Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters

Joe

A turn based strategy game is very different from a 3rd person RPG. They both have very different goals, intended audiences and pros/cons.

Turn based games aren’t lame if done well (look at the xcom reboots). This looks good.

That’s not to say a 3rd person RPG wouldn’t also be great, I love both types of games, but it needs a very large studio behind it to be able to realise it as something that isn’t shallow and lame

OG Chaos Gate was basically the last major attempt at a 3d graphics XCOM clone before the Firaxis hit reboot so using the forgotten Chaos Gate name and bringing in radically new gameplay would be weird.

You could probably make a better 2d retro RPG for cheaper than a dissapointing Outer Worlds wannabe (which from reviews was itself dissapointing). If Bioware or  Obsidian can't even make a decent modern equivilant to Mass Effect than a liscensed Inquisitor game is going to fail.

An Inquisitor version of Disco Elysium or Pillars of Eternity over an Inquistor Cyberpunk 2077 with no hope of getting post launch support if it flops.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

I understand that the warhammer board game itself is turn based.... And gw reeeally want to stay on brand

Sure I suppose if you ignore the raging success of the Total War Warhammer games, series like Dawn of War, Battlefleet Gothic Armada and Vermintide, standalones like Space Marine, Deathwing, Inquisitor:Martyr, Hired Gun and Chaosbane and upcoming stuff like Darktide, you might be able to make the argument GW wants to "stay on brand" and only pushes turn-based video games. :rolleyes:

Aside from the fact that in recent years the turn-based Warhammer games coming out have been some of the better ones (see Battlesector and Mechanicus) in a sea of dross, GW doesn't directly dictate which kind of games get made, they simply approve or deny game pitches which request use of their IP. They can no more get an "old school mass effect" style game in to production than they can get an Airbus A380 decked out like a Thunderhawk. Someone has to come to them with a concept.

And anyway, who is even going to make this pie in the sky ME-type Inquisitor game? Bioware can't even make games of that quality any more, and those type of massive games take a huge amount of financial investment. The studios with the resources and pedigree to pull off a game like that are already big enough that they don't need to pay to borrow GWs IP in order to sell their games. That leaves you with serially-average devs or startup indie studios who need the clout of the 40k license to help attract buyers. 

A super-immersive Inquisitor RPG where you can create your own Inquisitor and customize them down to the last purity seal would be neat. However, given that such games are few and far between nowadays (with the ME series having failed spectacularly with Andromeda, Dragon Age being completely irrelevant nowadays thanks to EA's mismanagement and Bioware's interesting writing, The Elder Scrolls being the same incredibly shallow game being released over and over for 10 years now and Cyberpunk 2077 being a synonym for embarrassingly rushed and terribly put together games in spite of almost being vapourware from the constant delays) I wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon- or if it did it would probably be a total disaster. That being said, from what I played so far I've been enjoying Inquisitor: Martyr, so maybe there is hope?

Anyway, the trailers for this look good. I just hope the game itself is decent and not just a mobile game ported to PC. I'm still feeling a bit burned by Stormground.

Love the trailer, a little skeptical of the game. Hired gun was kinda cool but couldn’t finish it. Total War is really the franchises last major success.

Yeah, I dont know why its so hard seemingly to hit the right note and get a truly massive 40K success out there. Going back to the early/mid 2000's for DoW 1/2 is rough.

Love the trailer, a little skeptical of the game. Hired gun was kinda cool but couldn’t finish it. Total War is really the franchises last major success.

Yeah, I dont know why its so hard seemingly to hit the right note and get a truly massive 40K success out there. Going back to the early/mid 2000's for DoW 1/2 is rough.

Battlesector is great and very recent!

Not AAA by any means but punches incredibly above it's weight

• 5 weeks later...

Me too, though I find it amusing that someone with the username Mechanicus Tech-Support is having trouble with some old computer game. Feels apt.

“Ah, the legends of the dark age of technology are lost to us…”

“Dude it came out in 1998.”

“So ancient. So mysterious.”