New Codex Cover & 9th Ed Speculation/Rumours

Xenith

Interesting tidbits. Wonder what spot he will take, maybe elites? Pretty cool that he will still have access to psych though for balance he might have limits compared to Exalted Sorcerers? Maybe dedicated psychic characters will get something further to distinct them or Infernal Master do not get access to Cult spells. I think we were all hoping for something robust and viable for summoning and this is promising.

So is expanded spell list!

Edited by WarriorFish
Double post merge corrected

The easy guess is 6" extra range or Smite buff, but while effective, a little too boring to sound like it's Mono bonus.

This guy praising the mono bonus for being more interactive and interesting than the Death Guard and Drukhari ones is a pretty good indicator that it's very unique and fun,

Interactive? I gotta say this is extremely weird to hear. The Psychic phase itself is an exceptionally, almost exclusively, non-interactive phase. At best you're rolling for a deny on the other side of the table.

Interactive is the last word I'd ever anticipate in association with an psychic army bonus. 

That being said, it would have to be something like:

- I cast a power, something directly needs you to take an action. IE. Leadership pass or take a mortal wound. 

- You cast a power, I gain +1 to my next test on my turn.

Something like that to me would be 'interactive'.

Maelific malestrom says thousand sons unit......so anything will get a +1 strength AWESOME! IF hades autocannons get a boost and remain strength 8, this will be fantastic. In general this will be likely a popular choice. Heard boys are going to toughness 5 now....well right back to square 1 with this ability heh. 

Interesting tidbits. Wonder what spot he will take, maybe elites? 

Unless something changes, he is listed as an HQ on the points update. 

Missed that, thanks.

The pacts do appear to be ways to buff your units which is something I have wanted for years. My ideas were more limited to Aspiring and Scarab Occult Sorcerers buffing their units each turn as needed.

The capering imps seems situational though maybe peeps here can tell me how likely it might be used? In the example with the Salamders I suppose flamers are autohits in overwatch if one chooses to buy the strat? In this case they could not OW or would decide not to spend the CP to do so?

I have just recently started playing again after 2-3 years so not sure. If it has its uses then cool as long as the majority are not niche.

The Malefic Maelstrom will get a lots more milage and hoping we get a few more that have this kind of practicality.

The preview says the pacts are for killing, confusing or enhancing. Each Master can know 2 of the 6. Sounds awesome actually!

Thoughts?

Edited by Skerr

That Maelific Maelstrom is going to be HUGE.

I mean it fits every situation for helping out one of our biggest issues... shooting effectively against shooting armies. 

Lots of enemy tanks? Maelstrom the Decimator Butchers, or Forgefiends.

Lots of New T5 Orks? Maelstrom the Rubrics.

This could be cool even with the Flamer Rubrics... auto hitting S5 flamers + Vets of the Long War at AP-2. Tasty.

It's for the full battle round basically so...having those Flamer Rubrics as a defense line for would be assaulting armies could be even better. 

Heck I'd even consider the buff on a Baledrake depending on the situation (you could put a nice auto hitting dent in a vehicle, or other flyer.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++

On the model. Just my take, but his right arm is a little awkward to me. The pose is great overall, I just think I prefer the flowy illusion of movement rather than a "Ta-da!" kind of pose. 

I understand why they went so big on the base and the accessorizing of the pose with the warp stuff and imps... Basically the Exalted Sorc box is amazing. I've bought 3 of them over the years and keep adding to stuff like even my Chaos Knights were accessorized with some of those great pieces.

That said the problem starts to become differentiating this guy from exhalted sorcs so I think they did a good job of doing that. Now what would have been extra cool... is if they did the same thing as the Chaos Dark Apostle, and actually gave this model two 'Imp' Models that allowed a +1 to pass a pact attempt.

My only concern about this model (and so many of the new ones) is visiting Snap City as I call it. I do use my stuff in a lot of venues, and I am always finding these new sculpts to be very unforgiving in the ol' transport case.  (I can't imagine taking new Belkaor anywhere.)

How pumped are you about the new powers though? 2 new disciplines? Wow. That is the juicy centre I'm waiting on.

What if...our mono bonus was something like armywide -1 to hit?

Like an mono bonus auto glamour of Tzeentch. The shimmering facade of 1000 sons force confuses the enemy.

Effects the whole army, I don't think -1 to hit is too common (could be wrong) and opens up a spell for something else.

Just trying to think of what other interactive mechanics it could be.

Edited by Skerr

Interactive to me means something I can use and deal with more often than a flat bonus or something to ignore. My guess is you get to pick and choose psychic powers differently than normal or you get to tap into a different wind of magic or something every turn for different bonuses. Whether that’s through the tuteleries or pure chaos energies, who knows.

That sounds interactive.

Seemingly, whatever it is will be new and utterly unique. *dump truck of salt* The word is, someone with knowledge of the book has said no one has guessed it right. 

So, nothing that already exists anyway. 

Interactive to me means something I can use and deal with more often than a flat bonus or something to ignore. My guess is you get to pick and choose psychic powers differently than normal or you get to tap into a different wind of magic or something every turn for different bonuses. Whether that’s through the tuteleries or pure chaos energies, who knows.

