Veterans - chainswords or power swords?

ServoBadger

I'm missing widespread access to SIA so I'm going to build a few Intercessors as counts as Veterans with spare bolters from the Veterans kit.

Is it worth saving the few points and swapping out the power swords for chainswords? I kind of like the idea of 4A on the charge, even without the extra S and AP.

Considering just about 80% of my vets are armed with chainswords, I'll most likely be sticking with them. Though a force all wielding power swords could be pretty sweet looking.

Depends on points in my eyes, I think if running vanguard vets etc unless your looking for cheap bodies to trade pay for the power weapons but if you want a couple guys to be your first casualties, lack points or have allot of horde in your meta, then take chainswords.

Chainswords won’t really do enough vs anything that’s not going to die from either weight of attacks which you need to be able to generate or things with poor saves like daemons, dark eldar, orcs, etc, if you come up against deathguard, any marines, custodians or a more heavily armoured list like a meganob or battle suit army your chainswords will get you the wounds, they just won’t fail enough saves.

Depends on points in my eyes, I think if running vanguard vets etc unless your looking for cheap bodies to trade pay for the power weapons but if you want a couple guys to be your first casualties, lack points or have allot of horde in your meta, then take chainswords.

Chainswords won’t really do enough vs anything that’s not going to die from either weight of attacks which you need to be able to generate or things with poor saves like daemons, dark eldar, orcs, etc, if you come up against deathguard, any marines, custodians or a more heavily armoured list like a meganob or battle suit army your chainswords will get you the wounds, they just won’t fail enough saves.

I was thinking more about normal Veterans than Vanguard Veterans, I have a few of them (from the Death Masque box, no less) and they all have power swords.

With my other Veterans I've tended to go a bit overboard on the options, I'm looking at the chainswords and thinking that's the same cost as Intercessors but with +1A and +1 Ld, with SIA making up the difference in the guns.

Maybe?

I was thinking more about normal Veterans than Vanguard Veterans, I have a few of them (from the Death Masque box, no less) and they all have power swords.

With my other Veterans I've tended to go a bit overboard on the options, I'm looking at the chainswords and thinking that's the same cost as Intercessors but with +1A and +1 Ld, with SIA making up the difference in the guns.

Maybe?

if it’s just the rank and file and have no solid goal past the base marine I say go for the chainsword and save the points to use elsewhere, still consider giving Sargents a fist though to make them something to worry about.