Looking for wisdom from the pack.

Good morning Brothers and sisters!

My LGS is finally returning to our regular 40k schedule in a couple weeks. I haven't played ninth outside of versus myself on the kitchen table and was looking for general 9e wisdom to help me make the most out of my first couple 9e games, especiallyaround subjects like secondary objectives.

Sounds like we will be playing lower points at first (500-1000) as most folks are in my boat as well. As such I was wondering if you guys thought any space wolves units were particularly indicative of 9e trends and that would be worth bringing to help mold my mind from 8th to 9th. My collection is quite extensive, so I can field almost anything in the codex (give or take some of the newest primaris stuff and attack bikes).

Thanks in advance!

The table sizes for the smaller games are tiny enough you shouldn't worry about transports. I'd also make sure to bring a unit that's good at handling vehicles, and dreads are good.

That said take what you want we have a pretty good book at the moment there really isn't anything terrible in it.

Eradicators are a great source of anti-tank and they shine on small tables. I often use "Cunning of the Wolf" to bring them on from a flank or even behind enemy lines on T2 to melt something valuable. If they are your primary source of anti-tank, consider upgrading them to Heavy Melta Rifles and a Multimelta. Then you can use "Keen Senses" to negate the penalty for moving and firing.

I have been having a lot of success with Heavy Intercessors and Infiltrators. They are both just a bit tougher than regular Troops choices meaning your opponents will struggle to delete them, particularly if they are distracted by something nasty charging towards them.

Dreadnoughts are finally really solid and we have a great selection to choose from. Bjorn the Fell Handed combines the benefit of HQ and small tank in a single model. Multimeltas are probably the gun arm of choice. Our melee Dreadnoughts are both good but might be overkill in small games. I am really liking my Redemptor Dreadnought in 9th edition. Even with a degrading profile, it packs an impressive punch and the Macro Plasma Cannon is great for tackling both vehicles and tough infantry.

Bladeguard Veterans, Wolf Guard Terminators and Wolf Guard with Jump Packs all make great melee units and it is worth including at least one of them, even in small games.

500 points is random hero hammer and SW suffer at this level

We can make a good melee and shooting force but have 0 psychic

I did a captain and eradicators with heavy melta.

If you face something like a Hive tyrant he can solo your entire army.

I stopped playing combat patrol games long ago bc it was not fun being in the nerfed tier

Approach it as tutorial mode to practice rules...do not expect to dominate if other players know what they are doing

Thanks for all the tips guys I appreciate them.

This is definitely tutorial mode all the way. The main reason for 500-1000 points is to get multiple games in to get the practice before they start more competitive stuff the following month. That's why I'm seeking advice on what to take. Mostly to practice stuff that will be more usable at higher point levels.

How have thundercav been treating people? There's alot of strat support and I feel like saga of the hunter saga triggered would work wonders to keep tar pitting from being a thing.

How have thundercav been treating people? There's alot of strat support and I feel like saga of the hunter saga triggered would work wonders to keep tar pitting from being a thing.

I have heard anecdotally that they are very good. They sit in the same niche as Terminators, Bladeguard and Vanguard Veterans but combine the toughness of Terminators with the speed of Vanguard Vets. I freely admit I have not tried them yet myself.

I would probably run Storm Shield + Lightning Claw on the most of the squad and put a Thunder Hammer on the Pack Leader. 3 is not really enough to pose a threat, I think 5 is probably about right. That has the advantage that you can buy 2 boxes, build a squad of 5 and turn the last into either a Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf. Saga of the Bear and Pelt of the Balewulf make an incredibly tough Warlord.

The other option is to load up with more Fists/Hammers and take a Primaris Chaplain/Wolf Priest on Bike to lead them. He is a really solid Character and Litany of Hate will give them full rerolls. This also has the bonus that you can use the "Healing Balms" stratagem to patch the squad up a bit during battle.

If running a Wolf Lord, you could give him the Chapter Master upgrade so he can grant the entire pack full rerolls to-Hit.

Edited by Karhedron

I run two squads of four and I love them. I use them as "anvil" units and not  as "hammers", because there quit tough and will be the first things running up the board. Also the three grip & bite attacks make it good against infantry and hords, so putting heavy anti tank weapons on them doesn't make sense to me.

So I run them up the table as a first wave to grab the midfield objectives, all with storm shields and chainswords to keep them affordable and deal a lot of attacks. a thunder hammer on the sergeant to have a bit of extra punch in case you encounter a character or something.

Especially with a character with hunter en rites of war this will be a pain in the ass for your opponent until your reinforcements come in.

The biggest downside for me are the large base's

all with storm shields and chainswords to keep them affordable and deal a lot of attacks.

