RG list from Gladiator Gaming GT

XeonDragon

So I notice over at Goonhammer that a mixed list featuring a RG successor came 5th at the Gladiator Gaming GT in Australia. List posted below, but would love your thoughts on it, both in terms of using RG as "allies" but more importantly, on the RG component and how you might see it being used in a game. Cheers!

Hayden Walduck
Gladiator Gaming GT
++ Vanguard Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [36 PL, 705pts] ++

+ Configuration +

*Chapter Selection*: Bolter Fusillades, Dark Angels, Long-range Marksmen

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Lieutenant(s) [8 PL, 160pts]
. Ravenwing Talonmaster: Arbiter's Gaze, Rites of War, 

. Ravenwing Talonmaster: 

+ Elites +

Deathwing Command Squad [4 PL, 75pts]
. Deathwing Sergeant
. . Storm Bolter & Power Sword
. Deathwing Terminator
. . Storm Bolter & Chainfist: Chainfist

. Deathwing Sergeant
. Deathwing Terminator

. Deathwing Sergeant
. Deathwing Terminator

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Raven Guard successors) [63 PL, -1CP, 1,295pts] ++

+ Configuration +

*Chapter Selection*: Born Heroes , Raven Guard, Whirlwind of Rage

+ HQ +

Lieutenants [4 PL, -1CP, 75pts]
. Lieutenant in Reiver Armour: Master of Ambush, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, The Vox Espiritum, 

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, 140pts]: 3. Exhortation of Rage, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Benediction of Fury, Chapter Command:  Master of Sanctity, Litany of Hate, Swift and Deadly, Warlord

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 120pts]
. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine
. Infiltrator Sergeant

+ Elites +

Vanguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 277pts]: Jump Pack
. Vanguard Veteran: Power fist, Storm shield
. Vanguard Veteran: Bolt pistol and Chainsword, Storm shield
. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

Vanguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 233pts]: Jump Pack
. Vanguard Veteran: Lightning Claw, Storm shield
. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

+ Fast Attack +

Attack Bike Squad [6 PL, 165pts]
. Attack Bike: Multi-melta

Attack Bike Squad [6 PL, 165pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Thunderfire Cannon [6 PL, 120pts]

Aux Dark angels  -2cp

. Ravenwing Talonmaster

++ Total: [99 PL, -7CP, 2,000pts] ++

First of all, thank you for sharing the list. I was looking around for it since I'm not subscribed to BCP. It is quite unconventionnal indeed, and the fact it placed so well makes it all the more interesting. 

First and foremost - a Thunderfire cannon?!? Those things still exists? Seriously though, I'm at a lost here as to why it is in the list. For 5 more points, he could have had a Castellan Whirlwind and take advantage of Suppressive Fire. Anyway, he is visibly a better player than I am.

Raven Guard as allies make sense for me. Even though I think the Raven Guard Superdoctrine is usefull at time, I can understand it is quite less critical than for other Chapters and such loosing it to combine strenght with another Chapter makes sense. I'm a lot less familiar with Dark Angels though so can't really comment on that part except for the fact that it looks like he was banking on the Character status of the Talon Master to keep them alive and shooting for as long as possible. I can definitely see them zooming around the board then a squad of Deathwing Terminators teleport 3" from them and prevent them from being targeted until those are taken care of. What surprises me is the lack of Str7+ shooting in the list.

Not sure if it's a pasting error or something else, but the list you posted is 2160 pts - that extra Auxiliary for a third Talon Master brings the list over points.

• 2 weeks later...

The RG component is pretty standard Hayden Walduck; he played in a couple other team events where he ranked highly, his team coming 2nd at Art of War Queensland and 1st at the Gladiator Gaming Teams Event. He tends to run 17-20 Vanguards in two big units of Powerfists and Chainswords (interestingly averages out against marines compared to Lightning Claws, but takes less of a power reduction when models die), all with Storm Shields, plus 6 Multi-Melta Attack Bikes and 5 Plasmaceptors. He's also run 5 BGV, 2 Redemptors and/or an Apothecary at various times.

Goonhammer has characterized his lists as "all-out damage build" which focus on damage output rather than resilience, including using MoA for power projection. They note his list may struggle against the new "anvil" of Deathwing Terminators as well as against go-wide strategies like Drukhari and Orks given its lack of Rites of War or Lighting Claws. In this new list we can see him attempt to address those weaknesses by mixing in Lightning Claws and a :censored:-ton of dakka in the form of Bolter Fusillades Talonmasters and Terminators; I'd expect this list to be a lot better at holding key midboard objectives and using the RG as more of a counterpunch.

My current tournament list is based on this in part, but I wanted to keep it pure Shadowhawks (RG Successors) and have yet to test it fully; it's also going to have to adapt to the new CA points changes, specifically jump VVs with Storm Shields going up 2ppm and Chief Apothecary going up 20pts; I may just cut 1 VV. The idea is to use the BGV and Terminators as objective holders and support them with the VVs and shooting units. I have the Chaplain to allow for 7" charges out of deep strike and to give ObSec to the Terminators, which should help against hordes, and my Captain gives the VVs an average threat range of 22.5".

Lately though I've been finding support characters kind of fiddly to work with at times, and at Strike Force level with 12 CP and only 1 VV unit you can rely on Strike from the Skies more, so Swift & Deadly isn't that critical. From a purely competitive angle I should also probably drop the Invictor and run some more Plasmaceptors and Attack Bikes, but I'm not running firstborn that aren't part of 1st company :wink:

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Raven Guard) ++

**Chapter Selection**: Born Heroes , Raven Guard Successor, Whirlwind of Rage
Battle Size: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

+ HQ +

Captain: Grav-pistol, Jump Pack, Relic blade, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Swift and Deadly

Chaplain in Terminator Armour: 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Benediction of Fury, Litany of Hate, Rites of War, Storm bolter, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad: Helix gauntlet
. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine
. Infiltrator Sergeant

Infiltrator Squad
. Infiltrator Sergeant

Intercessor Squad: Auto Bolt Rifle
. 9x Intercessor: 9x Bolt pistol, 9x Frag & Krak grenades
. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword

+ Elites +

Bladeguard Veteran Squad
. 4x Bladeguard Veteran: 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 4x Master-crafted power sword, 4x Storm Shield
. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Neo-volkite pistol

Invictor Tactical Warsuit: Twin ironhail autocannon

Primaris Apothecary: Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Master of Ambush, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Master of the Trifold Path, Warlord

Redemptor Dreadnought: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Terminator Assault Squad
. Assault Terminator Sergeant
. . Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield: Thunder hammer
. 4x Assault Terminator w/THSS: 4x Storm shield, 4x Thunder hammer

Vanguard Veteran Squad: Jump Pack
. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Lightning Claw, Storm shield