New Codex Cover & 9th Ed Speculation/Rumours

Xenith

It will be clutch to see. Read a promising BR of sons vs DG were poster said army was a blast.

I copied and pasted how he healed and how it performed below. We'll find out if its legal. This was one of his highlights amongst others.

-3 scarabs remaining with one on 1 wound left, healing to full, casting a psypower at 9+ unmod, reviving a guy, then reviving a guy with cult of time for fullsize unit again

Edited by Skerr

It will be clutch to see. Read a promising BR of sons vs DG were poster said army was a blast.

I copied and pasted how he healed and how it performed below. We'll find out if its legal. This was one of his highlights amongst others.

-3 scarabs remaining with one on 1 wound left, healing to full, casting a psypower at 9+ unmod, reviving a guy, then reviving a guy with cult of time for fullsize unit again

With the current issue/questioning at hand, this seems perfectly legal and not quite the same issue as mentioned before. 

1. the command trait that let the wounded SoT simply lets it regain its wounds, and has no line in the rule about a limit. (which doesn't really matter as we move forward, see below)

2. the 9+ strat has 2 parts, one where it can heal a model and has the limit line: "can only heal once per turn". And the 2nd part that says "otherwise, revive a model" which still does not conflict with the first heal because it is not so much a heal, but a straight up revive. 

3. The cult of time is not a heal and it is a revive, which has no additional limit wording. 

So he basically revived twice, and healed once. Which, according to the wording seems legal. If something were to regain wounds(not models) twice, this would be illegal. According to the wordage.  

Edited by Ahzek451

Agreed with the above.

Personally this is similar to how it used to work, except the new command trait is nice (I think a large squad in this case might be best but whatever suits your build type).

Cult of Time was my go to previous to this codex. I have to admit it was kind of cruddy to hear how they nerfed the power at first. I was just very accustomed to getting some real good mileage out of that power, but I will probably revisit this again as I just love the Scarabs above all else in my list.

Has anyone found anything at all that the +6" range to spell effects is applicable to yet?

Do you mean Imbued Manifestation from the Cabalistic Ritual?

I read it that you add 6” to the range of powers that have a range. I.e. Doombolt selects the closest enemy within 24”, or Presage is select one friendly TS unit within 24”, instead of the 18” rnage both normal have.

Edited by Trokair

Agreed with the above.

Great and thanks for clarity. Until I get the book in my hand I do skim over some lengthy posts.

Now that my gaming scene has evolved from buddies a couple times a year to a couple times a month at a local shop I need to pay more attention to the nuances in the posts here. Thanks all.

I would love for that to be true, hopefully they faq it but I get the feeling they won't. I geuss I don't understand why they would word it that way. Without that line, the rules still limit everything to one use. You can't use a strat more than once per turn, or a blessing/maleditcion power once per turn(leaving out witchfire because we technically can do one twice). Which would mean that extra line at the end is redundant unless they meant to limit healing. Like a new rule trend, maybe GW is not liking things healing more than once. Who the hell knows.

Good point good point

Has anyone found anything at all that the +6" range to spell effects is applicable to yet?

Do you mean Imbued Manifestation from the Cabalistic Ritual?

I read it that you add 6” to the range of powers that have a range. I.e. Doombolt selects the closest enemy within 24”, or Presage is select one friendly TS unit within 24”, instead of the 18” rnage both normal have.

So it's literally just a +6" to the range of a power? When I saw it I was hoping there might be some kinf of AoE power that wpuld then get a boost. 

I think extra range will be decent, a nice backup trick to have in your pocket for when the time is right. A bit extra range to sneak in a power without compromising your position. Nothing to write to Tzeentch about, but I can see it doing yeoman's work towards victory as other events steal the headlines :smile.:

I have used Cult of Time a lot, maybe exclusively if I remember right, and I expect to have it as my main with the new codex too. The other cults do sound improved so I will likely try them out too, but the ability to bring back models is too fluffy and fun to pass up easily. Plus it'll be rather tasty on SOT of course!

Time is still my favorite as well. As mentioned above, I would love to see how effective it would be to run into situations mentioned above and, essentially do a better job at bringing Multiwound models back better than necrons (ouch that's got to hurt). Duplicity still barks at me, but I would like to see how much I can get away with just using the crystal. 