Point for point, Lightning Claws are better at clearing chaff than chainswords. You get the same +1A but an extra point of AP and rerolls to wound. This also means that they can threaten tougher targets where Chainswords would struggle. IMHO, points upgrading chainswords to Lightning Claws are well spent, even if you are only using them against infantry.

I will run the numbers for a TWC rider against a variety of targets. I am assuming we have the charge so bother weapons give 4A hitting on 2s.

Chainswords VS

GEQ = 1.85 wounds (24.3 points per wound)

Orks = 1.67 wounds (27 points per wound)

MEQs = 0.833 wounds (54 points per wound)

Lightning claw VS

GEQ = 2.96 wounds (16.9 points per wound)

Orks = 2.5 wounds (20 points per wound)

MEQs = 1.67 wounds (30 points per wound)

For +5 points per model, Lightning claws far outperform chainswords against any type of Infantry.

Edited by Karhedron

all with storm shields and chainswords to keep them affordable and deal a lot of attacks.

Point for point, Lightning Claws are better at clearing chaff than chainswords. You get the same +1A but an extra point of AP and rerolls to wound. This also means that they can threaten tougher targets where Chainswords would struggle. IMHO, points upgrading chainswords to Lightning Claws are well spent, even if you are only using them against infantry.

I will run the numbers for a TWC rider against a variety of targets. I am assuming we have the charge so bother weapons give 4A hitting on 2s.

Chainswords VS

GEQ = 1.85 wounds (24.3 points per wound)

Orks = 1.67 wounds (27 points per wound)

MEQs = 0.833 wounds (54 points per wound)

Lightning claw VS

GEQ = 2.96 wounds (16.9 points per wound)

Orks = 2.5 wounds (20 points per wound)

MEQs = 1.67 wounds (30 points per wound)

For +5 points per model, Lightning claws far outperform chainswords against any type of Infantry.

you'r absolutly right. Lightning claws are amazing. I just have nothing equipped with them so I'm not running them myself yet.

I don’t use thunderwolves. I love the models but they are big and hard to fit between other models to get to certain units. They also can’t go up floors/ scale terrain and so can’t reach beyond 5” vertically. Plenty of opponents will stay outside their reach and shoot them to pieces. If your playing friendly games then go for it but they may not perform as expected during competitive play.

I personally love Wulfen and 500-1000pt games are a sweet spot for them. They are still crazy dangerous this edition and my local FLGS fears them. They are fast enough and the boards are small. I have used them in every game I have played in 9th since it dropped last year. They are incredible as successors with whirlwind of rage and born heroes. They only way to deal with them is shoot them and that’s assuming my opponent can gain LOS on them with the prevalence of obscuring terrain. Even if they do I’m utilizing cover spells or terrain to boost them to 2+ sv and -1 to hit.

I could do a detailed comparison but that would take a while. I prefer the damage dealing ability of the Wulfen over the durability of the thunderwolves at the same price with hammers and shields at 195pts for 5 and 3 respectively.

Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84

• 2 weeks later...

So I played 2 games, 1 at 500 points, 1 at 1000 points, and short was I tabled both opponents and won on points. 500 point game was Space wolves 61 to Custodes ~35. 1000 point games was Space Wolves 71 to Eldar 45.

Here is a quick batrep of each (didn't take real heavy notes so they are short and to the point)

My list

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [25 PL, 500pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selector**: Space Wolves

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Chaplain [6 PL, 115pts]: Champion of Humanity, Jump Pack, Power fist, Warlord

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle

. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor Sergeant

. Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

++ Total: [25 PL, 500pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

His list

Load outs unsure:

Shield captain

Banner guy with -1 to hit banner

2x 3 man custodian guard

Mission- the 4 pillars

My secondaries, while we stand we fight, and Assassinate

His secondaries, Cut off the head, and I can't recall his other but might have been while we stand we fight as well.

At lower points custodes don't seem to have the board presence to hold objectives, I ended up maxing primaries just from running my intercessors to objectives and occupying him with the dread and Priest. We made a few errors but a friend of ours helped us keep straight with 9e rules overall. While we stand we fight was pretty good at low points but I suspect at higher points it would have been less so as they become priority targets and likely won't make it. Assassinate was decent because of his 2 characters with little to protect them but overall 3/ character seems light, he killed mybpeeiest in the second turn making cut off the head a decent pick for him. But he was never able to hold 2 objectives for primary so ended up with my victory.

