Deathwatch seem to have been majorly buffed by new changes

DeathwatchSH

Copied from my Reddit topic:

DW looks like have majorly improved in the meta after recent changes. New DW lists post FAQ. C&C needed.

With the recent FAQs and changes, I think everyone should really appreciate just how much better DW are positioned in this game.

Yes we’ve gotten a few nerfs. But generally speaking, especially with the rules changes, DW are in a stronger position than before. I’ll try to breakdown the big changes I think people need to adapt into their lists and, as usual, sample lists will be at the bottom.

**DW POINTS ADJUSTMENTS**

The biggest pain here is definitely the change against apothecary and vanguard vets. You’ll just have to take the hit OR alternatively make it up by taking bolter inceptors over the vanvets. As I’ve talked about in another thread, the damage output on these guys are huge and can be double the power of plasma for points now against targets like DG terminators.

The eliminator change is also excellent. I haven’t figured how to fit them in my list but I’m sure others will find their niche. I’m a bit deflated with the nerf to geurilla tactics.

**ENEMY POINTS ADJUSTMENTS**

How sad am I about the increase to VVs and apothecaries? Well it’s limited by how expensive these units are now for some of our toughest matches. DA has taken a significant hit to ravenwing and green wing with the raise on attack bikes and plasma. Talon master hit significantly as well. On the white scars front, VVs, bikes, apothecaries and inceptors have all gone up. Basically the entire army.

Easy matchups like BT/BA/SW are now easier than ever.

Drukhari was already a favourable matchup for us, but now I don’t even consider them as anything important when list building. Points hikes and many nerfs. Our secondary and strats have always made this fight pretty easy.

Overall the points changes have nerfed some of our fiercest opponents more than us.

LOC getting 20 more points was really nice! Most annoying unit in the game.

**FAQS HAVE CHANGED THE GAME**

Many changes here. But let’s just talk about the most important one for us. FIGHT LAST cancels FIGHT FIRST and CHARGE into NORMAL FIGHTS. Great news for gunlines, terrible for melee armies as defenders now get the first fight.

This makes a kill team with premorphic resonance insanely hard to charge when backed by a judiciar. You’d have to get through the overwatch and survive fighting last. Your job is to now make sure you don’t get charged by two things at a time that will obliterate your kill team, which honestly is quite easy.

Against DG: ^^

That reroll all against elite kill team is gonna be front and Center here. With 4 flamers and reroll all, you’ll kill a 10 man possessed squad before they get to swing. DG trying to multi charge would be extremely difficult.

Mortarion has not been the biggest threat to us and is probably obsolete with the arrival of new admech poison/lascannons. Now they will have to try and outshoot us as we are fairly immune to their charges.

Against necrons: ^^^

Wherher it’s 10 lychguard a or 5 skorpeh, there will be barely anything left by the time they swing. It’s very likely you can even destroy a unit of wraiths just on the overwatch, let alone the melee attacks. This leaves necrons in a bad position as their short range guns come into auspex range and do not have the firepower to out gun us. Necrons will have to use a composite army (melee, shooting, pure objective holders) to try and outshoot a straight up gunline.

Against DA: ^^

These guys are more expensive and now they’ll die if they try to charge into a middle objective my indomitors are standing on. Talon masters are now really expensive gatlinws and HBs. 75 points more for talon master spam, 20 more for apothecary, 30 more for bikes. Still one of our more challenging matchups but not difficult at all.

Against Daemons: ^^^^^

I don’t know how daemons are suppose to deal with this. Slaanesh just got completely nerfed. There is nothing stopping me from deploying on the line against keepers. I’ll kill one from overwatch + melee before it can swing. Just yesterday, was having a headache thinking of how to deal with Belakor. But now the powerfists and punches can average 8+ damage when it swings first. If you had shaved off a few more wounds in shooting, then it’s almost dead by the time it can swing.

This is a no shooting army. Our power against this army just shot through the roof.

Against WS/BT/BA/SW: ^^^^^

WS points wise got hit bad. The points nerfs seem to be directly nerfing everything they use since they were the meta marines. And again, all this melee isn’t enough to overload a kill team. As long as you aren’t getting triple charged, they are screwed.

