What do you expect/want to see in CA 2021 for Necrons?

dreadmad

I might be wrong but I can't remember unofficial leaks (with pictures) that were proven wrong when the actual thing came out; I'd tend to trust this one.

Necron Immortals may be bigger and more heavily armed and armoured than Necron Warriors, but they’ve often been overlooked compared to their more numerous cousins on account of their high points cost. No longer! Coming in at a mere 4 points more per model than Necron Warriors, an army centred around a solid core of Immortals is now a perfectly competitive option.

From todays WarCom article. Interesting, because Immortals are already 4pts more than Warriors

Sucks eh. I doubt very much we'll get a Codex rewrite before 10th edition which is a crying shame.

Now Necrons are selling well as part of a starter set, I hold out the slightest hope, but 40K has a saying about that.

The words on the article now says "regardless of what guns they carry" which does imply the weapons for Immortals will both be free.

That is something. I might actually get a unit of 10 for funnsies now, though Guass Blasters are pretty good still so maybe not.

Edited by Captain Idaho

I'm expecting a full codex rewrite.

Setting yourself up for disappointment there. If non-functional books like GK/CSM have to wait for their next release to get their upgraded wounds etc then there's no chance a functional book is getting changed.

The words on the article now says "regardless of what guns they carry" which does imply the weapons for Immortals will both be free.

Interesting. Seems like both Troops will stay the same points then.

Setting yourself up for disappointment there. If non-functional books like GK/CSM have to wait for their next release to get their upgraded wounds etc then there's no chance a functional book is getting changed.

Every mention of necrons I expect a full rewrite of this barely functional codex. Every time I'm disappointed, just like every time I play a game with mine.

Like last weekend I was reminded once again of how infinitely better admech is, and that's the old admech, not even the new super busted admech!

Interesting. Seems like both Troops will stay the same points then.

Or, both warriors and immortals go up by the same amount!

Apparently GW clarified on a FB comment that it’s the cost of Tesla dropping. This means the “leak” was in fact a fake.

Hears hoping to actual points drops in the codex. A 2 point drop on one weapon that’s on maybe 10 models is not much of a change.

Apparently GW clarified on a FB comment that it’s the cost of Tesla dropping. This means the “leak” was in fact a fake.

Hears hoping to actual points drops in the codex. A 2 point drop on one weapon that’s on maybe 10 models is not much of a change.

Especially considering that it is a pretty clear secondary weapon choice. Gauss blasters might not be flashy, but the AP is needed to remove a significant chunk of the enemy's save chances. 

Seems funny that one of the top 5 point reductions doesn't REALLY have a point reduction.

I haven't been keeping up closely and don't have tesla Immortals, I just thought it was another classic WC article mistake. Kind of sad to hear that this seems to be the truth of the matter.

Think positive! Immortals could be dropping to 16 AND warriors down to 12!! Strange they didn't just come out with their actual points cost. The immortals portion was very cryptic, perhaps to hide the good news?

Regardless I think Tesla immortals are back on the menu, especially for mephrit.

What do you guys think about Teslamortals now? Maybe have 5 in a unit for the MW strat?

I considered this. The Strategum is actually really solid when we consider it is going to affect nearby characters clumping around the target unit. A few turns later and a bunch of enemy characters have lost a bunch of wounds.

I like the strat, so I make sure there's always one soure of tesla in an army. I generally start with the voltaic staff.

Tesla immortals would be pretty good if they cost the same as gauss ones. They do get two shots at max range, after all. It's true that losing ap is a problem, but to be honest you're not really buying those 5-man squads for their killing power. I think the two options are roughly equally good, so it's good to see that reflected in the points.

I'm generally hoping for some points cuts. That said, I don't generally see points as the problem for necrons. It's more that various mechanics (command protocols in particular) just aren't that interesting or impactful. But I guess there are clearly units (like lokhust destroyers) that could be fixed somewhat by a points drop, and that would be a start.

I haven't had many games, but I like the tesla's on the Tomb Blades. Zoom across the board early on when folks are closer together, zappity zap, then run away hopefully before dying.

I admit, I only own 40 warriors, so doing 20/10/10 irked me. I may do 20/20 and a 10 pack of Immortals if I decide to get the Combat Patrol, but I'm not sold on the Scythes.

Ok so the leaks are out. CCB and chronomancer with Lance up 10. Lokhusts down 5, heavies down 10 and DDAs down 20. Tesla for immortals is free. Maybe some other stuff I missed but not much. No drop for the overpriced characters, for example.

This is awkward for me because it means my army goes up in points. It may be that Lokhusts are now more viable but I don’t have any. That said, I can’t see a lot of point in normal ones now they’re only 10 points less than the heavies.

I understand these changes by themselves. I just dont understand the overall idea. Either these change decisions were made soon after codex release or they literally throw darts at units to decide what gets a cut. Not trying to sound salty but this seems so half baked. Maybe it's just me, but I could have sworn the flyers, anihilation barge, and hexmark would have had a cut in addition to the above. Equally deserving if not more. Edited by Ahzek451

The CCB is fairly efficient as a buff HQ, so I guess I see the points increase. It’s survivable, but unfortunately it’s not really a great beat stick unit. Kind of a jack of all trades, maybe? Really hampered by okay relics and bad warlord traits.

I think the real effective change is the HLD. I think they’re out best access to 3+d3(really the only) and 180 for 3 is doable. 120 for 2 may be a good anti vehicle punch to splash in to a list.