This is something that begun as something small where I needed a Chapter that did not really have anything really written about them for interaction with an fully fanmade Chapter for a fic in the work, and it snowballed into something bigger than just some notes, so I decided to post what have jutted down for others to comment. The base for my fanlore is the von Kaus family from the adventure Scenic Dunnsmouth to Lamentations of the Flame Princess because their coat-of-arm is a Pegasus and there existed a name-and-little-more Chapter called Black Pegasi. Since one of the plot points of Scenic Dunnsmouth involves time problems should I ad some kind of time-based problems for them or have them interacting with Ordo Chronos but I don’t have any idea how (beside making them Ordo Chronos de facto Chamber Militant but I don’t know if that’s a good idea).
Black Pegasi Chapter
+ an older Chapter; unknown geneseed origin or Founding, but the oldest known mention of them is from pre-6th Founding.
+ Symbol is a black Pegasus rampant on white (usually with a green frame), or on green and white.
+ Their armour has white as the main colour, the Aquila/Imperialis, the power pack, shoulder plate trim, both knee guards and both feet are green.
- horns or wing decorations on their helmets are common among higher officers
- green tabards, robes or kontusz are common
+ proud, honourable, and respectable, but their pride, honour and respectability is in many ways their armour since they have gone on bad times and maybe have some problem in their semi-near history; at the same time they are insular, secretive and conservative.
+ much of their technology/equipment is old and well maintained. Their ships are clean and somewhat lacking in ornamentation. Has a “we have not much but at least our home is clean and respectable” attitude. – lots of Mark 5 n 6 armour parts. At the same time there are parts of their fortress-monastery closed away because they are damaged and they have not the time/resources to repair them, so it’s a bit of question of showing a clean front (possibly just themselves since they don’t have many visitors) while there are problems that they hideaway.
- Possibly is part of the reason why they use much older equipment, instead of having it locked away for special situation, is that they have not gotten much new equipment (because of reasons) and are to prideful to ask around or for help.
+ lost lots of marines in the defence of their homeworld (and possibly in earlier incidents) and their rebuilding would probably go faster if they did not constantly send out marines because of old depts, word of honour, and calls for help. Their honour and pride demand that they send brothers to them all.
- Ordensmeister = Chapter-master
- Scriptor = Librarian
- Ordenspriester = chaplain
- Kompaniecaptain = captain
- Kompanien = company
- Kommandant = commander
- Fähnrich = Sergant
- Schiffsführer/Schiffsführerin = the chapter-serf who captains a void-ship
- blood-brother = battle-brother, from that they are brother that shed blood together
- knappe = squire
+ Name (they keep their old, pre-Astartes names): Herman, Heinrich, Dietyr, Ivanovik, Johann, Bernard, Klaus, Matthias, Frank, Erik, Adolph, Niklas, Lukas, Wolfgang, Jaeger, Ulric, Frederik, Otto, Grigori,
+ returning symbols (or possibly company markings)
- A black cock vigilant
- the Pegasus constellation
- the grim reaper
- the spade [as in the card symbol]
- armour area covered in a fusilly bendwise pattern, in argent and azure.
- a panthier rampant in blue – a "panthier" (pronounced as in French), is a mixture of a dragon and a lion.
- many of them have sideburns
- moustaches are not uncommon, many of them waxed and with upward pointing ends
+ suffer from a dark secret in their past, either is something long ago and only truly known to the masters of the chapter, or something that happened recent-ish (or is old but was unearthed recent-ish) and known to all who was there. In either case, those not in the know still feel a sense of guilt about something that their elders refuse to talk about and a sense of fear of being found out by others.
+ the home and recruitment world for the Black Pegasi
+ was notably damaged during a recent-ish attack on it, with tsunamis, rising oceans and damaged weather. Currently there is some weather problems with lots of rain, leading to many areas being covered in dead trees and other vegetation, killed off by water sickness. Lots of, relatively, new swampland, deltas, and lakes where there used to be forests, grassland or settlements. The planet has within the last two generations stabilized (more or less) so new swampland, lakes, or similar is not created or expanded constantly, but avalanches because of too much rain over is still common.
+ lots of swamps, wetlands, deltas and similar. Ruins of old structures can be seen sticking up from some shorelines or lakes.
+ Mostly Central European in feeling with some other areas, take a look at any of the cultures living near swampland all over Europe and in post-colonial but pre-20th-centery USA.
+ For inspiration: Universal and Hammer Horrors small European villages and towns
+ Names are Germanic or Slavic
- male example names: Herman, Heinrich, Dietyr, Ivanovik, Johann, Bernard, Klaus, Matthias, Frank, Erik, Adolph, Niklas, Lukas, Wolfgang, Jaeger, Ulric, Frederik, Otto, Grigori,
- female example names: Ludmilla, Maxine, Klara, Klaudia, Gertrude, Anastasia, Gunhild, Ulrica, Erika, Birgitta, Brunhilde, Dorothea, Maryla, Jadwiga, Brygida, Frederika,
A cold planet of mostly mountains and high plateaus, rising up from a cold, dark ocean.
Shows all signs of once being a cemetery world with much of the high plateaus, and parts of the other lands given over to cemeteries, graveyards, mausoleums and such. Catacombs honeycomb the near underground of most plateaus, with some of the catacombs going deep, deep into the ground.
Something happened that made people stop sending their dead there. All the official maps shows it as an restricted world and all the official sub-sector and sector papers have nothing on it before its classification as a restricted world.
Something have made the Black Pegasi to constantly keep at least ten marines on guard on the planet, maybe the same something that stopped people from sending their dead.
Spending time on the high plateaus or in the mountains invite nightmares, the natives live in the lowlands, but are still hunted by bad sleep.
Marines are as haunted by the nightmares as normal humans but their psycho-indoctrination and transhuman psycho-physiology makes them unaffected by it, at least for as long as their vigil last. Except for a few, who crack and go mad. Most of those madmen are either put down, or stripped of their armour and gear and let lose to live as mad hermits on the surface.
All who has been selected for a possible future as a Chaplain have to spend a vigil on DFD-002, to make certain that their psychic are as strong as needed.
The planet is of interest for Ordo Chrono for some reason and the Black Pegasi that stand watch send regular reports to the Ordo (or one of its members) – likely those reports go unread and unseen since the Ordo’s members all have (supposedly) vanished.
+ the natives have an overall technology of 19th century countryside, fragments of STC-technology can be found here and there.
- are armed with crossbows and backloaded one-shot guns.
- have biblical-ish names, ex. Ezekiel, Isaiah, Seth, Enoch, Enos, Irad, Kenan, Mehujael, Mahalalel, Methushael, Jared, Adah, Lamech, Zillah, Enoch, Jabal, Jubal, Tubal, Naamah, Methuselah, Lamech, Noah, Shem, Japheth, Iscah, Jecholiah, Merab, Atarah, Ham,
+ What is it that happened that made the planet restricted and forgotten?
* DFD-002 is inspiered by the Lamentations of the Flame Princess adventure Death Frost Doom since it had some of the elements that fit with was already established regarding the Black Pegasi
Edited by Gamiel, 27 May 2021 - 03:43 PM.