New Codex Cover & 9th Ed Speculation/Rumours

Xenith

Hear me out. What if it's a 0 CP strat to meditate at the start of the psychic phase and swap all powers on 1 Psyker unit.

Would that alleviate the blow?

I think the recent books lead me to believe that nothing is outside the realm of possibility. I expect to be floored by the new book and I don't mean in a Top Table way. Just in general.

Edited by Archaeinox

Wouldnt the "in-between" just be a stratagem 1cp, that let's you swap powers during the game?

Hear me out. What if it's a 0 CP strat to meditate at the start of the psychic phase and swap all powers on 1 Psyker unit.

Would that alleviate the blow?

I think the recent books lead me to believe that nothing is outside the realm of possibility. I expect to be floored by the new book and I don't mean in a Top Table way. Just in general.

I was just going to post that it would be cool/fluffy if it were a 0 CP strat, essentially allowing a once per turn free exchange of a power. 

I am also someone who always disliked goats. When our old 'new' codex came out and 90% of the expansion of it came in the form of upright goats, I was massively disappointed. And as always we keep asking for that new sorc Dread character that we are overdue for.

One weird thing that has always stuck with me is the odd ball unit that is the Mutalith Vortex beast. I never got one, as it seemed too niche based, and weak without any real focus. But I always liked the premise, and I'd like to see the rules for the Mutalith get a complete overhaul.

But seeing that cover is certainly exciting. One of my favourite things about Thousand Sons has always been the aesthetic, and a lot of that comes out in the amazing artwork they come up with. To this day some of my favourite art pieces come from the Wrath of Magnus stuff in 7th. 

Like DG I have this feeling that the majority of our force (IF you want to be competitive) is going to be Goats and Horrors. Very few marines. (probably some terminators and HQs)

How many DG forces look like 5 DG Terminators and 30 plague walkers.

I guess it's just how you have to play if you want to win but damn that stinks. Still I am looking forward to TSons.

I think they're going to put the pedal-to-the-metal and just say All is Dust units can't ever Advance, but if they Remain Stationary they can shoot twice. Stacks with Malicious Volleys. 

Like, consider what other books have and the filth they can do. This is tame. Especially now that we can't take 11+.

One weird thing that has always stuck with me is the odd ball unit that is the Mutalith Vortex beast. I never got one, as it seemed too niche based, and weak without any real focus. 

Tau hate it. If they let one get without 9", or a bit farther out if it's wounded I guess, you can really make their drone and firebase clusters suffer. 

It's likely that their heavy weapons firepower is going into Rubrics, Contemptors, Scarabs. The Mutalith usually goes untargeted when I have used it because of the suspicion that it is exactly how you describe. Very easy to kill if targeted, of course. But it's something that can be thrown away towards the opponent for its points and we don't have a lot like that.

Edited by Archaeinox

Like DG I have this feeling that the majority of our force (IF you want to be competitive) is going to be Goats and Horrors. Very few marines. (probably some terminators and HQs)

The DG book mandates 1:1:1 PM or Terms/Pox/Cultists (so e.g. for every 1 unit of Marines or Terminators, you can have 0-1 units of Poxwalkers and 0-1 units of Cultists). In practice, it actually works pretty well - to take 30 Poxwalkers as per your example, you're looking at a minimum of 2x Terminator or PM units - and I'd expect to see TS get a similar rule.

I think they're going to put the pedal-to-the-metal and just say All is Dust units can't ever Advance, but if they Remain Stationary they can shoot twice. Stacks with Malicious Volleys.

Like, consider what other books have and the filth they can do. This is tame. Especially now that we can't take 11+.

I wish they just added an extra rule and bring back slow and purposeful. Always counts as stationary but cannot advance. Double tapping would be nice too if it was restricted to boltgun. This would give incentive to take them if warpflamers change to 12".

I'm leaning into this as well. It gives more incentive for goat holdouts like myself to buy them as it isn't something that makes more rubrics really attractive compared to other factions. I hope to dust this army off the shelf sometime this edition.

Yeah I understand. It just that the army ends up being more demons then actual marines. Since those are far cheaper and extremely valuable in 9th ed.

The DG book mandates 1:1:1 PM or Terms/Pox/Cultists (so e.g. for every 1 unit of Marines or Terminators, you can have 0-1 units of Poxwalkers and 0-1 units of Cultists). In practice, it actually works pretty well - to take 30 Poxwalkers as per your example, you're looking at a minimum of 2x Terminator or PM units - and I'd expect to see TS get a similar rule.

