New Codex Cover & 9th Ed Speculation/Rumours

Xenith

Doing a super deep dive on rule wording, it appears if your warlord is ahriman, you cannot get access to a great cult relic. To anyone.

Alternatively, If your warlord is magnus or a great cult character, there is no way for ahriman to gain access to his warlord trait (the CP strat to get an extra warlord trait does not work on characters).

Sneaky stuff. Kinda sucks but I geuss ahriman trait isnt a must have anymore.

Edited by Ahzek451

I think the thing I'm actually happiest with is the overall suite that 1kS have. I think they've finally nailed a format that works.

Cults, Psychic Powers, Cabals, and the Legion Traits feel like enough. Data sheets/points could use some work on a couple units but overall our bones have been fleshed out enough that I feel like we're probably there overall, just not 55+% win rate in the tournament field (I'm expecting 48-53 from the 40ish% we've sat at).

That said, it wouldn't take a lot to push us to top tier in the position we're in, but God I wish we got a sweep on Magnus.

So having watched plenty of battle reports on youtube yesterday and reading up on everything I can honestly say this book is very exciting!

While All is Dust hasn't changed in a D2 meta at the moment, I don't see this as a bad thing. We get 5++ Obsec and fearless for that extra point! But looking at the meta recently you got to remember we are now seeing a lot of horde style armies on the board or armies with a lot of infantry on one wound (Necrons, Drukhari, Admech) and do not forget that D1 weapons are great for dealing with the Deathguard. So AID isn't as helpful as before but I do not think it will be as bad as people make it out to be.

With Magnus I would have loved to see him have a -1 to hit built in to his rules (permanently glamoured) to give him a bit more survivability on T1 if you don't go first. Otherwise he is pretty good, sweep would be nice but then again he will clear units in the Pyshic phase anyway.

I pre-ordered the hexfire box which will take me to 15 Scarab's but looking at the rules for the icon changing I think I am going to need another 2 squads to get them all modelled up properly taking me to 50 Rubrics :smile.:

So now I am also pondering on getting a Mutalith and maybe a couple of Rhino's now that they have a 5++ for board control.

With the Tzaangors I can see them being a great little unit - take 2 and pop them into reserves and bring them on for Retrieving Data secondary and distraction unit.

Edited by Mordas

Indeed I took inventory last night and found a half finished chaos rhino (from my younger Black Legion days, lol) and some spare 1kson doors that I will put in the queue. Joyriding warpflamers has always been a dream of mine. Especially with that. warpflame spell. Some good screening potential also.

Was also getting bits together for a kitbashed Infernal Master.

Damn, I have bought a lot of rubric kits over the years and should be good regardless of loadout. Also bought a bunch of spare icons of flame on ebay years ago so I am set up for 5 man and/ or 10 man

flexibility. I am thinking one 10 man and 2 five man rubric squads though feel a lot potential for various MSUs or 10 mans of various loadouts. And I just realized our Aspiring and SO Sorcerers get full on smite instead of mini smite, more great news!

Edited by Skerr

I think rhinos will be a great way to get some rubrics up the board. The 5++ should keep them rolling long enough tpush them into a good spot and honestly if they feel they have to shoot your rhinos, you are coming out ahead...

Yeah, Invulnerable save on all vehicles including the Rhino (!!!!!!!); that is a hidden gem in this new codex. Very surprised to see the Rhino get invul save. That is both strong and cool. A hidden gem I think. Not what you rave and rant about (heh, maybe I am, lol), but so, so nice.

A lot of different ways to heal and regain wounds. One is a psychic power, a couple others are stratagems. But each one states that you can only heal once per turn. That being said, do others agree or disagree that magnus cannot heal himself twice in the same turn (one from a spell, another from a strat)?

As nice as invul saves on Forgeworld goodies and Rhinos are, I expect it to last exactly until the first time someone on the rules team plays a game against a Thousand Sons army with them. Should see an FAQ first thing the next day :rolleyes:

This lol

But hey..until then...might as well enjoy it!

I think I just discovered the most beat stick exalted sorcerer combat monster in the game. It required a lot of bouncing around so bear with me.

Exalted sorcerer.

Take: cult of mutation.

Relic: cult relic: +1 S, +1 T, +1 A

Cult warlord trait. 6's to hit is mortal wound.

Legion command: dilletante- one extra relic

Extra relic: stave abdominis- +3 S, -1 ap D1 make 2 attacks for every attack.

Cast swelled by the warp for +2 S and +1 A.

Your looking at an exalted sorc that does 14 attacks, S 10, -1ap, D1 and 6's to hit are mortal wounds in addition.

135 pts. 160 pts with disc

Cast temporal surge and move 24", charge something....

Damn!