My list

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [53 PL, 2CP, 1,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [3CP]: 1. Combat Patrol (0-50 Total PL / 0-500 Points)

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Chaplain [7 PL, -1CP, 140pts]: 4. Mantra of Strength, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Hunter, Jump Pack, Power fist, Stratagem: Warrior of Legend, Warlord, Wise Orator

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 120pts]

. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine

. Infiltrator Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 140pts]: Bolt rifle

. 6x Intercessor: 6x Bolt pistol, 6x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Fast Attack +

Thunderwolf Cavalry [14 PL, 280pts]

. Thunderwolf Cavalry: Lightning Claw, Storm shield

. Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader: Power fist, Storm shield

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 135pts]: Melta rifle

. 2x Eradicator: 2x Bolt pistol

. Eradicator Sgt

++ Total: [53 PL, 2CP, 1,000pts] ++

His list

Not sure of exact loadouts but he brought the following:

Farseer on bike

2x 5 man dire avengers

1 wave serpent

1 Fire prism

5 rangers

3 war walkers

Mission parameters

My secondaries, Oath of Moment, raise the banners, and Bring it down.

His secondaries, engage on all fronts, raise the banners, and while we stand we fight.

This game was against our most experienced 9e player (he and his brother live together and both play so they played all through covid).He acted as a guide through my first game helping me and my opponent keep track of all the new rules.

This game against Eldar started pretty even but between me forcing him to basically stay in his deployment zone through pressure from the thunder wolves and infiltrators and Priest i managed to run away with it towards the end tearing down his banners and removing his ability to hold objectives by killing off his dire avengers. Also those Eradicators are brutal, even 3 was sufficient to drop his wave serpent and all but 4 wounds on his fire prism before they got killed.

All in all I was very pleased. The Redemptor got lots of work done both games, though I think I will switch to the plasma cannon next time and see if a higher damage gun helps him out a bit.

Most of these units will stick in my list, might swap the preist for something different if anyone has any thoughts. The 4 wounds was his main downfall i actually liked all things but his survivability.

As to secondaries, I nearly maxed Oath of Moment in my second game and that one was easily my favorite of the night. I did like the raise the banners as well though in a lower objective game I think I might have had a harder time, the 6 objectives was pretty beneficial for that as I was able to raise 3 by turn 2 and hold him off of them so they just ticked up points. 9th is definitely a play the mission edition though. I definitely felt choosing to raise banners over shooting with units was a worthwhile choice when it presented itself and in my theory crafting I thought I'd miss those shots but in game turns out they would have mattered little.

Might tweak a bit for next weeks 1k games but I really liked the 1000 point list I feel like it could do work.

Edited by Rune Priest Jbickb

If you like eradicators...wait until you try HEAVY MELTA eradicators

Only downside is you spend the keen senses on them...but that is basically getting +2 damage on each wound that goes through

The chaplain makes an amazing buff hero at low points too

+1 hit and +1 wound closest turns your redemptor into a buzz saw of death.  

If you want reroll hits or wounds just pop wisdom of the ancients for the redemptor himself

The major change you will notice on the plasma is the D6 number of shots will always make you sad.  I have a reputation for rolling 1s and 2s all the time.  The other known space wolf in the T5S2 who runs redemptors had a reputation for rolling 5s and 6s all the time.  

Basically...it is more a psychological fear weapon than something you can rely on when needed

I still pick it b/c S9 AP4 is a great weapon for the current meta

Good gaming.  Keep the reports coming!

If you like eradicators...wait until you try HEAVY MELTA eradicators

Only downside is you spend the keen senses on them...but that is basically getting +2 damage on each wound that goes through

The chaplain makes an amazing buff hero at low points too

+1 hit and +1 wound closest turns your redemptor into a buzz saw of death.

If you want reroll hits or wounds just pop wisdom of the ancients for the redemptor himself

The major change you will notice on the plasma is the D6 number of shots will always make you sad. I have a reputation for rolling 1s and 2s all the time. The other known space wolf in the T5S2 who runs redemptors had a reputation for rolling 5s and 6s all the time.

Basically...it is more a psychological fear weapon than something you can rely on when needed

I still pick it b/c S9 AP4 is a great weapon for the current meta

Good gaming. Keep the reports coming!

I agree with all of this. Heavy melta eradicators do serious work for me. 3 took down a harridan with keen senses. I also roll 1s consistently for number of macro plasma shots.I’ll take a crappy step further the other day I spent a CP to Reroll number of shots and rolled another 1 what the hell! Fickle dice hate me. Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84

Random shots does make me a touch sad. But I figure its worth a go to see which makes me happier, the dakka build really did alot of work I was just wishing for like D2

When you do the heavy melta guys, do you guys use a multi-melta as well?

I usually use the barebones 3 man with heavy melta.

