What do you expect/want to see in CA 2021 for Necrons?

dreadmad

That would probably get the heavy into my lists... or at least into consideration. On the fence about normal lokhusts... if they come down 10 as well then I would have been all over them!

Still, two lokhust and a heavy now 160 points... starting to get interesting

Edited by dice4thedicegod

How do people feel about the DDA at 170?

I ran them pretty aggressively in 8th (forward deploy for screening, but then stay stationary) and found the output from the Gauss Flayer Arrays suprisingly strong.

With 1st turn often being something of a no-go in the shooting phase if you're playing with a bulk of scenery - it might work well to move up T1 into rapid fire range for T2.

I understand these changes by themselves. I just dont understand the overall idea. Either these change decisions were made soon after codex release or they literally throw darts at units to decide what gets a cut. Not trying to sound salty but this seems so half baked. Maybe it's just me, but I could have sworn the flyers, anihilation barge, and hexmark would have had a cut in addition to the above. Equally deserving if not more.

It's easy, I bought a CCB and Chronomancer to run, and don't own any Lokhust. So they had to alter the points based on what I bought.

How do people feel about the DDA at 170?

I ran them pretty aggressively in 8th (forward deploy for screening, but then stay stationary) and found the output from the Gauss Flayer Arrays suprisingly strong.

With 1st turn often being something of a no-go in the shooting phase if you're playing with a bulk of scenery - it might work well to move up T1 into rapid fire range for T2.

I think that’s a pretty good strategy with them. The low power shooting isn’t awful with the blast rule.

The thing I like about them going up t1 is the road blocking of movement as well. With QS giving them trans human and the strat to get a 4++, they can be particularly annoying in match ups were the opponent lacks large amounts of anti armor. And then against things like Ad Mech, where there’s a lot of shooting to pop them easier, you can hide them back to limit lanes of travel.

The gun isn't reliable imo and needs to be stationary to shoot full power. I think it's the statline and abilities that has going for it, which in that case go for the Ghost Ark. It's cheaper and works well with Warriors Edited by Get Thokt

In my last few games the DDA and the LHD have been disappointing to say the least. though at these new points levels I think I maybe inclined to try 2x DDA in the future. The layer arrays help if we get tagged in combat, but one thing 9th seems to suggest is that number of shots is key. Which is why I have issues with the LHD, even throwing all the starts at them I have never reliably done any meaningful damage.

So Orks going to T5 seems to explain why the Annihilation Barge didn't receive a discount.

But Immortals did. That's a win-win in my book. That Tesla/Immortal combo will be seeing more time in my lists. I have a lot of Ork players I'd love to light up!

I think the Gauss with auto-wounding strat still does better than Tesla vs T5 Orks?

It'll be interesting to run the math comparing them. Actually maybe in this case, Tesla is superior

Rolling a Tesla 6 gives 3 wound rolls which you'll expect 1 or 2 to pass to Ork saves

Edited by Get Thokt

I think it’ll depend on save profile. Assuming they can’t get an invuln, I think Gauss reapers and blasters are better, auto wound strat and/or exploding 6s(blasters).

If they get an invuln, the Tesla may win out as the Gauss ap is irrelevant.

I think it’ll depend on save profile. Assuming they can’t get an invuln, I think Gauss reapers and blasters are better, auto wound strat and/or exploding 6s(blasters).

Tesla will be the way to go vs boys still for the most part. Invulnerable from BigMek, wazbombz and morkanaughts are easy to come by and pretty standard plus deathskulls get a natural one.

My brother plays necrons a lot and I main orks, tesla is the thing that kills all my boys. The 2 shots back on 6s mean you average full shots back. Full tesla annihilation barges do good work thinning the horde and then stalling it in CC for a round or so.

Edited by Brother Sergeant Tiberius

Tesla will be the way to go vs boys still for the most part. Invulnerable from BigMek, wazbombz and morkanaughts are easy to come by and pretty standard plus deathskulls get a natural one.

My brother plays necrons a lot and I main orks, tesla is the thing that kills all my boys. The 2 shots back on 6s mean you average full shots back. Full tesla annihilation barges do good work thinning the horde and then stalling it in CC for a round or so.

Well for the points why not? I’ve not been a big fan of immortals at all in 9 th. This makes them at least a fluffy,if not entirely competitive option now.

I think the Gauss with auto-wounding strat still does better than Tesla vs T5 Orks?

It'll be interesting to run the math comparing them. Actually maybe in this case, Tesla is superior

Rolling a Tesla 6 gives 3 wound rolls which you'll expect 1 or 2 to pass to Ork saves

All maths is done assuming Gauss is double tapping. If Tesla is in range but Gauss is out of Rapid Fire then Tesla should always outperform the Gauss.

10 Immortals, MWBD vs Orks (T5/6+).

Tesla: 9.72 wounds

Gauss: 8.33 wounds

Gauss (Auto Wound): 10 wounds

Gauss (Extra 6's): 10 wounds

Gauss (Both Strats): 13.3 wounds

The maths skews more in favour towards Gauss if the Orcs have light cover (dropping Tesla to 7.78 wounds), but otherwise Tesla outperforms/ties unless you spend 2CP.

10 Immortals, MWBD vs Orks  with Kustom Forcefield or similar (T5/5++).

Tesla: 7.78 wounds

Gauss: 5.56 wounds

Gauss (Auto Wound): 6.67 wounds

Gauss (Extra 6's): 6.67 wounds

Gauss (Both Strats): 8.89 wounds

Tesla is more efficient here, unless you spend 2CP.

If I wanted Immortals, I'd be tempted to run a squad of both Tesla and Gauss since you can only use each Gauss strat once per phase - however if your meta is pure Orks/horde then Tesla is the way to go. The Telsa strat should work well against Orks too.

Edited by dreadmad

Since my meta doesn't have a lot of Orks, unless a bunch of people jump on the green bandwagon, I'll probably wind up with 2x 5 man gauss blaster squads and 1 5 man tesla squad in the end. Probably will have Tesla Tomblades as well. Gives me options for hordes, but since there are a lot of SM players the gauss tends to be better there.

Very nice maths dreadmad. The 2pt drop in Tesla is great for giving immortals a real choice of weapons again.

Tomb Blades is an interesting choice. I personally think particle beamer is a better choice then tesla on them. They’re cheaper and I believe they statistically land more shots due to the higher number of overall shots.

Very nice maths dreadmad. The 2pt drop in Tesla is great for giving immortals a real choice of weapons again.

Tomb Blades is an interesting choice. I personally think particle beamer is a better choice then tesla on them. They’re cheaper and I believe they statistically land more shots due to the higher number of overall shots.

I think it makes them worth considering for sure, which is great because Tesla is loads of fun. It's not going to be as good as the exploding on 4+ days running Sautekh - but it's still pretty good.

Particle Beamers are the same as Tesla (when hitting on 3's), slightly better if you MWBD (5 hits vs 4.67 average from Tesla) but slightly worse if you're at -1 to hit (3 hits vs 3.33 from Tesla). However, Tesla has greater variance (which can be good AND bad) but also has an extra 6" range - which is hard to argue it's worth the 5pts premium you pay on a mobile unit.

Honestly a bare bones unit of Tomb Blades with Particle Beamers and some Chronomancer support might be worth running - 9 2W models with T5 4+/5++ takes some shifting if you also have other threats that need to be killed (e.g. a Sword/Board Lychguard unit and a Warrior Blob that are both sat on an Objective) - and that's 225pts (plus the 80pts character you want to run many of anyway).