Foul Blightspawn, stench vats and charging - new FAQ

The Foul Blightspawn has a fight last ability - Putrefying stink (1 enemy unit within 3 fights last).

He can also take a relic - Revolting stench vats (aura - enemy units within 6 never count as charging and never gain charge bonuses).

How do these interact with the new faq, which states that charging counts as a fight first, so cancels with a fight last.

I have been playing it as the stench vats (which are not stated to be a fight last ability, nor do they make a unit fight last) happen first, as an aura, removing the charge bonus, so the fight last ability applies as if the target unit didn't charge, meaning it fights last.

What do you think of this, and do you feel it is the right reading of these rules? If so, how can we incorporate this into our startegies going forward?

I have been playing it as the stench vats (which are not stated to be a fight last ability, nor do they make a unit fight last) happen first, as an aura, removing the charge bonus, so the fight last ability applies as if the target unit didn't charge, meaning it fights last.

This is correct. Note the wording in the RSV aura:

never counts as having made a charge move this turn

Enemy units within 6" of the FBS simply don't count as having made a charge move. You are then free to hit an enemy with ASL at the start of the fight phase.

The Foul Blightspawn has a fight last ability - Putrefying stink (1 enemy unit within 3 fights last).

Not quite the exact wording is:

That unit is not eligible to fight until after all eligible units from your army have fought.

I am possibly being a little lawyer-y but strictly speaking fighting AFTER your units is not the same as FIGHTS LAST

In theory it just means that you fight before that unit- not that it is put to the back of the combat list

That said I am not entirely up to speed yet with the new faq

That unit is not eligible to fight until after all eligible units from your army have fought.

I am possibly being a little lawyer-y but strictly speaking fighting AFTER your units is not the same as FIGHTS LAST

In theory it just means that you fight before that unit- not that it is put to the back of the combat list

I don’t think any rule for any of these fight last abilities actually says fight last, it’s just a phrase used by the community

I don’t think any rule for any of these fight last abilities actually says fight last, it’s just a phrase used by the community

I think people are getting nostalgic for the days when we had a fairly consistent set of Universal Special Rules in the BRB that were called upon by more specific unit rules, instead of a bunch of bespoke rules, unique to individual units, on datasheets, all written without consideration of the wording of unit-specific rules on other datasheets with which they may need to interact.