New 40K player with a cultist question

So I am going to be playing a Word Bearers warband.  Since Historical Colchis on the Black Sea coast is the supposed home of the Amazons, I was going to field an all female squad of Cultists.   I know that I am going to have to convert some and get a Necromunda game box or two to do this.

Fast forward to looking at the GW website and the only Cultists they list are for Blackstone fortress.  What am I missing here?   Is GW nerfing cultists completely?  Have they pulled the line to do a redesign and re-release with the CSM codex drop?

Please help an acolyte out.  Please let me know so I can start making plan "B" plans.

Thank you!

Huh, interesting. I did not even know they were gone from the store.

We're not expecting the CSM codex anytime soon so we have no idea what's going to happen in it, but I don't think they're axing the cultists from it for sure. I'd say you're safe to pursue your project. Just remember to post pictures. :)

Cultists are a core part of Chaos so I can't see them going anywhere rules/unit wise - the models are in a funny place currently, perhaps we may see a new release in the future? Not for a while though I'd say, as this would surely come with a new codex which doesn't seem any time soon. Cultists can be anything so all you need are some humans with pop guns and close combat weapons etc and you're basically there :lol:

I use the Escher models for my cultists, a bit more expensive but looks great and gives me lots of options (plus 20 are plenty for my wants). I know some use the Genestealer Cult models too for a more civilian look, once you start swapping heads and arms etc you can customise your models a lot without much effort.

All depends on how far you're happy to go, and what you want :) As noted, don't forget to share pictures when you do ;)

My Renegades and Heretics Chaos Militia (which sometimes moonlight as Night Lords Cultists) have also sourced female troopers from a variety of sources...

Slaaneshi Daemonettes

gallery_88062_14499_161403.jpg

gallery_88062_14499_98174.jpg

Various and sundry Privateer Press miniatures

gallery_88062_14499_32374.jpg

And, as others have noted, Necromunda Eschers

gallery_88062_14499_36876.jpg

gallery_88062_14499_52889.jpg

gallery_88062_14499_54162.jpg

gallery_88062_14499_3078.jpg

Mutant Rabble female using Escher body, a corpse head, and strawbashed shotgun

gallery_88062_14499_26436.jpg

gallery_88062_14499_8433.jpg

A Reaper magician

gallery_88062_14499_29735.jpg

A Victoria Miniatures commissar, Victoria Minnies makes many excellent female troopers

gallery_88062_14499_31894.jpg

At some point I'd love to get a squad of "Coyote Troopers" put out by Raging Heroes. These troopers' proportions are a bit more objectified than the Victoria Miniatures troopers though so keep that in mind.

Good luck and have fun!

In addition to the great suggestions above, GW recently teased an Imperial Guard upgrade sprue with female heads and such. There are also a few female heads that have a very barbaric look in the Slaves to Darkness Start Collecting if you also play Age of Sigmar. If your Cultists are a little more Slaaneshi in their bent, some of the Daughters of Khaine stuff from Age of Sigmar might also help.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

• 4 weeks later...

If you're in the UK, you can still order the issue of Conquest that has the now unavailable from GW Chaos Cultist models: https://hachettepartworks.com/en-en/warhammer-40k-conquest/warhammer-40000-conquest-issue-50/ :smile.:

Not in the UK since the family left in the late 1600's.  Thank you however, for the heads up.

GW is know from the castrating CSM codex  (GW rly hate csm players) , so I want be surprised if they cut cultist from codex if they dont have now miniatures. Now is bad time to assamble chaos miniatures , current codex is outdated and lighting claws are cheap and in new codex can be overcosted so people can be forced to cut miniatures or buy new one. 

GW is know from the castrating CSM codex (GW rly hate csm players) , so I want be surprised if they cut cultist from codex if they dont have now miniatures. Now is bad time to assamble chaos miniatures , current codex is outdated and lighting claws are cheap and in new codex can be overcosted so people can be forced to cut miniatures or buy new one.

I don't believe they will cut cultists from the codex. They have been a part of csm for quite a bit. They can make them inefficient though. Same with anything else. So yeah, if you want to have an army that is enjoyable in the near future I would recommend waiting until the new codex drops.

But even then points costs can change every time with the field manual. So basically build what you think looks cool (but is currently legal to field). There will always be a point in time when something shines.

The Cultists of the Abyss are currently on sale from GW and 3rd party supplier in the UK (I assume they're available elsewhere too) that a have a few cultists that would fit in well with Escher. As cultists are in the Death Guard book and are also the only other troops choice for CSM, I can't see them going anywhere with the new codex

60010699018_BSFEscalation03.jpg

The Cultists of the Abyss are currently on sale from GW and 3rd party supplier in the UK (I assume they're available elsewhere too) that a have a few cultists that would fit in well with Escher. As cultists are in the Death Guard book and are also the only other troops choice for CSM, I can't see them going anywhere with the new codex

some this  models are illegal , you dont have in codex granade launcher, granades , or chainsword ,or this silly big heavy flamer,  not mention you have here only 4 usable miniatures absolute monopose with zero capabilities for conversion,  One box is good idea but no more . 

GW is know from the castrating CSM codex (GW rly hate csm players) , so I want be surprised if they cut cultist from codex if they dont have now miniatures. Now is bad time to assamble chaos miniatures , current codex is outdated and lighting claws are cheap and in new codex can be overcosted so people can be forced to cut miniatures or buy new one.

I don't believe they will cut cultists from the codex. They have been a part of csm for quite a bit. They can make them inefficient though. Same with anything else. So yeah, if you want to have an army that is enjoyable in the near future I would recommend waiting until the new codex drops.

But even then points costs can change every time with the field manual. So basically build what you think looks cool (but is currently legal to field). There will always be a point in time when something shines.

15 years  ago i was sying " I Dont belive GW cut demons/greater demons from CSM codex , they part of true CSM identity"  how this story end you know .

some this models are illegal , you dont have in codex granade launcher, granades , or chainsword ,or this silly big heavy flamer, not mention you have here only 4 usable miniatures absolute monopose with zero capabilities for conversion, One box is good idea but no more .

First of all,I'm pretty sure all BSF kits came with a datasheet letting those units be taken in the appropriate 40K army.

Second, the only model in that squad that cannot be used WYSIWYG in 40K is the grenade launcher. Cultists have an option for flamers and the chainsword can be used as a "brutal assault weapon."