LVO registration is live but,

McElMcNinja

I’m just worried LVO will use pairings like they did in ‘19 that they don’t pair certain players against each other until later rounds. It’s not a fair system for others while select few gets “special treatment”. We all pay the same, but get treated differently.

I’m just worried LVO will use pairings like they did in ‘19 that they don’t pair certain players against each other until later rounds. It’s not a fair system for others while select few gets “special treatment”. We all pay the same, but get treated differently.

Can you elaborate for those of us outside the tournament scene? Are you saying they make sure the 'top' players don't meet until the finals? That wouldn't be much different from basketball seeds where the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ranked teams all start in separate brackets.

In a normal tournament after round 1 the top 2 players are paired against each other, but at LVO they made sure if those 2 were top ranked players they would play against lower ranked players. If that’s the system they want to use, fine by me it’s their tournament. It’s just they should make it known ahead of time or just have a separate tournament for the top 100 players and a second for everyone else.

That wouldn't be much different from basketball seeds where the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ranked teams all start in separate brackets.

I think the issue is transparency; LVO does not claim to use seeding or brackets for it's initial round of games, which is supposedly a free for all Swiss format. It's only after the final rankings from those games are determined that the top players go into a traditional seeded knockout finals round.

A Swiss system should naturally bring the top-ranked players together after every round. Because there don't appear to be any brackets to separate the top players, it looks like certain individuals are being artificially protected from playing each other to make it easier for them to reach the finals.

If the TOs want to do that then they should spell out that this is how the tournament works. Just doing it behind the scenes looks super shady and, as OP says, isn't fair on the rest of the competitors.

It seems very biased. The top players could feasibly play the weakest players consistently, get higher tournament scores because of it and then the players pushing for the top go up against each other and might find themselves winning the same amount of games but as they had stiffer competition had narrower victories.

Not that I follow big tournament ranking systems. I could be totally wrong on this.

It seems very biased. The top players could feasibly play the weakest players consistently, get higher tournament scores because of it and then the players pushing for the top go up against each other and might find themselves winning the same amount of games but as they had stiffer competition had narrower victories.

Not that I follow big tournament ranking systems. I could be totally wrong on this.

No I think your right, competitive 40k is in a weird stage right now. I think they want to build up name recognition because having consistency on top show's that it's skill based not just a dice game. That said if they'll have to find a way to make it a lot more appealing to watch if they really want it to resemble something like Magic's pro circuit. They also will have to stop using top names to playtest, for example  Nick Nanavati already know what's in the 2021 chapter approved mission pack, that is gonna be a short term advantage for him. 

For me its interesting to see the lists and keep track of what's good because it affects what I play against. That said I don't view these guys as super human, I think there are a lot of good 40k players that can't devote the time, or justify the budget these guys do for practice, travel, and models. So hopefully they go back to treating them like everyone else.