I have never experimented with 5 points more for a MM but I have theory crafted it.

8 shots total (4 shots bonus damage...4 shots regular damage) seems more reliable than 6 shots total.

Bonus damage is great for hunting W3+ stuff and guaranteeing the kill

The MM version loses some punch but gains flexibility by providing more shots against weaker targets

Give it a spin and let us know

Random shots does make me a touch sad. But I figure its worth a go to see which makes me happier, the dakka build really did alot of work I was just wishing for like D2

When you do the heavy melta guys, do you guys use a multi-melta as well?

I usually use the barebones 3 man with heavy melta.

I have never experimented with 5 points more for a MM but I have theory crafted it.

8 shots total (4 shots bonus damage...4 shots regular damage) seems more reliable than 6 shots total.

Bonus damage is great for hunting W3+ stuff and guaranteeing the kill

The MM version loses some punch but gains flexibility by providing more shots against weaker targets

Give it a spin and let us know

I use the multi melta regardless of melta variant. The extra shots also help if the squad is shooting outside of 12”. Weather on purpose or because your opponent caused you to deploy outside of the desired range.

I crunched the numbers and the Multimelta is always worth is points. It is best if you are stationary or can ignore the penalty for moving and firing Heavy Weapons (e.g. Keen Senses) but even on the move, the extra killing power is worth the points.

#NumberCrunch :biggrin.:

Base Eradicator costs 45 points, 50 for heavy and 55 for MM. Let's check the stats when firing at a T8 3+ target since this encompasses most races' MBTs. Let's also assume they are within 12" but moved (since they would be lucky to have enemy just drive into melta range biggrin.png ).

Base 3.67 wounds or 0.081 wounds per point

Heavy 3.75 wounds or 0.075 wounds per point

MM 5.5 wounds or 0.1 wounds per point

So what does this tell us? It shows that Multimeltas are definitely worth the points of the upgrade as they are 20-25% more killy than melta-rifles for their points.

On the move, heavy melta rifles are only marginally better than regular ones (they are actually worse point-for-point). Also the Heavy variants cannot Advance and fire. Granted you are not likely to want to do this often since you lose the double-tap.

The multi-melta however is a solid upgrade over the regular melta rifle and you should take it, even if you expect the squad to be moving. The 4 shots more than makes up for the extra cost.

The armies that can make the best use of Heavy melta rifles are the ones that have abilities to ignore negative penalties for shooting. Space Wolf "Keen Senses" is really good on Eradicators and we may actually be one of the best Chapters to use the Heavy variants.

Alright so between the advice here and tge advice from lonewolf82's army list thread I think I will tweak my list as follows:

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [52 PL, 2CP, 1,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Primaris Librarian [6 PL, -1CP, 120pts]: 1) Veil of Time, 2) Might of Heroes, 6) Psychic Fortress (Aura), Chapter Command: Chief Librarian, Psychic Mastery, Resolve of the Bear, Stratagem: Warrior of Legend, The Armour of Russ, Warlord

+ Troops +

. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine

. Infiltrator Sergeant

. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Fast Attack +

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 155pts]: Heavy melta rifle

. Eradicator

. Eradicator Sgt

. Eradicator with MM: Multi-melta

++ Total: [52 PL, 2CP, 1,000pts] ++

So gunna try the heavy meltas and gunna try a rune priest instead of the wolf priest. I think those codex powers will be strong on either the dread or the Cavalry.

One concern I do have with tge heavy rifles is tgey don't get tge benefits of the Tactical doctrine like tge assault variant, but for now I will give tge heavy a go and see if I like it.

Karhedron, does your math look at doctrine at all or is it without doctrine?

I've been running two units of Eradicators in 2000 point games for awhile now. I run 1 unit with heavy rifles and a multimelta, the second unit unit just has the base gun. I really like the combination because I can only use keen senses on one unit and if I'm going to use it I want the maximum benefit. 

I will add that comparing damage just at half range ignores on of the primary benefits of the heavy variant. 3 D minimum is relevant against a lot of good units, and against armies that screen well that bonus damage can be huge.

@Rune Priest Jbickb - There really aren't many units with 2+ saves that don't already have an invulnerable save, and the ability to grant vehicles a cover save is pretty rare. I don't think you'll notice the lack of a doctrine bonus that much, that said plan on using keen senses.

