painting the rest of the force(lower risk, since the spiritseer, while good, isn't a MUST have model). so the actual painting may be a little slower.

• TrawlingCleaner likes this

MarshalMittermeier

MarshalMittermeier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 128 posts

question regarding 2k organization: i have 2 options:

-fill a battalion by getting 3 troops and wave serpents, and get more CP that way.

-use just 2 guardian squads on wave serpents and stay a spearhead. this will cost me CP, but will allow me to use more heavy support options; for example the third mech squad that i want could be, instead of guardians + serpent, dark reapers + falcon.

what would be best?

for context, what i plan regarding the final list:

-how will you score primary objectives?

by wraithguard slaying people midboard, shooting some enemies off objectives, and contesting with guardians +waveserpents.

-how will you score secondary objectives?

by using vehicle hulls to score engage in all fronts, using a small mobile squad to score data (idk which yet), and tailor the third objective to opponent's list .

-how will you take down hordes?

by blast weapons from the warwalkers, shoot + fade to protect them, and added shuriken fire/doom.

-how will you take down elite infantry? 

by wraith constructs' cc, buffed by protect + fortune + spiritseer + hunters of ancient relics, combined with the starcannons.

-how will you take down vehicles? 

-by missiles, starcannons, Doom, and possible bright lances (maybe on vypers, idk yet), shooting buffed by expert crafters should help some here.

Edited by MarshalMittermeier, 08 October 2021 - 07:43 AM.

TrawlingCleaner

TrawlingCleaner

++ CLOACARIUS RETICULUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,507 posts

In 9th ed, everyone is given the same amount of CP to start with, you only spend CP when you want to use more than one detachment. It's a massive step up from 8th (IMO) as it deinsentivises fillinf out detachments with the bare minimum. If you use a Spearhead or a Battlion, you still start with the normal amount of CP for that game size. You only start to spend CP when you bring more than one detachment.

While Wraith are great at killing units, they aren't objective secured and slow so they can just be swamped by troops with ObSec while objectives are taken. Holding objectives are one of the things that Eldar struggle most with as our troops are so fragile. I've had success with Dire Avengers jumping out of a Wave Serpent with the vehicle blocking off enemy units from getting closer or blocking Line of Sight to the Avengers. I've yet to run Guardians properly so I can't comment on them!

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,292 posts

In 9th ed, everyone is given the same amount of CP to start with, you only spend CP when you want to use more than one detachment. It's a massive step up from 8th (IMO) as it deinsentivises fillinf out detachments with the bare minimum. If you use a Spearhead or a Battlion, you still start with the normal amount of CP for that game size. You only start to spend CP when you bring more than one detachment.

That is not quite true. Only Patrol, Battalion and Brigade refund the CP cost if the Warlord is part of the Detachment. If you take a Spearhead detachment, it costs 3CPs, even if it has your Warlord in it.

Personally I think that a lot of our best units are in Heavy (Reapers, Fire Prisms, War Walkers). Unless I am playing small games, I tend to bite the bullet and pay the 3 CP for a Spearhead Detachment. You still have way more CPs than in 8th and you do not have to bring so many Troops if you do not want to.

My usual arrangement at the moment is Patrol (with Warlord so 0CPs) and a Spearhead. This means I can take 2-4 HQs, 1-6 Troops, 3-8 Heavy, 0-4 Elite and 0-4 Fast. I get 9 CPs before extra WLTs and Relics (to be honest our WLTs and Relics are often not worth the extra CPs at the moment IMHO).

Holding Objectives with 1W T3 Troops is definitely a struggle. I tend to use my Heavies to clear enemy units from Objectives and my Wave Serpents to actually grab them. Enemy units with ObjSec can't steal Objectives from you if your Fire Prisms have turned them into red mist. msn-wink.gif

Edited by Karhedron, 08 October 2021 - 11:29 AM.

Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

TrawlingCleaner

TrawlingCleaner

++ CLOACARIUS RETICULUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,507 posts

That is not quite true. Only Patrol, Battalion and Brigade refund the CP cost if the Warlord is part of the Detachment. If you take a Spearhead detachment, it costs 3CPs, even if it has your Warlord in it.

Personally I think that a lot of our best units are in Heavy (Reapers, Fire Prisms, War Walkers). Unless I am playing small games, I tend to bite the bullet and pay the 3 CP for a Spearhead Detachment. You still have way more CPs than in 8th and you do not have to bring so many Troops if you do not want to.

What a numpty, I've been playing that wrong then! Oops! sweat.gif

Definitely agree about Heavy Support being our strong points, Night Spinners, Support Platforms and a lot of the Forgeworld tanks are all ace too. Troops are our weakest point at the moment, even with Celestial shield and Protect on a Guardian unit won't do much

MarshalMittermeier

MarshalMittermeier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 128 posts
Wraith units can use matchless agility too or even strike from webway. I think they will do fine for the first turns. However, yeah I agree now my best bet for the future is spearhead or patrol + spearhead.
  • Karhedron and TrawlingCleaner like this

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,292 posts

What a numpty, I've been playing that wrong then! Oops! sweat.gif

No worries, I am still wrapping my head around the notion of Detachments costing CPs rather than providing them. ohmy.png
  • Dread likes this

Dr. Clock

Dr. Clock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 513 posts
  • Faction: Doom Weasels

question regarding 2k organization: i have 2 options:

-fill a battalion by getting 3 troops and wave serpents, and get more CP that way.

-use just 2 guardian squads on wave serpents and stay a spearhead. this will cost me CP, but will allow me to use more heavy support options; for example the third mech squad that i want could be, instead of guardians + serpent, dark reapers + falcon.

You missed on option: Battalion + Patrol is still 1 less CP than a straight Spearhead, and still you get up to 5 choices in every slot, as long as you pay the HQ+Troops tax.

Eldar happen to be blessed with very efficient MSU troops right now though in the form of Dire Avengers, and warlocks are likewise cheap and effective.  Guardians certainly work (I take 20 in w/ lances every game), but 2x5 DA + up to 2 characters will fit in a single Serpent and have a touch more for the trading game where you just slowly feed 45 point 5-man Obsec units out over a few turns.

All of that means that the cheapest option CP-wise is generally going to be best, and therefore if you need to go outside a single Battalion there's basically no reason to take a Spearhead unless you a) don't have enough HQ/troops in your collection for a second patrol or Battalion, or B) absolutely want to take 6+ HS choices.

You really do want 4+ troops choices available most of the time in this edition, I find. So I usually run at least 20 guardians and 15 DA (1x10+1x5), but a unit of Rangers on top of that can be clutch for camping when the other stuff is mounted or in the Webway. Heck - min/maxing DA to spam Serpents is probably among the most points-effiicient lists we have, but I still like taking the bigger squads (Ulthwe Guardian bomb never gets old IMO).

ObSec is not everything, just almost everything.

Guardian Serpents will work ok... they're just not quite as efficient as DA, and you can't take both the platform and a warlock / farseer pal in there.

It's a bit annoying that DA only come with 5 in the kit these days.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

These are the droids we are looking for.

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,292 posts
If you don't mind buying 4 Troops units then I agree, Battalion + Patrol is not bad at all. MSU Avengers are decent for the price if you protect them carefully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users