Dreadclaws now disembark first turn!

Dreadclaws are true drop pods now (disembark on landing). Why are we not talking about this?

Because of the points. While they're not terrible, they're also not efficient. A 9W transport with 4 melee attacks isn't very exciting.

Still dealing with the shock of 400pt LOW Kharybdis Assault Claws.

Dreadclaws are true drop pods now (disembark on landing). Why are we not talking about this?

Because of the points. While they're not terrible, they're also not efficient. A 9W transport with 4 melee attacks isn't very exciting.

Still dealing with the shock of 400pt LOW Kharybdis Assault Claws.

True, but useful for certain things.....

A quick, easy way to protect Havocs if you go second and then get them into a good firing lane. Contemplating it for Chaincannons.

Master of Possession caddy for summoning via Malefic Discipline close to enemy lines might be worth a shot.

WE Berserkers first turn could be glorious with Violent Urgency and their Icon.

EC Possessed could be pretty insane w/ Honor the Prince. So could an EC Contemptor rigged for CC (that strat doesn't require Infantry).

All of these are "go big" options, but could work in the right builds.

Turn 1 disembark within 9". That's well within the range of reaper chaincannons.

Beat me to it. 2x5 w/Plasma and Combi-Plasma on each champ (Flamer can be replaced with Special Weapon, Chainsword can be replaced w/Champion Equipment-that allows a Combi-Weapon).

More importantly, units have the option of disembarking when it arrives. They can still choose to remain inside if it is safer.

I used Dreadclaws a few times when the IA Compendium came out and found them to be surprisingly ok. Not amazing, but fine. I was running them full of Berzerkers, dropping on T1 to threaten something with a T2 charge. I figured that the protection was the same as that of a Rhino, but with the added flexibility of being able to react to enemy deployment, and the bonus flexibility of having the FLY keyword.

The problem with Berzerkers in Dreadclaws is that even with an Icon and Violent Urgency, they still only get a 65% chance of charging. Not great for a glass cannon unit.

I'm considering trying a combination of 5 Berzerkers and 5 Havocs. Havocs get out on T1 to shoot something important, preferably sitting in terrain and/or holding an objective, while the Berzerkers stay embarked to offer some T2 melee threat. It'll be tough with just 1W on everything, but the idea would be to just add another threat.

More importantly, units have the option of disembarking when it arrives. They can still choose to remain inside if it is safer.

I used Dreadclaws a few times when the IA Compendium came out and found them to be surprisingly ok. Not amazing, but fine. I was running them full of Berzerkers, dropping on T1 to threaten something with a T2 charge. I figured that the protection was the same as that of a Rhino, but with the added flexibility of being able to react to enemy deployment, and the bonus flexibility of having the FLY keyword.

The problem with Berzerkers in Dreadclaws is that even with an Icon and Violent Urgency, they still only get a 65% chance of charging. Not great for a glass cannon unit.

I'm considering trying a combination of 5 Berzerkers and 5 Havocs. Havocs get out on T1 to shoot something important, preferably sitting in terrain and/or holding an objective, while the Berzerkers stay embarked to offer some T2 melee threat. It'll be tough with just 1W on everything, but the idea would be to just add another threat.

I personally run 2x5 in a Claw, both with Icons. That way, I get two chances at a rerolled charge and at least something should make it.

The more I think on it, the more I think either 2 Havocs, or 1 Havoc and 1 Zerker unit- or even 1 Havoc to keep it cheap. That guaranteed turn of fire is just hard to pass up. Havocs are excellent, but so fragile starting on the board.

Dreadclaws and their contents don't count as in reserve IIRC, so you can still drop Oblits turn 2.

Edited by BrainFireBob

Surprised no one has mentioned helbrutes.  Get them in melta range turn one and then charge into something.  Even if it fails the charge it can still block movement and be a big threat to deal with.  Might be even better with DG and Flash Outbreak strat

Surprised no one has mentioned helbrutes.  Get them in melta range turn one and then charge into something.  Even if it fails the charge it can still block movement and be a big threat to deal with.  Might be even better with DG and Flash Outbreak strat

Helbrute in DG would be pretty good, especially since it reduces damage like SM dreads do and would at least be irritating to remove.

