Night lords terror assault 2k

Donnodouglas

Long time lurker and list hammerer but I’ve finally purchased most of the following;

++ Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2,000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Mortificator [495pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot, Refractor Field

. Chainsword or Combat Blade: Chainswords/Combat Blades

. Consul

. . Mortificator

. . . Contemptor Dreadnoughts

. . . . Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Twin-linked Autocannon

. . . . . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Plasma Blaster

. . . . Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Twin-linked Autocannon

. . . . . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Plasma Blaster

Praetor, Legion [210pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Jump Pack, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Melta Bombs, Paragon Blade, Trophies of Judgement, Warlord

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought [185pts]: Twin-linked Lascannon x 2

+ Troops +

Night Raptor Squad , Compulsory [270pts]: 9x Night Raptor, 3x Nostraman Chainglaive, 2x Power Axe

. Huntmaster: Artificer Armour, Headsman's Axe, Trophies of Judgement

Terror Squad (Compulsory) [260pts]: 9x Executioner, 10x Volkite Charger

. Headsman: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Power Fist

+ Heavy Support +

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon [320pts]

. Leviathan Siege Dreadnought: Cyclonic Melta Lance, Phosphex Discharger, Twin-linked Volkite Caliver, Twin-linked Volkite Caliver

. . Leviathan Siege Drill

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance: VIII: Night Lords, Traitor

Rite of War: Terror Assault

Idea being the mortifactor with dread buddies support the terror squads, praetor and raptors do praetor and raptor things with the Mortis hanging back and the leviathan puts pressure where it’s needed

Any c&c are more than welcome

This will look great on the tabletop. I love that it’s all infantry and Dreadnoughts (and jump infantry of course).

I think it would be even cooler if the two terror squads were not exact carbon copies, it will make better stories if the two are rivals. Maybe just make them visually distinct, but if they are infiltrating and in combat soon, are they getting their points back on all those volkites? Or maybe just sergeant equipment? Similarly, might be more fun to paint switching Dreadnought equipment on one contemptor, even though dual auto cannons and plasma is a good combination.

I guess meeting an enemy running a lot of heavy armour could be a concern, what’s the plan there?

In my red book the rite of war doesn’t seem to allow raptors as troops - was that a black book update?

This will look great on the tabletop. I love that it’s all infantry and Dreadnoughts (and jump infantry of course).

I think it would be even cooler if the two terror squads were not exact carbon copies, it will make better stories if the two are rivals. Maybe just make them visually distinct, but if they are infiltrating and in combat soon, are they getting their points back on all those volkites? Or maybe just sergeant equipment? Similarly, might be more fun to paint switching Dreadnought equipment on one contemptor, even though dual auto cannons and plasma is a good combination.

I guess meeting an enemy running a lot of heavy armour could be a concern, what’s the plan there?

In my red book the rite of war doesn’t seem to allow raptors as troops - was that a black book update?

I was tossing up arming one with rotor cannons for the rule of cool as I think they could still do some damage against standard infantry, noting terror squads have preferred enemy infantry. Maybe swap a fist for a chain glance as well. I was tossing up arming a dread with multi melta and chain fist and the other dual fists with plasma blasters but would have to re arrange the points.

Plan for heavy armour is cross some fingers and hope that between the 4 dreads they can either glance it to death with lascannon/melta lance shots or advance up and punch it to death.

Edited by Donnodouglas

My suggestions are as follows:

- I like incorporating Mortificator to offset Rite's inherent flaws, but is it really an effective loadout? I get it, you can in theory tackle tanks and dreads but only barely, you can shoot infantry but cannons are hardly useful in that matter. It’s alright at killing Rhinos I guess but it’s also quite expensive at that. I would be thinking of either:

a.) taking Cortuses instead and dropping plasma blasters – a huge price discount (120 pts) , and similar (weak) effects with autocannons , alternatively grav - cannons as they don’t need BS5 to be effective.

b.) staying with regular Contemptor but emphasizing infantry killing with second blaster or assault cannon, still could hurt light vehicles but would be more infantry-oriented – unlike puny autocannons, Kheres slaughters infantry, has a good chance of killing a TEQ or 2 MEQs and is way more effective against AV13 (and it can also penetrate, not only glance)

- Unless it’s some aesthetic reason, I’d consider replacing Contemptor Mortis with a Boxnought Mortis, same loadout, same firepower, 30 pts less. Find him some cover and you only lose out on AV13, and dare I say that Mortis will not be a priority target with twin Contemptors and Lev roaming around.