Against DED: ^^^^ (against current builds)

Cult of strife striking last... even your hellblasters will wipe these ladies out before they swing. Their fight first ability now means nothing on the charge. They either double charge you with two powerhouses and accept they lose one or they charge with one and just lose it.

How is this different from the old interupt you ask? The difference is YOU choose who fights first, not the enemy. They can’t just use their strongest unit to hit first.

Honeslty these are the only key matches for DW and there really is no point in talking about sisters and admech til their builds shake out.

**LIST BUILDING**

I may be getting way ahead of myself but for me, the judiciar at first appears to the the new auto include. I’ve replaced adept of the codex for the Black Templar warlord trait Oathkeeper. This allows us to heroically intervene 6”, making it extremely difficult to avoid getting struck by the judiciar.

A detail in his usage: enemies can interupt and try to kill the judiciar. Try to stay away from the heavy parts of the squad that can do this and base the enemy squad so that whatever survives can’t reach the judiciar with enough power to kill him out.

He is now like a mini foul blightspawn but can pack quite a lot of punch in melee. Even has some mortal wounding ability.

Secondly, have units that can take advantage of fight last. That’s gonna be indomitors with power fists, veteran vanguards, outriders or proteus kill teams.

One of the big questions is whether to take a redemptor or a contemptor. Recently contemptors have been a big draw for many players, filling up the role of long range firepower. However, with a judiciar, I believe this might not be a good list choice.

The redemptor can also be a unit that takes advantage of fight last to defend a flank.

You don’t have enough CP to support the Contemptor now. Starting with 6CP and spending 2 to give it ap1 would be extremely painful

You now have more low AP weaponry and need to compensate with some high AP shooting

Here are three sample lists. Please leave comments and suggestions, they are always helpful!

**List A: Bolter Inceptors**

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Deathwatch) [110 PL, 1,995pts, 7CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Chapter Selection: Deathwatch

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Relics of the Chapter [-2CP]: 2x Number of Extra Relics

+ No Force Org Slot +

Company Veterans [3 PL, 40pts]

. Company Veteran: Astartes Chainsword, Boltgun

. Company Veteran Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Boltgun

+ HQ +

Captain on Bike [6 PL, 110pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Dominus Aegis, Storm shield

Librarian [5 PL, 90pts]: 1. Premorphic Resonance, 2. Fortified With Contempt, Boltgun, Force stave

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, 140pts, -1CP]: 2. Catechism of Fire, 3. Nowhere to Hide (Aura), 5. Recitation of Focus, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: A Vigil Unmatched, The Beacon Angelis, Warlord, Wise Orator

+ Troops +

Fortis Kill Team [17 PL, 290pts]: Venator

. 5x Hellblaster w/ Assault plasma incinerator: 5x Assault Plasma Incinerator, 5x Bolt pistol, 5x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Auto Bolt Rifle

. Intercessor w/ Astartes Grenade Launcher: Astartes grenade launcher, Auto Bolt Rifle

. 3x Intercessor w/ Auto Bolt Rifle: 3x Auto Bolt Rifle, 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Frag & Krak grenades

Indomitor Kill Team [20 PL, 390pts]: Dominatus

. 3x Aggressor w/ Flamestorm Gauntlets: 6x Flamestorm Gauntlets

. Heavy Intercessor Sergeant: Hellstorm Bolt Rifle

. 4x Heavy Intercessor w/ Hellstorm Bolt Rifle: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Hellstorm Bolt Rifle

. 2x Inceptor w/ Plasma Exterminators: 2x 2x Plasma Exterminators

Proteus Kill Team [17 PL, 320pts]: Deathwatch Teleport Homer

. Deathwatch Terminator

. . Thunder hammer and Storm shield: Thunder hammer

. Deathwatch Terminator

. Deathwatch Veteran: Astartes Chainsword, Deathwatch Boltgun

. Deathwatch Veteran: Deathwatch Boltgun, Storm shield

. Veteran Biker: Power axe

. Watch Sergeant: Heavy thunder hammer

+ Elites +

Apothecary [5 PL, 90pts, -1CP]: Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, The Tome of Ectoclades

Judiciar [5 PL, 85pts, -1CP]: Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

