New Codex Cover & 9th Ed Speculation/Rumours

Xenith

Not great. Mostly goats,

“Mostly Goats”, yet the kit is literally split 50/50 between Tzaangors kits and TS kits

Goats: 11

Astartes: 6

:thumbsup:

I know it doesn't gel with the more modern fluff, but I'm more from the 3rd ed school of Thousand Sons, where they were described as ranks of Rubric Automata providing walls of firepower from which the sorcerors could work their magics.

Not great. Mostly goats,

“Mostly Goats”, yet the kit is literally split 50/50 between Tzaangors kits and TS kits

Goats: 11

Astartes: 6

:thumbsup:

I know it doesn't gel with the more modern fluff, but I'm more from the 3rd ed school of Thousand Sons, where they were described as ranks of Rubric Automata providing walls of firepower from which the sorcerors could work their magics.

Ah so going with the arbitrary model count and not kit count or point cost (which are equally arbitrary ;))

I don't see why your vision of TS is invalid, they can very much be that still. Though I guess that vision keeps you from buying box sets, which I get because I've avoided the 9th edition starter boxes because I can't stand SM bikes. I don't think it's a bad thing we have some thematic options though, and I'd love more options all around: Rubricae, Tzaangor, Cultist, and bespoke Daemon Engines.

I'm more of a Tzeentchian Renegade fan though. I like the mixture of mortals, mutants, magic, and machines. It's probably why I like Tzaangors so much, besides being aesthetically pleaaing

Edited by sitnam

I think the gors would be more accepted by people if there were more kits and people didn’t feel like they were forced to take them.

A dedicated unit of tzeentchian cultists, a dedicated TS tank or two, a different terminator squad or assault unit , etc would be a welcome addition to the range and obviously give more options.

I like the Tzaangors for what they are, but it is a borderline feels bad when they make up, what, like 30% of the whole range?

Gors as a Tzeentch specific cultist are fine. CSM armies shouldn't need cultists.

I don't like Gors. They belong, to me, in Codex: Tzeentch and not Codex: Thousand Sons. Thousand Sons belong in Codex: Thousand Sons. Death Guard having Poxwalkers is different: they're zombies raised by the DG plagues, not troops they drag around.

Put me in the psyker automata and psyker dread camp, with weird psyker daemon cannons powered by daemons

YMMV

Edited by BrainFireBob

I like the tzaangors, only issue with them is that they dont fulfill any role at the moment.

They are way to expensive to be a screen (better go with cultist, or summoned brimstone) and not efficient enough to be a CC unit with impact on a battlefield.

combat patrol box will either be Ahriman again or the infernal master because the exalted box comes with 3 models.

They COULD use then Chaos Terminator Lord kit, but I'd be very surprised.

Atleast with Ahriman that's an easy conversion if you have an Exalted Sorcerer's kit handy

Infernal Master is getting released later, according to GW's FB commenting. So I suspect he will be in the combat patrol box later.

Releasing the Codex alongside the GK Codex AND a boxed set, plus cards and probably dice for both factions, is a lot... They might wait a bit.

Combat patrol boxes generally seem to be released around the time of the codex. I also don't think they'd put a brand new figurehead model in there. DG combat patrol has Typhus, so I presume we'll keep Ahriman. 

Ahriman

Rubrics

Tzaangor Enlightened

ForgeFiend*

=£135/534pts.

Those are pretty much exactly what the Death Guard box has in terms of money/savings, and complements models from the Hex box. Also means you have to then buy another box of tzaangors and elighntened if you want to field effective units.

*Forgefiend is a Hail Mary/wishlist. Could easily be a Hellbrute.

Edited by Xenith

Just noticed Exalted Sorcerers went ‘no longer available online’. They’re obviously coming back, but it’s really nice to see they should have an updated color coded (I’m assuming/hoping) assembly guide now. Those old black and white ones are rough…

Edit: tacking on here I’d love to see a helbrute in the Combat Patrol box. Especially because the helbrute is webstore exclusive. (Crazy right?)

Edited by EnsignJoker

I'm still undecided on the new TS/GK box.

I want the new Infernal Master and 5 more Scarabs, but I already have 20 Tzaangors and a shaman. I don't think I need any more :(

Same... and I already have 15 termies. I guess I’ll try to sell them to other folks.10 more tzaangors might be usefulif they are good for screen... or CC with the codex. But we’ll know only after the codex

I have 10 Scarab Termies built and painted. I think I have another body I bought to make a conversion for a proper Termie Sorc.... Goats... Well I have 30 built, about 10 completely painted, and I think I have even more.

So as I write this I'm thinking why the heck am I buying this box?? lol

From the box I only need the Infernal Master so I am probably taking a trip to Conversion-town when the dex drops. Then buy him, to have 2, when he is available separately.

Someone used HH Ahriman from the Prospero box and 3d printed some warpy critters, similar to the screamers in their infernal energies.

Got to admit, it looked badass.

With all the ES, other 1k sons bitz and other undivided sculpts available, Infernal Master conversions will be a blast and I can't wait to see what other converters pull off.

Edited by Skerr

A lot of people I'm sure will kit bash their own version. As a side note, this is something from the old days of GW I truly miss, and they even promoted it in the old White Dwarfs; conversions. A lot of models just didn't exist back then, and you were encouraged to reach deep into your inner hobbyist, and come up with a model. 

I ended up buying two of the Exalted Sorc kits just because I love all the options in it. I could easily make my own. I admit I am going to get the box, and my justification is the background/Crusade info. The second motivator is I will probably paint up the GK side. 

There's this part of me that just can't believe TS will get a real power level jump. The other part of me has been experiencing, first hand in the past few months and I'm seeing this brutal trend.... bad psychic phases. I won't harp on the changes to the psychic phase that I've never liked, BUT add in the stuff I've been experiencing and a lot of armies have psychic defense now. SoB is going to be extremely hard to get away with stuff. 

In other words, I'm wondering if how are armies are all going to look is: Ahriman (Or some fine tuned sorc with relics galore) + 2 Infernal Masters.  Infernal Master can't be denied, they can frontline the army while your true Sorc is the one you can keep back and take advantage of greater ranged or defensive buff abilities, and just hope you can't be denied. 

That's the speculative formula I am leaning too also knowing what we do.

I expect the IM will be low level psych, perhaps 1 power/ 1 deny as to ensure they don't make other Sorcerer options obsolete. Excited to see what other pacts the IM has but all ready expect these guys to be mid to front line engaging.

Edited by Skerr