That sounds interactive.

following up on that, what if there’s no need to pick spells before the game, letting you cast stuff “on demand” as it were?

The guy with the book said that the pure army bonus 'super doctrine' applies to more than just psykers, such as traditional astartes units (in this case, Arcana Astartes) like predators etc so I dont think it's purely psychic-based buffing

Now I can see why he was hyping Infernal Masters and Forgefiends for weeks though, after reading yesterdays Infernal Master article and how that +1 strength to ranged weapons in a unit is like 24" range and doesnt just have to target friendly infantry

Edited by Archaeinox

Well I guess it depends on how you look at 'interactive'.

I always think of Interactive as within the context of the players. IE: Tau are one of my least favourite armies to play against because I find them non-interactive... (at least how they are played around here!)

But I can see interactive as in... interacting with the army overall. IE: meaning outside the confines of the psychic phase.

The guy with the book said that the pure army bonus 'super doctrine' applies to more than just psykers, such as traditional astartes units (in this case, Arcana Astartes) like predators etc so I dont think it's purely psychic-based buffing

Now I can see why he was hyping Infernal Masters and Forgefiends for weeks though, after reading yesterdays Infernal Master article and how that +1 strength to ranged weapons in a unit is like 24" range and doesnt just have to target friendly infantry

Honestly, without dramatically increasing the model range (which it appears we will get nothing more than that Infernal Master) we need something to help the fact we just don't have Havocs, or Oblits, etc, etc. (Especially in this exceptionally shooty edition of 40K)

I'm still a little disappointed that we are getting 1 fig. The Death Guard got immensely fleshed out over the past couple of years. And I realized GW gets a lot of profit out of shipping a single little blister that every army needs as opposed to a 'squad', but I still had hopes.

Last book I was a little put off by all the goats, and this book has a lot of potential because the supplement gave us all these sub-achetypes which became awkward to use in 9th but can be cleaned up a lot. I just hope it's not a heavily daemon integrated book design (instead of goats) to give us a sort of fake expansion of the model line.

As far as Magnus, the more time passes the less I see him being a good unit. I see how the Silent King and Mort are functioning (or not functioning in this case) at a competitive level, so I'm really expecting a lot of the Rubrics/Scarabs (which have always been my favourite units anyway).

The one thing that I see potentially happening here, which is kind of a problem with all Chaos, is the potential requirement for lots of HQ slots. I'd love to see an "exalted" category of Sorc (including Ahriman) which basically allows a 'free' slot of an additional Sorc without using an HQ slot. This would mimic the Necrons 'free' Cryptek slot and would be a great fit for Thousand Sons.

Edited by Prot

Hmmm, a group or cabal that could be added somehow would be cool. Like how you mention the cryptek or even how a Sisters of Silence can be taken in Custodes without compromising their abilities. Not the same thing I know but there could be some potentially creative uses of cabals or m other ways to make Exalted attractive.

I'm sure GW is well aware at the lack of minis we have for the army. The question is where do we stand on the priority list, not high but possibly not at the bottom either. But as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Perhaps if more people that felt the need for a more "full" list of models (besides AoS ports), then I would say it would probably help if more people politely voiced this want on any facebook posts related to us on WARCOM. 

A floating automaton tank would be nice, that can dual kit as a heavy weapon platform or a chariot-type transport for sorcerers to boost their abilities or fire witch bolts.

That and maybe a dedicated fast attack or heavy support type rubric squad would make great additions to the small sample size we have. Alas, looks like that will need to wait quite a while.

I bought two helbrutes yesterday so I’m hoping to run them vs the decimators I’ve run in the past. I looked around for spawn alternatives too. I’m also hoping to have a reason to paint Magnus - he’s been sitting in the box since shortly after release but the priority is usually low.

I thought about getting daemons too. In the past I’ve avoided them in my chaos armies, but I think I prefer them to the gors if there’s good synergy. 

All I can say is be careful about getting a few daemons to complement your Marines; that's what I did and we know how this story goes - they don't have their own army entry in my sig project log for nothing :laugh.: I am sure that I will extend my daemonic host to Tzeentch once my Sons get more models :tongue.:

Things are sounding positive for Sons, as mentioned before I don't think we can see a huge change - that needs a range expanded beyond one HQ - but so far it seems that we can likely expect a decent improvement for what we have :) I'm looking forward to when we hear more :tu:

My single concern is that they make psykers reliable for us.

There's absolutely no reason we should ever have a whiffed psychic phase. What's the point of trying to cast High Risk, Meh Reward powers if it might fail to cast in the first place. Let those powers go off.. you can still try to deny, and I can still Perils.. But I shouldnt have a master of sorcery fail a Warp Charge 7 power.

They did say we get two EXPANDED disciplines. Maybe that will fill gaps.

Edited by Archaeinox

We need stratagems to make our cast more reliable, or even un-deniable (only way we can defeat a SoB army, as they gave this faction an automatic 33% denial rate)

My dream for this codex is to have auras from exhalted to secure psychic, like reroll 1s for psychic test

Woukd make sense to have experienced Sorcerers helping younger sorcerers to cast better

Edited by MillionsSons