Which Horus Heresy short stories are not now in anthologies?

I have a feeling, and I may be proved wrong on this, that there were 2 Novella series published by Black Library - each contained 10 (?) novellas, spanning 40k / HH / AoS / Necromunda / BB (?). In the first series there were 'Spear of Ultramar' by David Annandale and 'Dreadwing' by David Guymer.

I can't speak for the Christmas collections, and I know there are some I don't think I've seen / read yet. Most others were compiled towards the back end of the main Heresy series.

So in my boredom I actually went through them all, as much as Lexicanum lists anyway.

Shorts:

Inheritor

Restorer

A Lesson In Iron

Atonement of Fire

Champion of Oaths

Child of Chaos

Massacre

Two Metaphysical Blades

Prologue to Nikea

Old Wounds New Scars

Abyssal

Last Council

A Rose Watered With Blood

Bringer of Sorrow

Lanterns Light

Serpents Dance

The Lightning Hall

Also the following audios haven’t been put into prose format on paper:

Blackshields: The Broken Chain

Blackshields: The Red Fief

Blackshields: The False War

Nightfane

Hubris of Monarchia

Get the feeling there won’t be any more releases either. Quite a lot of them I haven’t read either. Think you can still buy some of them on Black Library. Be my next task to go through I guess!

Massacre and Inheritor are in Eye of Terra, #35.

Most of the shorts not collected are technically Primarchs-branded stuff. They may be included in another xx of the Emperor anthology, though they haven't done that with the third (and second?) anymore. No idea how they're going to handle these stories at this point.

There's also Embers of Extinction, a Malcador pre-Siege audio drama, and audios for Perturabo, Curze, a Guilliman-races-to-Terra audio focusing on his past victory over Illyrium as told by his foster mother, and a a Magnus audio that ties into his Primarchs novel as well as post-Crimson King/pre-Siege stuff (although I think the Siege novella didn't really do anything significant with it). Oh, and a Shadow Crusade drama with Lorgar realizing that people actually worship the Emperor now, right in Roboute's realm.

Heck, there's also been at least one story (about Malcador) printed in WD, which hasn't been released elsewhere yet.

I believe in total the following (not counting anything available in Primarch anthologies, nor Siege novellas):

1. The Honoured (Sanders) [novella]
  2. The Unburdened (Annandale) [novella]
  3. Spear of Ultramar (Annandale) [novella]
  4. Dreadwing (Guymer) [novella]
  5. Restorer (Wraight)
  6. Blackshields: The False War (J. Reynolds)
  7. Blackshields: The Red Fief (J. Reynolds)
  8. Blackshields: The Broken Chain (J. Reynolds)
  9. The Atonement of Fire (Annandale)
  10. Hubris of Monarchia (Smillie)
  11. Grandfather's Gift (Haley)
  12. A Lesson in Iron (Guymer)
  13. Stone and Iron (MacNiven)
  14. Malcador: First Lord of the Imperium (Goulding)
  15. Konrad Curze: A Lesson in Darkness (St. Martin)
  16. Two Metaphysical Blades (Wraight)
  17. Prologue to Nikaea (Annandale)
  18. Nightfane (Kyme)
  19. Child of Chaos (Wraight)
  20. Champion of Oaths (French)
  21. Old Wounds, New Scars (McNeill)
  22. Abyssal (Annandale)
  23. The Last Council (Goulding)
  24. A Rose Watered With Blood (Dembski-Bowden)
  25. Bringer of Sorrow (Dembski-Bowden)
  26. Lantern's Light (Swallow)
  27. Ghost of Nuceria (St. Martin)
  28. Illyrium (Hinks)
  29. The Revelation of the Word (Annandale)
  30. Morningstar (McNeill)
  31. The Serpent's Dance (Brooks)
  32. Embers of Extinction (Easton)
  33. The Lightning Hall (McNeill)

Like many folks on here I am sure, I started reading the Horus Heresy when it very first came out and although I have nothing against e-books or audio dramas I would like to complete the series in the same format (mass market paperback) in which it begun. As GW have dabbled with different formats over the years I have picked up various formats (although a fair few of of these are novellas) and this has mostly been out of frustration from having to wait so long for the mass market paperbacks. I have all the Siege of Terra books in hardback now because I just got fed up waiting! Personally I wouldn't mind at all if they released a couple more volumes of 'The Scripts' to tie up all the audio dramas but the trend seemed to be to release the audio dramas as short stories in anthologies and I would be equally happy with that. And of course I would like to see all those shorts released as eBook Christmas collections in print as well.