Alright so between the advice here and tge advice from lonewolf82's army list thread I think I will tweak my list as follows:

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [52 PL, 2CP, 1,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Primaris Librarian [6 PL, -1CP, 120pts]: 1) Veil of Time, 2) Might of Heroes, 6) Psychic Fortress (Aura), Chapter Command: Chief Librarian, Psychic Mastery, Resolve of the Bear, Stratagem: Warrior of Legend, The Armour of Russ, Warlord

+ Troops +

. Infiltrator Sergeant

+ Elites +

+ Fast Attack +

+ Heavy Support +

. Eradicator

. Eradicator Sgt

So gunna try the heavy meltas and gunna try a rune priest instead of the wolf priest. I think those codex powers will be strong on either the dread or the Cavalry.

One concern I do have with tge heavy rifles is tgey don't get tge benefits of the Tactical doctrine like tge assault variant, but for now I will give tge heavy a go and see if I like it.

Looks solid. How is it playing out for you?

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

. Infiltrator Sergeant

+ Elites +

+ Fast Attack +

+ Heavy Support +

. Eradicator

. Eradicator Sgt

Looks solid. How is it playing out for you?
Played Tuesday but my week was nuts so haven't had time to post til today.

Due to the time gap these will be brief reports.

My first game was against Nids:

Game 1 report:

This game didn't use the list exactly as above because we played at 650 points (thus is a popular point value at my FLGS because we run tournaments once a month at that point value, its small enough to get 3 games in on a Tuesday night) I was 5 over but he didn't mind as he nlknew i hadn't planned for the game sive and he added something to a carbine to balance it out.

My list

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [33 PL, 3CP, 655pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Primaris Librarian [6 PL, 120pts]: 2) Might of Heroes, 5) Fury of the Ancients, 6) Psychic Fortress (Aura), Chapter Command: Chief Librarian, Warlord

+ Troops +

. Infiltrator Sergeant

. Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 180pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 135pts]: Melta rifle

. 2x Eradicator: 2x Bolt pistol

. Eradicator Sgt

++ Total: [33 PL, 3CP, 655pts] ++

His list

Hive tyrant

12 hormagaunts

12 Termagaunts

2 Carnifex

Mission- Ascension

My secondaries- bring it down, oath of Moment

His secondaries- Ascend, No Prisoners

This was a big learning game for my opponent as it was his first 9e game. I Tabled him turn 3 due to some bad decisions he made like charging his Hive tyrant into my Redemptor and leaving a big hole for me to pop in with outflanked Eradicators and drop his Carnifexes. He also seemed to be playing to kill me, not the mission, so the score was pretty lopsided at something like 74-13. After we chatted about his mistakes and he did alot better in his next game versus another opponent. Not sure if he won or not but he mentioned it went much better.

Game 2 report

This was a 1000 point game using the list I planned to use that night.

My list

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

. Infiltrator Sergeant

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Fast Attack +

+ Heavy Support +

. Eradicator

. Eradicator Sgt

His list

Grey Knights

Grandmaster

Librarian

2 Terminator squads

1 paladin squad (i think)

1 squad of flamer guys

Mission- the raid

My secondaries- Oath of Moment, Raise the banners, Cut off the head

His secondaries- Engage on all fronts, Line breaker, Raid supply lines

I went first

This game started off pretty close except my opponent made 1 key mistake, he moved his warlord in charge range for the Dreadnought turn 1. This allowed me to Max cut off the head. From there we battled it out over objectives. He did good keeping me from hold more and played a pretty aggressive game. The volume of storm bolters was impressive, but in the end the plasma and melta did the job and soace wolves won the day. I did lose my Dreadnought in this fight to a couple Nemesis Daemon Hammers, that was the first time he dropped but it was late gsme and he had done plenty before falling.

We did realize after the game that he accidentally picked 2 secondaries from the same category but it ended up not being an issue. Live and learn

Side note, I didn't realize greyknights still had the old wound scheme of 1 wound guys 2 wound Terminators, that's super unfortunate, Gw should get on that.

All in all Tuesday was another fun night of Warhammer. My takeaways were the following:

Plasma vs gatling loadout on dreadvi think are equal in the end those of you who pointed out how swingy D6 shots are were certainly correct but with a decent roll they are probably a bit better than Gatling. Just hard to guarantee a decent roll.

I found the heavy Eradicators a bit stronger but they required a heavier CP investment than the assault one. I think in lower point? And therefore lower CP games the assault variant is more than acceptable. In a larger grenades I would likely bring one of each.

I think I prefer the jump pack priest to the rune preist but I'm gunna give him a bit more of a go. He kept getting denied but I was playing versus highly psychic foes.

The troops have been serving my needs well also. No issues there. Time to get to tweaking.

Edit: tried to fix spoilers, not sure why they aren't working here with the same format I used previously

Edit2: thanks TiguriusX, for catching my error on the spoilers

Edited by Rune Priest Jbickb