Unit of the Week: Mucolid Spores

Xenith

++Mucolid Spores++

LvLnMIE.jpg

We have a new unit of the week! This week it's the hrd to find, only comes if you make a Sporcyst, Mucolid Spore! Essentially giant spore mines, for the cost of 3 spore mines, you swap essentially 3 guaranteed mortals for D3. Is there a benefit to this? What are you thoughts, and how best would you use these?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • What size unit? Will you be running multiple units?
  • What Hive Fleet Traits, Adaptative Physiologies and Stratagems do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Uses in Matched, Narrative and Open Play

Over to you.

As I alluded to above, I think we don't see these on the table for a reason. Basic spore mines do pretty much 3 mortals on a 2+ for 30pts, with a spike damage of 9mortals (!), while the mucolid averages 2w on a 2+ with a spike of 6. GW really fumbled the bloaty spore ball on this unit. Between worse rules, and the massive size making it an easy target, I don't think there's a point to these. 

Yea, pretty much. I can't see them really getting their own datasheet in the next codex. It's a gribbly thing that comes with another kit. It would be like Armorium Cherubs or servo skulls getting a datasheet in the next codex. Unless they release a plastic spore mine kit. They are one of the few remaining finecast kits. 

Huh, I actually didn't realise they still sold sets of finecast spore mines. But I just looked it up and they indeed do.

I figure most people get plastic ones from the tyrannocyte/sporocyst and harpy/crone kits. Those come with plenty.

Regarding Mucolid spores, the sole thing they have going for them is that they're only 22 points a piece, with a minimum unit size of 1. While regular spore mines are 10, with a minimum unit size of 3.

This makes Mucolids the cheapest fast attack choice available to the tyranids. So if you're really trying to squeeze in an outrider or brigade detachment for some reason, this might be the filler unit you need.

Edited by Arson Fire