. 2. Paragon of their Chapter: Black Templars: Oathkeeper

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Servitors [2 PL, 30pts]: 4x Servo-arm

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [14 PL, 225pts]: Assault bolter x2, 4x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

++ Total: [110 PL, 7CP, 1,995pts] ++L2

**List B: Vanvets and Proteus bikers**

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Deathwatch) [110 PL, 1,957pts, 7CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Captain on Bike [6 PL, 110pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Dominus Aegis, Storm shield

Librarian [5 PL, 90pts]: 1. Premorphic Resonance, 2. Fortified With Contempt, Boltgun, Force stave

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, 140pts, -1CP]: 2. Catechism of Fire, 3. Nowhere to Hide (Aura), 5. Recitation of Focus, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: A Vigil Unmatched, The Beacon Angelis, Warlord, Wise Orator

+ Troops +

. 5x Hellblaster w/ Assault plasma incinerator: 5x Assault Plasma Incinerator, 5x Bolt pistol, 5x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor w/ Astartes Grenade Launcher: Astartes grenade launcher, Auto Bolt Rifle

. 3x Intercessor w/ Auto Bolt Rifle: 3x Auto Bolt Rifle, 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Frag & Krak grenades

. 4x Heavy Intercessor w/ Hellstorm Bolt Rifle: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Hellstorm Bolt Rifle

Proteus Kill Team [17 PL, 303pts]: Deathwatch Teleport Homer

. Deathwatch Terminator

. Deathwatch Terminator

. Watch Sergeant: Deathwatch Boltgun, Lightning Claw

+ Elites +

Apothecary [5 PL, 90pts, -1CP]: Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, The Tome of Ectoclades

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Servitors [2 PL, 30pts]: 4x Servo-arm

Vanguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 204pts]: Jump Pack

. Vanguard Veteran: Lightning Claw, Storm shield

. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Heavy thunder hammer

++ Total: [110 PL, 7CP, 1,957pts] ++

**List C: Lasfusil**

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Deathwatch) [111 PL, 2,012pts, 7CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

Spectrus Kill Team [20 PL, 360pts]: Malleus

. 5x Eliminator w/ Las Fusil: 5x Bolt pistol, 5x Camo cloak, 5x Frag & Krak grenades, 5x Las Fusil

. 3x Infiltrator: 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Frag & Krak grenades, 3x Marksman bolt carbine

. Infiltrator Helix Adept

. Infiltrator Sergeant

+ Elites +

Vanguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 232pts]: Jump Pack

. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Heavy thunder hammer

++ Total: [111 PL, 7CP, 2,012pts] ++

All lists have been adjusted for 2000 points

Edited by DeathwatchSH

I think you might've poorly worded the fight last/first change. Having both cancels to having neither, not fight last takes priority. It's a bit ambiguous in your wording, might be worth rephrasing so noone gets confused?

EDIT. I got confused reading the rules :D but here is the official wording. This is from warhammer community website link

Strikes First and Strikes Last

As one of the main areas where interpretations of the rules differed, the Studio team has supplied a comprehensive visual guide to determining the order in which models fight when affected by ‘Always Strike First’ and ‘Always Strike Last’ abilities or both. In short, each combat is split into three separate steps:

1. Players take it in turns to select units affected by ‘strikes first’ abilities, including those that have charged, one at a time, beginning with the player whose turn it is.

2. Players take it in turns to select units either affected by no ‘strikes first’ or ‘strikes last’ abilities, or affected by both, one at a time, beginning with the player whose turn it isn’t.

3. Players take it in turns to select units affected by ‘strikes last’ abilities, one at a time, beginning with the player whose turn it is.
Edited by BrotherCaptainSolari

Have noticed much of the same. Does look like we made out the least worst in this round of points adjustments.

There are some bold ideas in these sample lists. I see what you're doing with the Judicars and Dreadnoughts, but some of the other options are confusing.

The Spectrus Kill Team - I guess the Las Fusils are a missing anti-armor piece and the Marksmans are for MWs. Can see how they would be more potent than Indomitus w/ Outriders offensively, wondering why the tradeoff? Not convinced they can withstand the punishment bikes could have taken.