This is amazing though , I signed up for this forum literally to discuss this. Don't get me wrong I have lurked about here and have enjoyed reading threads for years but never felt it was necessary to register. I have been growing concerned that we may never see some of these short stories in print and came here spreadsheet ready to start the discussion but here it is already happening which is bloody brilliant. Having cast my eye over the previous posts the only thing I can add is that 'The Sins of the Father' is not listed anywhere and I guess that is because it was collected in 'Born of Rage'. For me that isn't a HH release so I would like to see it anthologized somewhere too. I bought Abnett's 'Lord of the Dark Millenium' so that I could read 'Born to Us' which was the only Eisenhorn/Ravenor short I did not have in print anywhere but this goes against the grain and I still hold out hope that it will end up in a series specific release in years to come. I would definitely prefer to have a HH release that includes 'Sins of the Father' rather than another random 40k book. The fact that they now seem to be happily releasing Primarch anthologies all the while they have so many other short stories that aren't in print makes me wonder when/if GW are ever going to bother with them.

So no one has heard any rumors about any of this stuff being released then?

Edited by Bowders

"Sins of the Father" is in the Eye of Terra anthology: https://www.blacklibrary.com/the-horus-heresy/novels/eye-of-terra-ebook.html

As someone who wants to have the full collection on my shelf one day, I'm also concerned about the collection of these shorts seemingly trailing off. "Everything in print" seemed like a clear goal for a long time, but now feels like it's falling by the wayside when, honestly, two or three more books could do it.

EDIT: An example suggestion to illustrate it (room for debate on exact divisions, but you get the idea):

• 1 more "general" anthology collection: Dreadwing, Prologue to Nikaea, The Serpent's Dance, Nightfane, Hubris of Monarchia, Champion of Oaths, Abyssal, A Rose Watered With Blood, Bringer of Sorrow, The Lightning Hall, The Revelation of the Word, 3 x Blackshields shorts. 1 novella + 13 shorts.
  • 1 Primarchs anthology: Grandfather's Gift, A Lesson in Iron, A Lesson in Darkness, Embers of Extinction, Stone and Iron, Malcador: First Lord of the Imperium, Morningstar, Illyrium, Ghost of Nuceria, Lantern's Light. 10 shorts, could add more if they release more, though the series is nearing its end.
  • 1 Siege anthology: Spear of Ultramar, The Atonement of Fire, Child of Chaos, Restorer, Two Metaphysical Blades, Old Wounds New Scars, The Last Council. 1 novella + 6 shorts, room in case there are another handful before the Siege wraps up.
Edited by Tymell

"Sins of the Father" is in the Eye of Terra anthology: https://www.blacklibrary.com/the-horus-heresy/novels/eye-of-terra-ebook.html

As someone who wants to have the full collection on my shelf one day, I'm also concerned about the collection of these shorts seemingly trailing off. "Everything in print" seemed like a clear goal for a long time, but now feels like it's falling by the wayside when, honestly, two or three more books could do it.