If we really want to talk about Dreadclaws...

Played KACs at the start of 8th (beefed up version of same). It's not just about delivery, what the model does is just as important.

Dreadclaws have blade struts, giving you 4 S12 AP -4 D3 attacks at WS 4. This makes them a threat to things like light tanks, armigers, and whatnot, not to mention characters. Two hits and 2+ to wound means you will average 1 dead character per fight phase.

DCs are also T6 with 9 wounds. They're not going to fall apart to a slight breeze.

But the best feature is the base. A base that large makes multi-charges more likely to be successful.

In 8th, my KACs would charge 3 Razorbacks at a time, killing 1 and making sure the others can't shoot next turn. The KACs would snipe vehicles / monsters / characters off the board 2 at a time while delivering 20 Noise Marines / Berzerkers to an undefended flank. Their movement and base size meant I was charging every turn they were on the board. I could achieve board control just by sending one in to wreck someone's battle plan.

9th is a different game, this Dreadclaw is nowhere near as potent a threat. Still, for the points, I would be looking at what else it can do besides deliver troops. If DG and TS can take these, that may make a difference for them. But it's not going to be that important for regular CSM armies.

This change alone has me excited to work on my World Eaters again. After years and years, we can finally have a drop pod of sorts that works T1. Whether or not my berserkers make the charge is up to the dice gods, but at least it’s possible.

9 Berserkers + Lord in one pod, 2x5 berserkers in the other. Blood for the blood god!

The Kharybdis… 400 points? Come on, man.

Edited by Juggernut

As I see it, the Anvillus has some perks.

As a FA choice, you can pick on a per-battle basis what's in it.

It gives you the ability to deploy shooting units last by DSing turn 1. If you go first, alpha strike potential. If second, you can protect some firepower for a counter-strike.

You don't have to deploy, unlike the loyalist version. Fringe case, but available.

One of the problems Chaos has is fragility. Alternatives- Terrax, DS, Outflank- hit no sooner than turn 2. This gives some alpha strike potential. You may be right, it may prove a gimmick. But it may not

I like that it doesn't degrade, on account of having fewer than 10 wounds.  However, i'm not seeing many advantages over a Rhino for infantry.  The melee attacks and Thermal Jets are interesting, though.  Maybe if you have bonuses to hit to hand out, it could work.  I do think there is a role for them as MSU MEQ hunters.  The best role, though is for Contemptors and Hellbrutes, just because of the limited options for those units.

Not counting towards the reserves maximums has potential, though.

As I see it, the Anvillus has some perks.

As a FA choice, you can pick on a per-battle basis what's in it.

It gives you the ability to deploy shooting units last by DSing turn 1. If you go first, alpha strike potential. If second, you can protect some firepower for a counter-strike.

You don't have to deploy, unlike the loyalist version. Fringe case, but available.

One of the problems Chaos has is fragility. Alternatives- Terrax, DS, Outflank- hit no sooner than turn 2. This gives some alpha strike potential. You may be right, it may prove a gimmick. But it may not

Could also have some interesting interaction with secondaries like Behind Enemy Lines.

Yes, very true! The big picture might not be too different than it is now when our dudes gain a wound, but that will certainly help our guys out as well. I'd rather have 10 wounds on an objective than 5. I like the capper/fighter possibility of having a unit of say, CSM, and a unit of berzerkers drop down together. One for taking, one for holding.

Of course, just theory, but this change combined with a new codex (should it ever exist :P) will bring even more possibilities for our faction.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think with the rules change and the increase in points of rhinos, dreadclaws are clearly better. Besides from, cramming zerkers, chosen or havocs into them for massive first turn punch, they are also great to drop a squad on a midfield objective and score points. I used a dreadclaw in my last game against sisters and wassuprised how much difference the drop assault made. The dreadclaw was gunned down immediately, and tbf with t6 that's simply what happens if its charge fails, but I kept the ground that I gained until the late game and eventually won by the points the move allowed my to score.