The Proteus Kill Team - Interesting to see one of these, curious about the role they will play in your lists. The Terminators and SS Vets definitely provide some durability, but I'm a little confused by the bikers. Taking 3 of them doesn't permit combat squadding, are they there to be ablative wounds? I get the sense their base size matters more than other qualities they bring to the table.

After looking at some photos from the East China Open, realized the DWFirewall works similar to the Black Legion gunline I played in 8th. Will talk about it more later, basics are 20+ lascannons split across multiple units all daisy chained to Abaddon for full rerolls to hit. Difference is yours is mobile, I would line up my troops along the table edge and try not to move. Definitely have some thoughts to share.

So like I was talking about in the original topic, I'm still quite confused about the role of eliminators at the moment. Its at the bottom of my list because I'm fairly uncertain about them. There isn't enough forward presence. 

Proteus Killteam: This unit CAN combat squad and it would split the 3 bikes with 2 terminators. Much like the outrider squad, this unit will mostly be responsible for daisy chaining to an objective but with terminators sitting in cover. That will give the terminators t5 and 0+ saves. 

A big reason for the switch is because I'm no longer afraid of a lot of the 3 damage units that use to come for me turn 1. Keepers are ruined by judiciars and similarly with death company/repentia that have 3 damage or +1 wounding. I don't know what the new repentias will be like but melee units that often wound on 2s will no longer be a major issue. 

Another reason is simply these guys will be better able to take advantage of fight last. With power axes and THs, they can dish out a lot of damage to something like zephyrim, keeper, or vanguard vets. 

Lastly I want to test out teleport homer. Before I was limited to relocating one unit with beacon angelis. But now I can overload my deployment on one side and have much more of my army disappear and reappear elsewhere. There are a few ideas with this.

A) I am likely going to put judiciar in the teleportarium in many matches. This will be an anchor for teleport homer and allows me to deep strike in an enemy backfield while immune to charges. 

B) Inceptors are also good anchors for a teleport and gives me a lot of flexibility for reinforcing different parts of the map significantly. They could also come down with a judiciar, making it a huge ranged threat with a melee shield backed by a judiciar. 

C) This can just easily allow me to switch flanks completely

D) Possibly an escape button for WWSWF

Its more of a test. Perhaps outriders will end up being better. 

The army is built to be tough in many different ways, unpenetrable by melee and with powerful shooting/charging that is hard to avoid. I'm hoping the proteus helps with putting the pressure on the enemy. One other major reason I take them for List A is because there are no vangard vets, so these are suppose to partially compensate for the lack of melee punch.

Las eliminators, even if they are good in other chapters, are still a unit locked at 3 guys with 6 humble wounds. So the profit is not big. But 5 with bloodpack and helix, are different.

How will you split the squads when needed? 3 eliminators and helix in one squad?

The Spectrus Kill Team has some potential.

As DeathwatchSH is surely aware, there are a lot of buffs for these guys on top of what being DW gives you.

He could take a Phobos Captain and a Phobos Lt to give the Infiltrators +1 to hit and +1 to wound from anywhere on the board. The Eliminators are BS 2 and the Las Fusils are S8 AP-3, along with Malleus I don't think they need to be buffed. While I'm not a fan of the Eliminator's guns, the unit has reliable shooting.

They're also strong defensively. The Eliminators have Camo cloaks, sticking them behind cover would make them hard to kill. The Helix Gauntlet lets the unit disregard the first failed save each turn. Infiltrators also have the Smokescreen keyword, for 1CP they get an additional -1 to hit.

So it's an anti-armor unit that's really hard to destroy. Not sure I see the sense in combat squads, the Infiltrators keep the Eliminators alive.

I've been mentally playing about (not got any games in recently) with a similar unit (I have a Spectrus kill team to build for my Deathwatch), I keep getting drawn to 5 Infiltrators including SGT and helix adept, 4 Eliminators and a single Incursor with a Haywire Mine. Partly this is because it's much easier to get 4 similarly armed Eliminators from the box of 3 than it is to scrape 5, but am I just over-rating the Mine?

I think you are over-rating the mine, it’s a unit that should have screens and prevent anything from coming close to it. If something charges it, you’ve already screwed up and the mine won’t save you.