EDIT: An example suggestion to illustrate it (room for debate on exact divisions, but you get the idea):

• 1 more "general" anthology collection: Dreadwing, Prologue to Nikaea, The Serpent's Dance, Nightfane, Hubris of Monarchia, Champion of Oaths, Abyssal, A Rose Watered With Blood, Bringer of Sorrow, The Lightning Hall, The Revelation of the Word, 3 x Blackshields shorts. 1 novella + 13 shorts.
  • 1 Primarchs anthology: Grandfather's Gift, A Lesson in Iron, A Lesson in Darkness, Embers of Extinction, Stone and Iron, Malcador: First Lord of the Imperium, Morningstar, Illyrium, Ghost of Nuceria, Lantern's Light. 10 shorts, could add more if they release more, though the series is nearing its end.
  • 1 Siege anthology: Spear of Ultramar, The Atonement of Fire, Child of Chaos, Restorer, Two Metaphysical Blades, Old Wounds New Scars, The Last Council. 1 novella + 6 shorts, room in case there are another handful before the Siege wraps up.

Alternatively, we'd have enough material for an Ultramarines/Word Bearers themed anthology by way of Betrayal at Calth + Hubris of Monarchia, The Revelation of the Word, Spear of Macragge and Illyrium, maybe even Child of Chaos.

I think the Primarchs short story series in general is a big mistake. Some stories actually are focused on Primarchs, which get the green light from me - but the bulk of even those would've fit better into the HH series proper. Nevermind that we got a Primarchs Malcador drama....

Like, why is Embers of Extinction a Primarchs story when it is quite simply a post-Crimson Fist, pre-Angel Exterminatus short? It's a bad story that misunderstands the Primarch dreadfully, but it just has no reason to be coupled out as Primarchs-branded. The Revelation of the Word and Illyrium both tie into the Shadow Crusade and the rush for Terra via Ruinstorm/Spear of Macragge.

It's just so bloody arbitrary where they put which story.

• 2 weeks later...

So seems that some of them like Champion of Oaths and Child of Chaos were only ever in the BL Event Anthology books. Have they never been released digitally then?

Going to struggle to ever read them if that’s the case :/

Child of Chaos was published separately: https://www.blacklibrary.com/the-horus-heresy/quick-reads/child-of-chaos-eshort-2020.html

• 6 months later...

I believe in total the following (not counting anything available in Primarch anthologies, nor Siege novellas):

1. The Honoured (Sanders) [novella]
  2. The Unburdened (Annandale) [novella]
  3. Spear of Ultramar (Annandale) [novella]
  4. Dreadwing (Guymer) [novella]
  5. Restorer (Wraight)
  6. Blackshields: The False War (J. Reynolds)
  7. Blackshields: The Red Fief (J. Reynolds)
  8. Blackshields: The Broken Chain (J. Reynolds)
  9. The Atonement of Fire (Annandale)
  10. Hubris of Monarchia (Smillie)
  11. Grandfather's Gift (Haley)
  12. A Lesson in Iron (Guymer)
  13. Stone and Iron (MacNiven)
  14. Malcador: First Lord of the Imperium (Goulding)
  15. Konrad Curze: A Lesson in Darkness (St. Martin)
  16. Two Metaphysical Blades (Wraight)
  17. Prologue to Nikaea (Annandale)
  18. Nightfane (Kyme)
  19. Child of Chaos (Wraight)
  20. Champion of Oaths (French)
  21. Old Wounds, New Scars (McNeill)
  22. Abyssal (Annandale)
  23. The Last Council (Goulding)
  24. A Rose Watered With Blood (Dembski-Bowden)
  25. Bringer of Sorrow (Dembski-Bowden)
  26. Lantern's Light (Swallow)
  27. Ghost of Nuceria (St. Martin)
  28. Illyrium (Hinks)
  29. The Revelation of the Word (Annandale)
  30. Morningstar (McNeill)
  31. The Serpent's Dance (Brooks)
  32. Embers of Extinction (Easton)
  33. The Lightning Hall (McNeill)

Edited by animal310

Edit For some reason I can't separate the above from the additional text, I have added the following,

Another three to add to the list 

34. Eater of Dreams (Collins)

35. Bloodhowl (Forrester)

36. Amor Fati (Haspil)

I've actually being going through a few of the list recently for the first time. Most have been average but A Rose Watered with Blood was stand out excellent for me. Embers of Extinction was honesty atrocious, everything about it. 

Edited by animal310