Edited by Ahzek451

I think I just discovered the most beat stick exalted sorcerer combat monster in the game. It required a lot of bouncing around so bear with me.

Exalted sorcerer.

Your looking at an exalted sorc that does 14 attacks, S 10, -1ap, D1 and 6's to hit are mortal wounds in addition.

Damn!

I was told that exalted sorcs can't take the relic... Which is sad.

But what if we use a terminator sorc instead?

Edited by Wyzariel

Exalted sorcerer.

Damn!

Yeah I just saw that. So the dedicated relic for this cult is fixed to the sorcerer only. That's a really messed up limitation.

You can still swap it out for another useful relic and end up with 12 attacks.

Edited by Ahzek451

Exalted sorcerer.

Damn!

Yeah I just saw that. So the dedicated relic for this cult is fixed to the sorcerer only. That's a really messed up limitation.

You can still swap it out for another useful relic and end up with 12 attacks.

Maybe take the Conniving Plate to limit return strikes and give him a 2+? Or the relic disc to let him bounce around?

Just noticed this: Sorcerous Facade still works on Monsters. You can still yeet Vortex Beasts to the other side of the table and given how nasty they are now (and how likely to explode when killed), this could get hilarious real quick.

Good spot there. Hide it turn one. Then drop it like an A-bomb in the enemy deployment zone. Have fun fred.

Just noticed this: Sorcerous Facade still works on Monsters. You can still yeet Vortex Beasts to the other side of the table and given how nasty they are now (and how likely to explode when killed), this could get hilarious real quick.

Good spot there. Hide it turn one. Then drop it like an A-bomb in the enemy deployment zone. Have fun fred.

You could even use Glimpse of Eternity or Foretell the Future (from a second Prophecy detachment) or even Gaze of Fate from a summoned Daemon to make it extremely likely to blow up on death.

You could even use Glimpse of Eternity or Foretell the Future (from a second Prophecy detachment) or even Gaze of Fate from a summoned Daemon to make it extremely likely to blow up on death.

True, but mind he will teleport more than 9" away from things, so no 9" mortal wound to everyone, and assuming he failed his charge, the enemy will likely unload and kill it and not be in range of the explosion.

I'm sure it can work on many situations, the MVB can certainly be annoying if it it recovers d3 wounds and possibly another d3 from a spell. I'm on the fence with this thing.

Edited by Ahzek451

True, but mind he will teleport more than 9" away from things, so no 9" mortal wound yo everyone, and assuming he failed his charge, the enemy will likely unload and kill it and not be in range of the explosion.

I'm sure it can work on many situations, the maulerfiend can certainly be annoying if it it recovers d3 wounds and possibly another d3 from a spell. I'm on the fence with this thing.

Yeah, better to use the rerolls to guarantee the charge and chop some stuff up before exploding.

A lot of different ways to heal and regain wounds. One is a psychic power, a couple others are stratagems. But each one states that you can only heal once per turn. That being said, do others agree or disagree that magnus cannot heal himself twice in the same turn (one from a spell, another from a strat)?

The stratagem says “unmodified” roll of 9, so extremely situational/unreliable

I was thinking more, the strat where magnus can stand close to a MVB and sacrifice casting one of his powers to aborb d3. wounds. Technically 3 ways to heal, but can only do one of them per turn. 

Really driving me nuts, that our main heal spell cannot target vehicles, and essentially...no way for vehicles to heal at all for us. 

Yea that's a tough pill to swallow in 9th. 

I keep track of this stuff with my Necrons as well as my Chaos where both armies feature armies that have self healing vehicles. I don't know what cost they factor in when determining the points of a vehicle that can heal, but I would remove it if at all possible *unless it's free, because nowadays that damage spike in 9th doesn't give many things a real chance to use it, and even then it just doesn't really make a difference. Being able to heal additionally is almost essential.

I was thinking more, the strat where magnus can stand close to a MVB and sacrifice casting one of his powers to aborb d3. wounds. Technically 3 ways to heal, but can only do one of them per turn.

Really driving me nuts, that our main heal spell cannot target vehicles, and essentially...no way for vehicles to heal at all for us.

I wrote to GW faq email to ask clarification about the healing once per turn. I think RAI is “healed once per *for this stratagem/spell*”

Otherwise... its another huge nerf.....

I would love for that to be true, hopefully they faq it but I get the feeling they won't. I geuss I don't understand why they would word it that way. Without that line, the rules still limit everything to one use. You can't use a strat more than once per turn, or a blessing/maleditcion power once per turn(leaving out witchfire because we technically can do one twice). Which would mean that extra line at the end is redundant unless they meant to limit healing. Like a new rule trend, maybe GW is not liking things healing more than once. Who the hell knows.