WIP - Storm Furies

rookster

Maybe the uninhabited continent is inhabited but only by the chapter-serfs, who gets new blood from failed aspirants and people taken by the Chapter from their battles with humans?

I'm thinking the chapter will likely use them for training,
Excellent idea. Having aspirants train at the smaller continents, serves three purposes:

1) It forces them to conquer the superstitious fears their native culture instilled in them,

2) As flash flooding is a constant danger there, the aspirants must learn how to prepare for sudden changes, or die,

3) It familiarizes them with maritime environments, which they'll eventually fight in- even live in, if a campaign is extended.

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Regarding the serfs, maybe most of them are actually servitors and only a small amount of them are "normal" humans, the later could be made up by a core of old families that get new blood through failed aspirants

You can build on this for your lore. You could decide on a canon-ish group/subgroup/world that they work with, or make up your own and maybe have some of that group/subgroup/world's culture, way of thinking, icnography and/or history influence your own lore.

Maybe some/many of the battle-brothers are lay-brothers in the AdMech faith/craft?

I may lean towards canon-ish world/subgroup with the idea that thats where a lot of the chapter supplies come from and where techmarines are trained, and they have an agreement involving trade of tech for tech trained serfs and ship crew.

You could have some elements from this world/subgroup with some of the Marines having markings from that world/subgroup and/or parts of their armour/gear in that world/subgroup's colours, representing that the battle-brothers have worked on missions for the world/subgroup, had duties on the world, and/or are considered AdMech lay-brothers at least by that world/subgroup. Or similar.

Also, if the world/subgroup have some kind of aesthetic thing, or tradition, that stands out from the standard AdMech, maybe some part of it have been adopted by the Storm Furies. For example maybe puff-sleeves are in among the tech-priests of the world/subgroup and that has lead to the many of the techmarines, and some of the other marines, have puff-sleeves over their armour.

You could use the belt blings from the IH and IF upgrade kits to show some AdMech favour/knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the uninhabited continent is inhabited but only by the chapter-serfs, who gets new blood from failed aspirants and people taken by the Chapter from their battles with humans?

I'm thinking the chapter will likely use them for training,
Excellent idea. Having aspirants train at the smaller continents, serves three purposes:

1) It forces them to conquer the superstitious fears their native culture instilled in them,

2) As flash flooding is a constant danger there, the aspirants must learn how to prepare for sudden changes, or die,

3) It familiarizes them with maritime environments, which they'll eventually fight in- even live in, if a campaign is extended.

Yeah exactly, plus because the native population avoids the sea it means they don't have to worry about Aspirants running into any family or anything like that.

Regarding the serfs, maybe most of them are actually servitors and only a small amount of them are "normal" humans, the later could be made up by a core of old families that get new blood through failed aspirants

You can build on this for your lore. You could decide on a canon-ish group/subgroup/world that they work with, or make up your own and maybe have some of that group/subgroup/world's culture, way of thinking, icnography and/or history influence your own lore.

Maybe some/many of the battle-brothers are lay-brothers in the AdMech faith/craft?

I may lean towards canon-ish world/subgroup with the idea that thats where a lot of the chapter supplies come from and where techmarines are trained, and they have an agreement involving trade of tech for tech trained serfs and ship crew.

You could have some elements from this world/subgroup with some of the Marines having markings from that world/subgroup and/or parts of their armour/gear in that world/subgroup's colours, representing that the battle-brothers have worked on missions for the world/subgroup, had duties on the world, and/or are considered AdMech lay-brothers at least by that world/subgroup. Or similar.

Also, if the world/subgroup have some kind of aesthetic thing, or tradition, that stands out from the standard AdMech, maybe some part of it have been adopted by the Storm Furies. For example maybe puff-sleeves are in among the tech-priests of the world/subgroup and that has lead to the many of the techmarines, and some of the other marines, have puff-sleeves over their armour.

You could use the belt blings from the IH and IF upgrade kits to show some AdMech favour/knowledge.

I think there will be a heavy use of servators on ship, with ships human officers made up primarily of the family lines of the original serfs brought from the White Scars at the chapters founding, these have been augmented over the years with the influx of fresh genetics from the planet side serfs and Ad Mech sources. I'm leaning right now towards the idea that the planet based serfs get some tech training, but mostly deal with maintaining/defending the chapter monestary and acting as attendents for the SM's while the other serfs are based entirely in space, either on board the various chapter vessals or on the various space based defensive platorms/minor repair/resuply stations.

I'll have to think over the Ad Mech markings, I'm trying not to have too much spill over, this is partially because a. I can't sculpt to save my life. and b. I'm still a novice when it comes to painting and trying to freehand markings is going to be a challange for me. 

I'm going to try to tackle recruiting/indoctrination this week, not sure when I will have it up. I had minor surgury on my back last monday night and as a result sitting for long periods in front of a pc isn't super easy, so please bare with me, I promise I haven't abandoned this!

I'll have to think over the Ad Mech markings, I'm trying not to have too much spill over, this is partially because a. I can't sculpt to save my life. and b. I'm still a novice when it comes to painting and trying to freehand markings is going to be a challange for me. 

You could use transfears from the AdMech range or Forge Worlds' IH transfears

Or you could use some other transfears from other groups (Space Wolves, HH Sons of Horus, HH White Scars, Chaos Knights, etc.) and just say that the Forge World the Furies are close to have a bit of a different marking system than standard. Or you could combine different groups transfears.

Or you could use some other transfears from other groups (Space Wolves, HH Sons of Horus, HH White Scars, Chaos Knights, etc.) and just say that the Forge World the Furies are close to have a bit of a different marking system than standard. Or you could combine different groups transfears.

I will have a think on this and take a look at some of the transfers, in the very least I may use these for the tech marines and maybe on the vehicles.

I doubt that out there arent 3rd party bits which would suit your taste. Maybe look for something like that as alternative.

I've actually just ordered some feather purity seals from shapeways... though I am having to ship them via canada as shipping from the US to the Uk is stupid expensive atm.

Edited by rookster