Thanks for the advice, I’m almost tempted at the lower points level to run 3 cortus, 2 multi meltas/fist and a dual fist with barebones mortifactor or just a talon of 3 with double fists and grav. I’ve already purchased 3 nightlords contemptor chassis so I’m pretty much locked in. I’ll add a praevian with 4 castellax with dark fire lances and another raptor squad for 3000 points Edited by Donnodouglas

Interesting idea, I like both consuls individually but I don't think I've seen a combo of Mortificator and Praevian in one game! One thing that would worry me is lack of fast attack choices, you try to take quite a lot of anti-tank firepower but it's all almost useless against enemy backfield campers that outrange most of your dreads. Darkfires can help with 60" range but they won't do much against artillery behind cover. And with only few troop choices you can't really afford to let it happen. Unless you're adamant on not bringing along regular vehicles I think some fast attack could help - attack bikes, speeders, flyers even, sabre tanks etc... they can go a long way outflanking and outmaneuvering enemy armour.

And if I were you, I'd at least consider adding just a bit more infantry at 3'000 (maybe instead of 4th castellax...) - Night Raptors are always a great addition but some cheap tactical squad or implacable advance seekers/termis/veterans can prove to be useful (and maybe offer some anti-infantry firepower?). 

Oh, and one last thing. Deadliest unit on the field is "only" 10 men, 3+, no FnP and happens to have a warlord is inside... You don't have a lot of infantry so enemy fire is bound to concentrate on them. No need to change anything, just be mindful of that. An apothecary could help though.

Thanks heaps for the c&c, really appreciate it.

I originally had 4 sabres with neutron blasters in the 3000 point expansion but decided to run a walker/infantry build instead to try it out. There’s scope to play around with what’s actually in the 3000 point list but I’ll have to get some games in to see what I’m really lacking. I agree tho I don’t have any 2+ infantry, no terminators and no javelins which seem to be the go to outflank support.

So updated the 2000 point list - dropped the mortifactor as the cortus loose fleet and stay together as a unit, which seems like an easier target for anti vehicle fire. However it allows me to bring a 3rd cortus and give them all grav which I acknowledge is short range however I’m banking on night fighting and good placement to fleet up turn one.

++ Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2,000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Praetor, Legion [210pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Jump Pack, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Melta Bombs, Paragon Blade, Trophies of Judgement, Warlord

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon [495pts]

. Cortus Dreadnought

. . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Graviton Gun

. Cortus Dreadnought

. Cortus Dreadnought

+ Troops +

Night Raptor Squad , Compulsory [270pts]: 9x Night Raptor, 3x Nostraman Chainglaive, 2x Power Axe

+ Heavy Support +

. Leviathan Siege Dreadnought: Cyclonic Melta Lance, Phosphex Discharger, Twin-linked Volkite Caliver, Twin-linked Volkite Caliver

At 3000 the current planned expansion is

++ Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [3,000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Praevian [740pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Combi-weapon, Headsman's Axe, On Foot, Refractor Field

. Consul

. . Praevian

. . . Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple: Enhanced Targeting Arrays, Support Unit

. . . . Castellax class Battle-automata: 2x Bolter, Darkfire Cannon, Two Power Blades

. . . . Castellax class Battle-automata: 2x Bolter, Darkfire Cannon, Two Power Blades

. . . . Legion Inductees: Scout

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon [495pts]

. Cortus Dreadnought

. Cortus Dreadnought

. Cortus Dreadnought

+ Troops +

+ Heavy Support +

+ Allegiance +

May seem counter intuitive, but I actually want the castellax to advance up and go for praetor/terminator units as I think power blades and dark lances should work well. Unless there’s a dark angels greatsword near by. Could drop 2 castellax for 3 apothecary’s in artificer armour for the terror squads, bump the raptors to 15 and then maybe squish a primus medicae in.

Follow up question, if anyone knows the answer, can a praevian and 3 cybernetica ride a dreadclaw

No. Only Infantry can board transports unless specifically stated otherwise. Castellax and Vorax are Monstrous Creatures. The only listed exceptions for the Dreadclaw are Dreadnoughts.