Duplicity is so great for the objective game. Deep strike on an objective, use a psychic action to corrupt an objective, then immediately teleport away. Wow. 

Time is still my favorite as well. As mentioned above, I would love to see how effective it would be to run into situations mentioned above and, essentially do a better job at bringing Multiwound models back better than necrons (ouch that's got to hurt). Duplicity still barks at me, but I would like to see how much I can get away with just using the crystal. 

Duplicity is so great for the objective game. Deep strike on an objective, use a psychic action to corrupt an objective, then immediately teleport away. Wow. 

The redeploy Warlord Trait is awesome too. The relic, not so much, but that's OK.

As for Xenith's question, there's a relic (The Prism of Echoes) that doubles the range of the effects of Blessings from that character. Chuck it on a Rehati on a Disc and have him fly around and pump everyone up as needed.

I am doing CoT one time this week... for old time's sake. It's funny to me how many of us are saying that was our favorite when all through 9th all I heard was Duplicity wins tournaments.

That said I often used Duplicity in a battalion with Dreads and teleported them up field. This doesn't work anymore.

Then my Patrol would heal D3 SoT's back a turn, with perhaps a bonus from the 9+ Cast strat/heal. This doesn't (quite) work anymore.

The funny thing is the balance is on a fine wire here. Yes, Scarab Occult got far more valuable. Better close combat, better strats, being Obsec. This is all great, but in my somewhat limited games so far I think unless you take 15 CoT (which I am) I don't know if Time is your best option. 

This might just be me, but I've always been an infantry based player over tanks and this edition is just so much higher in damage that I think our greatest increase of it actually comes from Smite being normal value.

I'm still very excited about Cult of Knowledge. I don't think it's going to be a big one in the long run, but it feels 'new' to me so maybe it'll just wear off. lol

I saw a good question elsewhere.

If you put any Aspiring Sorcerers, or any Sorcerer for that matter, in a rhino do they not add to Cabal Points unless disembarked.

I guess it makes sense. A lone AS in a rhino trying to "Cabal" with others while in a transport and everyone

else outside seems not logical I suppose.

Edited by Skerr

If you put any Aspiring Sorcerers, or any Sorcerer for that matter, in a rhino do they not add to Cabal Points unless disembarked.

I guess it makes sense. A lone AS in a rhino trying to "Cabal" with others while in a transport and everyone

all it says is "on the battlefield". And, I could be wrong, but models in transports still count as being on the battlefield in 9th?

I’m leaning towards a patrol detachment of rubrics using duplicity. There’s good options for deploying units of flamers for early strikes, corrupting objectives and then moving to backfield objectives etc. then add in a rhino or two with combi meltas. As for the 15 Scarab Occult running them as either Time or Scheming. Scheming looks very tempting since the rubrics are going to be easily outnumbered on objectives. Being able to fall back and shoot and charge with the new stats is so tempting too. Plus a free stratagem to guarantee success should reward clever play. 

it’s basically a 2nd Ed list prior to the Ahriman lore addition. 

Speaking of Warpflamers....or rather the Heavy variety.....running a 5 man unit of SOT with one Heavy Warpflamer could be interesting for deep striking and  troubleshooting or grabbing objectives, especially if you use Aspiring Magister and give the SOT Sorcerer the Incandaeum staff, which also functions as a Heavy Warpflamer. Two in a small squad like that could have legs.

Fluff wise psykers can use psykic energy in a vehicle. There are multiple examples of that in the novels.

Heavy warpflamers on SoT feels like a dud.

Its no better than a spell-buffed light warpflamer, cant be put in vast numbers, and gives up 2 inferno bolter worth to take rather than 1. (and on a platform that can full dakka on any range even when moving.)

Its no better than a spell-buffed light warpflamer, cant be put in vast numbers, and gives up 2 inferno bolter worth to take rather than 1. (and on a platform that can full dakka on any range even when moving.)

Totally agree. They needed to buff this weapon a bit to make it worthwhile. The Soulreaper is just solid. Nothing amazing, but solid.

Totally agree. They needed to buff this weapon a bit to make it worthwhile. The Soulreaper is just solid. Nothing amazing, but solid.

I'm shocked it didnt get an extra point of AP. The difference between a flamer and heavy flamer is +1 S and AP. Yet...ours is just the +1 S. Wth?