Anyone think Ahriman is likely to see a new model. I guess his current model is pretty solid. 

Terminators and Rubric are unlikely to change as well?

Goat Boys? Also seems unlikely. 

So we are maybe only looking at 1 new model? The new HQ?

If that holds true then the start collecting box is probably a pretty good deal still? 

Ahriman's update is based upon the older metal Ahriman so I don't expect a change on that front.

My opinion is that besides the "Infernal Master," we cannot expect any additional incoming kits other than possible Age of Sigmar ports. 

I think the granularity for "new" options will come from the Legion Upgrades (ie: Dilettante) or maybe a Crusade requisition to let you make a helbrute into a psyker.

I've been having a blast with my Ravenwing in Crusade. I just cannot imagine the potential for Thousand Sons in Crusade. I am looking forward to it H E A V I L Y

Edited by Archaeinox

Yeah I understand. It just that the army ends up being more demons then actual marines. Since those are far cheaper and extremely valuable in 9th ed.

Sure, but you aren't forced to play Poxwalker heavy builds. DG can do perfectly well without them - pure marine lists have done extremely well in US majors. I'm sure TS will be able to be competitive without goats.

can I ask - do thousand sons marines still have like AP3 on their bolters?

I remember when I last saw them played, they had some form of enscorcered bolters that could melt through armor.

I dont have the Thousand sons codex. but. :) I wonder, how much does one thousand son marine cost?

I would be thankful for any answer to my questions if you know :)

I suddenly got the urge to just buy a box of thousand sons marines (or is it rubric marines) and then paint them

with my new airbrush I get on tuesday. :D

one last question - would a couple of 'sons' do well in a slaaneshi csm/daemon army? maybe as AP fire support? :laugh.:

I remember when I last saw them played, they had some form of enscorcered bolters that could melt through armor.

I dont have the Thousand sons codex. but. :smile.: I wonder, how much does one thousand son marine cost?

I would be thankful for any answer to my questions if you know :smile.:

I suddenly got the urge to just buy a box of thousand sons marines (or is it rubric marines) and then paint them

with my new airbrush I get on tuesday. :biggrin.:

one last question - would a couple of 'sons' do well in a slaaneshi csm/daemon army? maybe as AP fire support? :laugh.:

Our Rubric marines and Terminators have -2 AP on the inferno bolters / storm bolters and -3AP on Soul Reaper canons. But with the codex likely to drop any time in the next month or so this could change very quickly.

Each Rubric marine is I think currently 18pts but going up to 21pts with the new codex.

I haven't played with demons so couldn't give you any advice there sorry, but gw is giving incentives to move away from soup lists with army benefits.

I have run a small band of Rubrics with my Slaaneshi Marines and it worked quite well. Aside from keeping the Marine theme strong with the CSM focused on combat the Sons can fill a gap of not just shooting, but pretty good shooting with the AP. Not the greatest of range of course, but they can advance as a second line nicely :)

I dont have the Thousand sons codex. but. :smile.: I wonder, how much does one thousand son marine cost?

I would be thankful for any answer to my questions if you know :smile.:

with my new airbrush I get on tuesday. :biggrin.:

Our Rubric marines and Terminators have -2 AP on the inferno bolters / storm bolters and -3AP on Soul Reaper canons. But with the codex likely to drop any time in the next month or so this could change very quickly.

Each Rubric marine is I think currently 18pts but going up to 21pts with the new codex.

I haven't played with demons so couldn't give you any advice there sorry, but gw is giving incentives to move away from soup lists with army benefits.

I would love running those guys with storm bolters, I mean, ap -2-3 on bolters for 18-21 points is so epic.

and i assume all cant have stormbolters, right? thats like.. their heavy weapons choice? or can all have that?

I actually think im gonna buy some thousands' (see what i did there ;) ) and then have like just this one squad of thousand sons in my slaanesh army.

I have run a small band of Rubrics with my Slaaneshi Marines and it worked quite well. Aside from keeping the Marine theme strong with the CSM focused on combat the Sons can fill a gap of not just shooting, but pretty good shooting with the AP. Not the greatest of range of course, but they can advance as a second line nicely :smile.:

what range do they have? they sound very interesting. :) Im a pretty heavy chaos player, I already have 3 chaos codexes. daemons, csm, and knights.

but Im wondering rule wise, if theres some form of advantage with using an entire army in the same chaos god, or if I can splash in like one or two different units?

