Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lore reasons (excuses) for mouldlines

Lore Fluff Mouldlines Lazy Hobby

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Lord Raven 19

Lord Raven 19

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 570 posts

I was thinking yesterday about mouldlines and if there was a fluff justification for ever leaving them on your models. I thought up a few and I will put them here to see what people think and what else you all can come up with.

Death Guard/Nurgle in general: Joke - it's called mouldline 'cleaning' - self explanatory.

Astra Militarum: The imperium does not care enough for the common soldier to remove mouldlines from their armour.

What do you think? Any others you can come up with?

Lord Raven19

Lord of Deliverence; Scion of Albion; Baron of Camelot; Champion of Mortarion; Lord under Abaddon; Emissary of Szarekh.

Victorus aut Mortis

Ramell

Ramell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 585 posts
  • Faction: ℧ltramarines Third Company
The techpriest/mekboy/whatever (you) overseeing production was a slacker.
  • Firedrake Cordova, Slave to Darkness and MegaVolt87 like this

MetalMammoth

MetalMammoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

It's really not that hard, save for a few nasty examples like when it runs straight through a series of small ridges like a power weapon's field generator housing.

A myth to forget is that you need a mould-line remover tool. Y'don't. The back of your knife will do just fine.

An in-universe explanation is problematic, due to most of the equipment not being produced via casting, especially not two-sided plastic die-casting. You could however make a custom space marine chapter, called Sprue Warriors, who found an STC plan for exceptionally high strength plasteel, and really do cast all their gear.

What's more, they don't paint it either - to honor this wondrous material, and since everything is made of the same stuff, the entire miniature can remain unpainted.

Edited by MetalMammoth, 03 June 2021 - 11:06 AM.

• Rik Lightstar, Ramell, Grotsmasha and 2 others like this

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,086 posts
With Deathguard or Orks you could even go in the opposite direction and emphasise mould lines. Paint on or use green stuff to put some stitches or riveted plates across the mould line as if it’s holding it together :)
  • Slave to Darkness likes this

gallery_86689_11936_21517.pngsml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

Rik Lightstar

Rik Lightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,518 posts
  • Faction: White Scars, Mantis Warriors

On occasional models where I've missed them and they've been relatively minor I've turned them into scars or covered them with weathering/battle-damage type effects. This is typically a last resort though and is only done if it is in a suitable place and is in keeping with the rest of the model.

Rik

The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves, 
And Restricting Them To Supreme Flexibility Since M31

Check out my White Scars here

Find me on Instagram here

Lord Raven 19

Lord Raven 19

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 570 posts

@MetalMammoth agreed on it not being that hard to remove, just a thought that struck me and figured it could make some interesting conversation. 

Yeah, @Rammel, the slacker is a good one, and I like the idea of adding them on orks and DG @Mark0sian.

Lord Raven19

Lord of Deliverence; Scion of Albion; Baron of Camelot; Champion of Mortarion; Lord under Abaddon; Emissary of Szarekh.

Victorus aut Mortis

Azekai

Azekai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,196 posts
  • Faction: Warp Locusts, Traitor Guard

Funny story- the Russians in WW2 were trying to build tanks as quickly as possible, and left welding lines and other construction blemishes on their tanks intentionally; cleaning them up would have required more production time... so basically the same reason why people have mould lines on their minis: rushed production tongue.png

So that's an explanation for ramshackle vehicles, then. Why men and monsters would have such lines makes zero sense, in-universe.

• Firedrake Cordova, N1SB, Gederas and 1 other like this

Corruption is our armor. Infection is our weapon. Immortality is our reward.

gallery_48988_13169_3872.pngETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Chaos_LATD.jCall_of_Chaos_11_Banner_01e.jpggallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pnggallery_63428_7083_8312.png3DrnTQ5.png

Lord Raven 19

Lord Raven 19

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 570 posts

Yeah, agreed that some factions can do it easier than others, it's not as if 'Nids eating ork vehicles suddenly makes ramshackle 'Nids. Actually...

But Guard Infantry, the ones on the skin and clothes need to go, chaos could say they're mutations though?

Lord Raven19

Victorus aut Mortis

grailkeeper

grailkeeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 974 posts
  • Faction: Blood Bowl

I'm sure I've read some novels that had tongue in cheek references to Space Marines in grey armour at some point. They didn't go as far as calling them Adeptus unfinishedes but it was clearly a reference to unpainted models.

Edited by grailkeeper, 03 June 2021 - 04:20 PM.

• Lord Raven 19 likes this

Wulf Vengis

Wulf Vengis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,496 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
In the Ragnar series novels (i believe, it's a very long time) there are several references to unpainted ceramite/power armour being the grey color of unpainted minis.
The Lone Wolf Saga or The Lone Wolf Saga
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: Orlath83

jarms48

jarms48

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 208 posts

If it's a vehicle it's just a welding seam. Lol.

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,386 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

It is a ceremonial offering to their heretical gods beyond the veil of what even the warp can see, beyond even the Emperor's view. An offering to the beings who seem to pull the strings, wage the wars and fund the constant reinforcements who will never come ether because they remain contained in a coffin of strange material or that never see their livery applied. An offering to those who find amusement in chance, thunderous sounds of odds cascading across infinite battlefields.

Whether the offering appeases such beyond entities is unknown, all we know is we couldn't be bothered with that nonsense after model 5 :D

• Cactus and Lord Raven 19 like this

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,068 posts

When Cawl unveils the Primaris Marines in Avenging Son, they are all "clad in unmarked, grey armour."

I wouldn't even gatekeep you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lore, Fluff, Mouldlines, Lazy Hobby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users