OH MY GOSH exalted sorcerers :D screamers of tzeentch! :D they look so cool! I think Im gonna shop some thousand sons after all,

since I love psykers, chaos magic and all that. Is it possible to do like..... 2/3 slaanesh, and 1/3 thousand sons? normal tzeentch isnt interesting this far, but I think thousand sons r so cool

Rubrics have shooting of 24" maximum, they're a close range shooty army in this regard especially if you want to get in warp flamer range. They can't take storm bolters, only their specific weapons (inferno bolter, warp flamer, soul reaper cannon). If you want that you need to look to Scarab Occult Terminators which is also where you'll find something with a range greater than 24" :wink:

I combine armies for lore reasons rather than rules, but there are some cross overs between abilities and that via gods. I'm probably the wrong person to ask but I don't think there's enough advantage to warrant army choices - better to pick the armies you like and if they can help each other that's a nice bonus :smile.: It's the kind of stuff GW is probably going to remove in the future from what I've seen, so less reason to look at it from a crunch point of view in my opinion.

It depends how you want to run your lists in the end. You can take a non-dedicated force and mark units largely as you wish, adding some Rubrics in for a more themed approach or you can take separate dedicated EC and Sons detachments for the full flavour. The buy in for the latter is larger (in real life terms too :tongue.: ), but does come with some advantages for it. It might be worth waiting until at least the Thousand Sons codex is released to see where you might want to go :thumbsup:

After reading WarriorFish, I'm kind of wishing the Sons were the chaos version of sisters of battle. At least in terms of an emphasis on short-range Bolter file, an emphasis on "miracle" or other post-armor save mechanism, goats instead of zealots, and strong denies. Now we just need more flame and melta options. Maybe some tricked out transport options? 

I am going to be so disappointed... 

Rubrics have shooting of 24" maximum, they're a close range shooty army in this regard especially if you want to get in warp flamer range. They can't take storm bolters, only their specific weapons (inferno bolter, warp flamer, soul reaper cannon). If you want that you need to look to Scarab Occult Terminators which is also where you'll find something with a range greater than 24" :wink:

I combine armies for lore reasons rather than rules, but there are some cross overs between abilities and that via gods. I'm probably the wrong person to ask but I don't think there's enough advantage to warrant army choices - better to pick the armies you like and if they can help each other that's a nice bonus :smile.: It's the kind of stuff GW is probably going to remove in the future from what I've seen, so less reason to look at it from a crunch point of view in my opinion.

It depends how you want to run your lists in the end. You can take a non-dedicated force and mark units largely as you wish, adding some Rubrics in for a more themed approach or you can take separate dedicated EC and Sons detachments for the full flavour. The buy in for the latter is larger (in real life terms too :tongue.: ), but does come with some advantages for it. It might be worth waiting until at least the Thousand Sons codex is released to see where you might want to go :thumbsup:

that sounds absolutely wonderful :smile.: ive been looking at rubric marines, maybe gonna have them in my landraider,

maybe even 20 of them, and also exalted sorcerers because those just look so fun to paint. :devil:

and yeah, Im a heavy chaos player ;) I already own 3 codexes, and I would probably run slaanesh and thousands in separate detatchments yes.

Edited by Angel of Death

Rubrics will be limited to 10 per squad I hear, so it'd need to be across two. The models are some of the best GW do still, and while they can be a bit more work to paint for it the results are always worth it :smile.: The Exalted Sorcerers box is brilliant, not just from the models themselves but the plethora of bits and options - great for sprucing up other models like Aspiring Sorcerers :smile.:

I really hope they wouldnt get that - 9th is about movement and taking points: a special rule that makes us almost as good as plague marines but only if we stay still would cripple the army. In other editions, Rubrics just always counted as stationary, so I'd like to see that again, even though DG kind of stole it already.

What I'm still hoping for is GW to go full Wraithhost on them and make Rubrics T6 2/3W. Not crazy considering what they did with Ork Boyz, but also now we see the new point costs, probably not going to happen. 

Since Plague Marines lost the feel no pain, it would make sense for us to get that since it would no longer be "stepping on their toes" as far as shared special rules goes. Hell, it might even be ignore wound on a roll of 4+ just to be extra spicy. Would work for large damage and small arms AND be fluffy. They have that 4+ ignore flesh wound in Kill Team so they understand Rubrics are just dusty bois.

Anything is possible at this point

Edited by Archaeinox